West Virginia senate candidate says he’s not a racist

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011

Good Lord. And this is the ad he’s currently running. He calls Chinese workers “ China People” and Mitch McConnell “cocaine Mitch”.

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Why would West Virginians vote for Blankenship anyway. He may have paid his dues to society in the slam but these are mining people he's pitching to and it was miners got killed thanks to the way his mines were managed.

On the other hand it's not mines he was talking about. Xenophobia, don't pull up the drawbridge without it.

Reactions: JayMysterio

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Was he always like this, or was he traumatized while locked up?

I'm surprised Trump hasn't thrown his support behind him.
Don Jr. is publicly saying support someone else because he thinks the GOP will lose if this guy is the candidate.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
He may have paid his dues to society in the slam
No way.

That monster got a dozen people killed because he was too greedy to look after their welfare the way he was legally obligated to do. He literally couldn't be bothered if they lived or died. For that he spent a few bats of an eye in prison when he really should have stayed there for the rest of his life.

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Good Lord. And this is the ad he’s currently running. He calls Chinese workers “ China People” and Mitch McConnell “cocaine Mitch”.

This is all made more interesting by the fact that Blankenship maintains an expensive residence in Las Vegas aside from his West Virgnia home, has considered Chinese citizenship for himself in the past, has given public interviews noting a distinction between "communism and dictatorship", admires Chinese state control of their economy and is reportedly engaged to marry a woman born in Beijing. But hey, the ad's not about him and "China people", is it. Good thing, too, since there's a lot about China and Blankenship that potential voters might find intriguing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/25/us/politics/don-blankenship-china-west-virginia.html

He expressed admiration for how Beijing exercises central control over its economy.

“Americans confuse the words communism and dictatorship,” he said. “The Chinese are running a dictatorial capitalism and it’s very effective. That’s the way corporations are run. Corporations are not a democracy.”
Gee he sounds like a guy who's right up Trump's alley. The stench off Blankenship's disgraceful mine management must still be pretty strong for Trump not to be out there tweeting support for him.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I understand why this guy is being pounced on for his clear racism. However, if people are actually interested *defeating* him they should be pointing out the deaths of multiple mine workers under his watch due to safety violations. THAT would resonate in WV, this will only reinforce those against him and his supporters will double down in response.

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Who knows what motivates someone in West Virginia when it comes to voting for a Senator this year. Blankenship's leaning hard on "Manchin's who sent me to jail." People who lost kin to that 2010 mine disaster sure aren't looking to Blankenship, but there's not much other work in W.Va so he might make headway with people still hoping for mining jobs for their kids.

Manchin's a blue dog Dem, but of course he's vulnerable in a right-shifted era of our political spectrum. The reason the GOP honchos don't want Blankenship to win their primaries is they do believe he'd lose to Manchin in the fall and that was supposed to be one of their easy pickoffs in a season when the Dems have so many seats to defend.

So Blankenship's candidacy introduces an unwelcome element of uncertainty in a deep red state that went for Trump big time. I figure the best thing for competitors in the GOP primary to do is stress Blankenship's rich life in Nevada that his hand running that mine ultimately provided for him, and just treat him like a carpetbagger made rich on the deaths of boys back home in the hills and hollers. Sure he has a house in W.Va and he's spending money made off those mines on his campaign as if he never left the state, but if he loses he'll be back playing at the golden life in Nevada the next day. On the other hand if you voted for Trump in 2016 in W.Va then there could be an aspect of liking both Blankenship and Trump as symbolic of ability to rise from ordinary American to rich guy and a high office politician. It's tricky. But the voters will sort it out in the end, and the rest of us will be left to sift through the breadcrumbs and try to figure out what made them pick which candidate.

Solomani

macrumors 68040
Sep 25, 2012
Alberto, Canado
LOL I hope he wins the primary. I also expect him to broaden his publicly racist remarks, maybe making dozens of anti-Semitic remarks next, maybe targeting 3 or 4 GOP Senators in the AIPAC, and also dissing Jared and Ivanka.

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
LOL I hope he wins the primary. I also expect him to broaden his publicly racist remarks, maybe making dozens of anti-Semitic remarks next, maybe targeting 3 or 4 GOP Senators in the AIPAC, and also dissing Jared and Ivanka.
:D Send Blankenship the scripts! Problem is, he's dumb enough to load up not only the scripted suggestions but the letter that enclosed them. One hopes W.Va voters are smarter than that but I wouldn't be too sure about Blankenship. I know he has his own money in the campaign but is he his own campaign manager too?

Those ads.. wow. To me Blankenship is just a classic example of having done wrong and being enraged at having had to pay for it. In a way his campaign is just him in a rage gone off rails. He could be taking his leisure back in Nevada with the loot from his mining-boss days, and if he had any decency he'd spend a moment now and then being grateful he got off w/ a misdemeanor conviction and a puff sentence over the Upper Big Branch Mine disaster.

But no, he's got it in his head that he only landed in the pokey in the first place because of Joe Manchin, otherwise he figures with the usual more secretive way mine disaster investigations get handled, he'd still be running the Massey mines that are now part of former competitor Alpha Natural Resources. So he figures to teach Manchin a lesson and take his Senate seat.

The GOP is horrified, figuring of the three candidates for the Republican nomination, the only one Joe can beat in the fall is Blankenship. The Dems are a little more cautious, remembering the fact that for decade after decade, W.Va miners and their families and the mine safety boards and the mine owners were engaged in an elaborate dance called whatever you do don't shut the damn mines down because people gotta eat. So it took 29 dead miners to switch that up... but people still gotta eat and there's still no jobs...

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014

Dude looks like a dork. I wouldn’t care what he stood for.

RedKite

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2017

That is so bad! He looks like a comedy character.... would love to see what kind of person votes for him :D:D

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
So, Trump tweets out this morning telling people not to vote for Blankenship. But, his only argument is that Blankenship will lose in the general election. The fact that he’s a racist responsible for killing a bunch of people is apparently not a problem for Trump.
So if he wins anyway will Trump campaign for him in the general?

Reactions: Solomani

AlliFlowers

Contributor
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
What I don't understand in all of this, is how the man is eligible to run for public office after spending time for a federal crime. In most states, you lose your voting rights for what he's done. How can you hold an office for which you can't even vote?

His very running is wrong.

Reactions: fatalogic and Huntn