Westboro Baptist Church ordered to pay $10.9m in damages

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by edesignuk, Nov 1, 2007.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

Too awesome, can't think of more deserving people to be hit with the kind of fine that will ruin them. Here's hoping the judgement stands up to the appeals they will no doubt seek.

Rev Phelps, can't think of a more deserving person that you can use the word c*** to describe. Bastard.

2. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

Tee hee.

Here's hoping that Phelps gets thrown in prison for non payment. I can see him attracting a lot of "friends" on the block. :)

3. bartelby macrumors Core

Excellent!

I hope none of the religious nutters with influence can get these twunts off!!

4. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Good, is all I have to say. After watching Louis Theroux's documentary about these animals this still isn't enough.

5. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Oi...

This sounds bad, but I'm not even sure why they bothered setting the fine. Knowing Phelps, he's going to fight this tooth and nail in the courts, and he will probably get out of it. And they'll continue picketing. He's always known right where the line of the law is, and he's always gone right up to within millimeters of that line.

What this particular class of social nutjob needs is an "accidental" atomic bomb to hit their stronghold.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You're right- this probably won't stick. I don't see it happening. Even unpopular speech is protected in the Constitution, and rightly so. As much as I hate this guy, he has a right to speak his mind.

8. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I have not read the complaint, but a person/group does not have absolute right to say what they want, especially in a case where it would be libelous, or slander to do so. I am not an attorney, but I did ready about the distinctions before. Perhaps, a fellow member can provide a professional overview for us? In lieu of that happening, this would be the difference as I recall it.

The WBC is free to comment on the policies of the government, the religious consequences (as they see them) of having gay people in the military, etc. As long as they refrain from personally attacking an individual, especially accusing them of wrong doing. They do not have the right to make unsubstantiated attacks against Lance Cpl Matthew Snyder.

The attorney for Snyder was clever to file suit against the church, rather than Phelps himself himself. I have seen cases where an individual will transfer all of their assets to their church to keep them protected from seizure in a judgement. If Phelps tries to transfer assets from the church to himself, he will run into problems with the IRS. It will be interesting to see how the appellate court rules on this.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

As previously mentioned, Phelps may be a lot of things, but when it comes to the law he's not stupid. I hope your right and the church gets sued out of existence, but somehow I doubt that will happen.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

My guess is that the church will declare bankruptcy and then Phelps and company will just start a new church and continue on.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly- this kind of hatred doesn't just go away.

12. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

Just that much? The damage this group has done is more than $10.9m (if you can even put a price on it).

13. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

They will have to forfeit their assets and a court judgement is often at the top of the creditor list, depending on State. In fact, each State has quite a bit of flexibility in how they implement and manage bankruptcy laws. OJ is an example of a civil judgement where bankruptcy has not aided him greatly. He was forced to liquify virtually all of his assets to pay the claimants. He also must continue to pay from any new assets he gains. Remember the story from ~30 days ago, where he was filmed with an expensive watch on. The estate was going to investigate, and (perhaps) seize the watch.

Bankruptcy is not a slam-dunk way to escape paying a civil judgement.

14. dopey220 macrumors 6502

dopey220

Seeing this article put a smile on my face. I hope the motherf***ers don't find a way to weasel out of it.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I agree about having the right to speak your mind, but I can definitely see this as an invasion of privacy and possibly emotional distress. Everyone deserves 1st Amendment rights, provided what they do with them isn't breaking any laws.

16. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I missed your other comment here. Unfortunately I must agree with you in totality here, Lee. Hatred runs too deep to be influenced by money. At most, you might gain silence.

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That was the argument before, that it was not only slander but invasion of privacy. Since funerals are private ceremonies and cemeteries are private property. There is of course a loop hole where you can stand outside on public property and I guess it would count as a protest, but if they hassle the mourners it could be considered harassment. There's that whole, "your rights end where mine begin" thing.

I'm sure it'll be appealed anyway, but it sure is funny to see them smacked with this.

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's just nice to see Phelps on the ass-end of a lawsuit for once...

19. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

C&L just posted a phone interview with that fruit basket. Oh my God :eek: i had only seen him once before, and that was in a much more controlled situation. This guy is seriously in need of being fitted for a straight-jacket. Remember folks, this sorry-ass, piece of sheep-dip is running free on the streets.

If you have a spare minute, you might also find interest in how -

Maybe Hannity, Phelps, O'Reilly and Lindburger can all go shopping together?

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

OMFG!@!@! The war on Halloween by the radical right has begun!

Thus when the war on Xmas starts, it will only be in retaliation.

Actually, since Halloween teaches kids to do mean things to those who don't do what you ask of them, it is really teaching you to be a conservative.

21. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Okay, I've read my post for the day. I can now retire this evening, from MR, in peace. :D

22. aquajet macrumors 68020

I caught the trailing edge of John Stossel's interview with Shirley Phelps-Roper and some other clan minion, along with eight and ten year old boys born into this most unfortunate situation. If there's one thing that can said about their arguments, it's their consistency. But hearing the children talk about how God hates fags and how they're going to hell was especially disheartening. When Stossel asked the boys what they thought a fag actually is, one of them was at a loss for words and stared blankly into the camera for several seconds.

There are many in the Phelps clan with extensive education in law and some are practicing lawyers. They've on many occasions come awfully close to what is legally acceptable. We don't know the exact details about the circumstances leading up to this lawsuit, but I can't help but think that there are some serious First Amendment issues involved. It's not difficult to imagine how many fair-minded people faced with deciding the outcome of this lawsuit could set aside free speech in order to serve the needs of the folks on the receiving end of the WBC's vile shenanigans. It appears as if there are a few people in this thread willing to do the same. I think it's important to remember that none of us have the right to not be offended or have our feelings hurt and that the First Amendment applies especially in cases such as this. I mean, when's the last time popular ideas needed protection?

If this case is indeed about silencing what a preacher preaches, as Fred himself put it, then it is a sad day for free speech and the justice system.

23. takao macrumors 68040

takao

trick or treating is one of the reasons i don't like halloween (besides that it is an imported custom and that it is used as a reason for parties around a day meant for praying for the dead)

24. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Hold on! Let me get this straight:

A bunch of bible thumpers were picketing outside of a Marine's funeral (whom was killed while in service to his country) just because he so happened to be gay?

You're kidding me, right? :mad:

25. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

No he wasn't gay. God allowed the soldier to be killed to punish the US for their increasingly liberal attitude towards gays.