Were your Valdictorian in hs and similar in college?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, Apr 10, 2009.

?

Graduate with honors?

1. Valdictorian in HS only

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. Summa Cum Laude in college only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Both

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. Neither

21 vote(s)
    60.0%
  5. other, such as salutatorian in hs or cum laude or magna cum laude in college

9 vote(s)
    25.7%
  1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I ask as it seems everyone is when someone brings up anything about being responsible lol, that or im a straight a student

anyone else notice this?

if so, were you one?

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I wasn't. And no employers have ever asked about it or seemed to care one way or another.

In fact, aside from the job I had as a teacher, I've never even been asked to prove that I attended college, much less graduated.

3. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

funny you say that

throughout all the interviews i had, the thought did occur to me that you could put down whatever you wanted on your resume to pretty much get hired and then they might check up on it. put down a high gpa and no one will relaly question it but rather say "thats impressive"

a fake resume could get you a long ways...not that im ever suggesting to do that lol

some do require official transcripts though but alot dont up front at least lol. for my crrent job, i didnt have to supply that until after i started working for them

4. STSNorthstar macrumors regular

I was #3 of 120ish in high school.

My GPA in college was once at a point where it could double and not hit 3.0....

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I was one of 18 "Valedictorian Scholars" at my high school, out of about 400 in our graduating class.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I had like a 3.6 GPA in high school but I went to a pretty good high school with a bunch of people smarter than me so I was nowhere near the top of my class. I graduated university with a 3.7 GPA (4.0 in my major) so my honors were whatever a 3.7 is...magna cum laude I think? I forgot already :D

7. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

I pulled a 3.4 in high school, so no where near the top, but I believe I was about 125 out of 600, lol. Now I have a 3.96 cumulative (4.0 major) as a junior in college. Provided I don't get too many A-'s, B's, or C's, I'm on track to graduate summa cum laude and somewhere near the top of the graduating class (and almost definitely tops in the Accounting major).

The big accounting firms will check on your GPA and they tend to like higher numbers (and they've become even more selective in this economy), so I have to keep it high. Plus since I intend to go on to a top MS in Accounting program after graduation, I've got to keep it up there.

8. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

I was #4 of 26 in high school. ;)

9. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

I was a Valedictorian in Middle School...does that count?:rolleyes:

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

11. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Valedictorian here. Worked my ass off all through HS, and still got 1st after getting a B+ in Physics :eek:
    Now when I look back, it doesn't really matter :rolleyes:
    College: I took it easier on myself, A's and B's (maybe a C or two :eek:)

12. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Neither afair.

In H.S. someone screwed up the rank numberings so you had to request a new transcript or something. I never found what my actual rankings were and I didn't really care either (just wasn't important to me at the time).

In Community College I was a 3.6ish (wasn't hard to have if you take the right classes ;). I did have one of those funny ranking Laude things but I can't remember what it was exactly.

13. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

I'm 30 of 991 students in my HS class.

I have a 4.0, and i'm still 30. We have way too many smart people :p

14. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

judging by the grammar and spelling in the thread title, I would say your school must have just told everyone they were Valedictorian. Yes children, you're alllllll special

Sorry to break the news:p

15. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Ha. I know what that is like: I was salutatorian in my class, with a 4.3_ (before you ask, students are awarded +GPA points from ~0.01-0.04 for AP classes). I still got beat out for #1.

It got me into a good college, but it's never come up since. My undergrad GPA was 4.0, but that only got me into grad school.

I should also mention that GPA=money, which is about the only other useful purpose it serves.

16. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

hey it was late at night, gimme a break haha

17. Burning Radio macrumors regular

Since it's the end of the year I just found out that I'm a valedictorian of my HS class!!! #3 out of a class of 200 (give or take a few). I have a 4.04 GPA. YAY!! (now I feel like i can slack for the last 3 weeks of school)

(since i can get a free first year of college, I get my first Macbook from my Parents! It's cheaper than my tuition!!!)

18. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

dont slack, you are simply a valedictorian candidate

you arent officially valedictorian until after final grades are determined if its anything like all the schools ive been to

that last semester still counts

also, how is being #3 valedictorian? usually thats for the number 1 person

regardless, congrats!

19. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Some schools allow anyone with a 4.0+ to be collective group "valedictorian." This is true in a few larger districts.

20. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I was nowhere near validictorian. I was completely average both in high school and college. I was near# 100/325 in high school, and finished with a GPA near 3.0. Sadly, up until about 9th grade, I was a total honor roll type nerd with a near 4.0 GPA. Once I got into high school, and especially after I got my driver's license, I found better things to do with my time. I figured out I could brush up the night before a test, and still get a B or so. I don't recommend that for anyone currently in high school, however. :)

In college, a combination of poorly chosen major and too many other interests killed my GPA. I initially majored in engineering, and it took me a while to admit that my brain didn't work well with calculus. I also had other interests that prevented me from studying as much as I should have. I managed to rebound and finish with a 2.8 GPA or so. Later in life, after I had matured a bit, I went back to school for another degree and finished with a 3.8 GPA.

Despite all of this, I have never had an employer mention anything about GPAs. As other posters have said, most employers haven't even bothered to verify that I even have a degree. I believe even the federal government didn't check when I went to work for them and had to go through a lengthy background check.

The moral of all this? Just make up stuff and put it on your resume! (I keed! :D)

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

My, but you've been in for a lot of odd navel gazing recently. :p

I was salutatorian in HS... a thing which seems very rarely to come up in any form. At Michigan I graduated summa cum laude. One could actually get one's rank upon request within one's graduating class (but only among individuals in one's college, not all finishing undergraduates at the entire university). I had to request this for something or other, perhaps for a graduate school application, so I remember vaguely that I saw it. I was something like 51 out of ... the 1500 or however many people were in the graduating engineering class of that year. Odd and largely useless information. :p

Graduating with a 4.0 at Michigan (I ended with a 3.90) also however had a lot to do with risk taking behavior... I did know people who did it and they were generally less involved in student societies and organizations and didn't take as many courses at a time or as many courses on a lark. So in hindsight it was probably worth the loss of a tenth of a grade point.

22. aethelbert macrumors 601

While I still took the more difficult classes in high school, I really didn't care about my grades. I always tried to slack to the maximum amount before my teachers would start noticing it. I always did well enough but had no desire to be #1; throw in some B+ and A- notes and there will always be someone that actually cares to do better. I think that I was somewhere around 16 of 400, so by no means did my consistent efforts to beat the system fail me. It's just odd to think about how I managed that, seeing as the school was extremely competitive.

23. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I was captain of the chess club and a head library monitor three years running. Should have been four years for the chess club but John Griggs did some gardening for Mrs Fletcher (the chess teacher's wife) and hence he was promoted ahead of me :mad:.

24. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

No, I didn't do homework in high school (and reluctantly do so in university)... that and ****ing math/chemistry 12... grrr. stupid science and numbers. I still managed to get into the honours program here in Uni, with a crappy high school GPA and a decent University one, maybe the standards are just lax :p