Were the polls in the last Presidential election engineered to try and sway the outcome?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DearthnVader, Sep 13, 2017.

?

Were polls intentionally bias?

1. As a Trump supporter, I feel there was bias to try and win it for Hillary

8 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. As a Trump suporter, I feel there was no bias.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. As a Trump detractor I feel the polls were honest.

8 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. As a Trump detractor I feel there was bias to try and sway the election for Hillary.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Just like to get a general feeling among Trump supporters, and his detractors as to who believes the media and pollsters were trying to sway the election.

2. niploteksi macrumors regular

3. edk99 macrumors 6502a

More then any Russia involvement that is for sure.

4. DearthnVader thread starter macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Maybe, but isn't that how polls work, you limit the choices, and word them in a way to try and get the outcome you are hoping for.:rolleyes:
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    I think, after the election, people were starting to ask, " How were so many polls so wrong.", so the media spun up the "Russian story".

5. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

You really believe that? Show me any kind of hard proof if you can?

Fake liberal media at its finest.

6. DearthnVader thread starter macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

I think one of us misunderstood the point @edk99 was trying to make, could have been me.

7. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I assumed he meant to type anything as oppose to any? Other than that the statement doesn't make much sense.

But with all that aside, let's stop bringing up Russia.

8. 0007776 Suspended

Things were generally within the margin of error. There wasn't anything wrong with the polls, just a bunch of people in both the media and the general public who are bad at understanding statistics.

9. DearthnVader thread starter macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

I noticed you didn't vote in the poll, could lead to a less then accurate conclusion.

10. steve knight macrumors 68030

steve knight

I doubt any proof would be enough for you.

11. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

That's not true at all. The problem is there isn't any proof because it didn't happen.

12. obeygiant, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Before the election I actually BELIEVED CNN and the media! Can you believe that?

Remember people predicting 357 electoral votes for Clinton? 307? Thats a huge margin for error.

13. DearthnVader thread starter macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

The media, is, of course, trying to sell you something. Mostly the products in their paid advertisements, but also the products that the corporations that make up their stock holders. They consider the demographic of who they want to sell to, and who their core audience is.

CNN's core audience is liberals, not as much as MSMBC, but the bias is apparent in their programing, and I think that is the key word, programing, you are not being given objective facts, then left alone to draw your own conclusions. They give you some facts, then there is the endless line of pundits to tell you what it all is supposed to mean to you.

Fox, and others do the same thing for conservatives.

People like to believe things that reinforce their views, it's a form of propaganda, or, if you will, brainwashing. Usually it just leads to the separation of you and your money, but sometimes it's quite dangerous, when you consider how many of the "major" networks are owned, at least in part by defense contractors that turn high profits with perpetual war.

14. 0007776 Suspended

I don't think there was an accurate option for me to chose. I'm definitely not a Trump supporter, but I wouldn't say I'm a detractor either, and those were the only options you gave.

15. steve knight macrumors 68030

steve knight

Jesus half of his cabinet lied about dealing with Russia including trump. Russia paid for political ads benefiting trump. There is a big investigation all fake I know.

16. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

17. DearthnVader thread starter macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

What is the actual law/laws you are accusing President Trump of breaking, and where is you evidence?

18. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

I didn't vote because I think the responses are not really meaningful. That's not a criticism of the OP's underlying question, though, which I think is an interesting one. I'm still quite interested in how the pollsters got the actual voting result so wrong.

A basic starting premise is that reputable polling firms do not want to be wrong. Why? Because it negatively affects their credibility going forward. Now, that said, I do think most of the polls were clearly flawed, but not intentionally engineered to favor a particular candidate. Sure, there probably were some "push polls" that were targeting a specific outcome, but the polling firms that honestly wanted to get at the right answer clearly missed a few things, especially since the polls were so far off from the actual voting result. Hopefully they will learn from that.

19. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I definitely believe the media was trying to sway it. The pollsters? No. Otherwise they would have had him closer to try and engage her base to get out and vote.

I think the pollsters just do not have a good predictive model as to who is going to turn out in any given election. And why do we do national polls anyway? Yeah they are nice to read, but for President, it should be based on electoral college votes. I know they have models based on the spread in the nation polls, but there need to be real state by state polls. Even in that scenario, the turnout models have to get better.

20. MacNut, Sep 13, 2017

MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

You left out, I'm a Trump detractor and there was a media bias for Trump.

21. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

22. steve knight macrumors 68030

steve knight

thats what the investigation is for now isn't it. why would there be so much lying if they were so innocent? I think the level of lying has hit epic levels.

23. DearthnVader, Sep 13, 2017

DearthnVader thread starter macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

The media, of course, reports on polls, otherwise we'd hardly know they existed.

Most polls are state by state, in presidential elections.

I feel that far too many polls used flawed methods, whether that was intentional or not is far to subjective, however when the pollsters get too many states so wrong, being outside the margin of error they stated for their own poll, I think they need to reexamine themselves.

People lie, they say they are a likely voter, when they are not, or they say they are likely to vote one way, and they vote another. I don't feel I owe some stranger on the phone the truth, or I may just change my mind. It's hard to account for that, but if we see a pattern of polls in future elections that are outside the margin of error, or we see poles that widen the margin of error to the point where they are just admitting they don't have a clue, then I think people will just start ignoring them altogether.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    So you admit, you don't know that any laws were broken, and you have no evidence, but you're hoping your witch hunt turns up the results you want.

Let's just be done with it, throw President Trump in the river, if he can swim, he's a witch and we'll burn him at the stake, if he drowns, he's not a witch, but we're rid of him just the same.:rolleyes:

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Is it based on just a feeling, or on actual knowledge? What methods do you consider the most flawed? When will you begin your new career as the poll police?

25. DearthnVader thread starter macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

I'll be the polling police so long as I'm free.

When the polling results are outside the stated margin of error, something has gone wrong, what that something was can be hard to pin down, I have my own feelings on it, but I don't feel like doing posters jobs for them. I was pretty sure Trump was going to win the election, even though the polls said it was a long shot, I was right, and the pollster were wrong.

I'm really starting to distrust polls, add it to the long list of things I distrust.