Westboro Baptist Church to protest Elizabeth Edwards' Funeral

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Dec 9, 2010.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Now this really ****** me off. John may have been a jerk, but Elizabeth was a very beautiful woman, inside and out. It's already going to be bad enough that her 10 and 12 y.o. children are going to have to grow up without their mother...

... but these ******** from Westboro are now going to be protesting at her funeral for 'American immorality'. These people need to have their loved ones die and see how they like it. She didn't deserve the crap John put her through, nor the cancer that claimed her, and doesn't deserve this either.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40587353/ns/us_news-life/

I'm beyond livid on this one.

BL.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I've come to the realization that people should be honored to have the Westboro *******s pickett their funeral. If they protest at your funeral, that just means you were a great person and did good things in your life.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

They seem to be more of a cult than a church. I don't understand how people let them get away with this crap. Free speech is one thing but this borders on harassment.

4. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

You know...

I never thought about it that way, and using their ignorance and stupidity to your advantage may be the best vengeful salve to be thrown back at them. Thanks for giving another way to think about it.

BL.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

That's how they make their money. They're all lawyers and know exactly where the line between free speech and harassment is and don't cross it, and when someone tries to push back and take away their rights or gets physical with them, they sue and win.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I should not have to deal with their crap during a funeral though. I say turn it around on them and make their lives a living hell.
    Protesting in front of a funeral is harassment not free speech that is the difference

7. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

I'm totally not advocating it, especially since I'm very anti-gun, but is anyone else surprised there hasn't been a "second amendment remedy" against these people? I mean, their approval rating has to hover around Osama bin Laden's among American people. :p

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I wouldn't mind holding a sign over by their church saying "god hates baptists" but there's that whole "we are better than them" because we don't.

they're a$$holes bottom line. I think i saw an interview where the question was posed "why do you protest this way- to what end?" They reply was something like, "if we protest in the worst possible manner, when people come up to us they're true spirit is revealed in the way they respond to us." Go figure on that one.

9. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

"if we protest in the worst possible manner, our true spirit is revealed."

Fixed that for them.

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It's cases like this one where there is popular support for eroding the First Amendment--and its scary. As horrible as their demonstrations are, it would really come back to haunt us if we started preventing people from demonstrating. Almost any demonstration could be defined as "harassment" or even "exploitive".

I don't think we should let a relatively small group of crazies destroy a very important right.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I hate these bastards but will defend their 1st amendment rights.

12. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I generally agree - but that's easy to say until it happens to you, if you know what I mean. It may be legal, but to intrude on a funeral in this way is simply reprehensible.

The group is a cult, and one has to assume it won't long outlive its founder. It's basically an extended family of 70-odd people who are in thrall of their crazy grandpappy.

13. iJohnHenry, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010

iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Fair enough, but there must be some type of exclusion zone, to allow this to occur without anguish for grieving children.

Perhaps an off-shoot of the "You can't yell FIRE in a crowded venue"??

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

15. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Birds gotta fly, fish gotta swim, and disgusting a-holes gotta spew **** everywhere.

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Then it behoves us to "educate" the great unwashed, to not pay tribute to these "offerings", by watching.

Perhaps a better site for hacking might be the Nielsen rating system. :rolleyes:

17. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Very true. If the media self-imposed a blackout on the Phelps gang, they would die on the vine.

Too bad it can't work that way. People find things like that too shocking to ignore.

18. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Damn suicide bombers never blow themselves up where you need them to.

19. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Anyone ever read the Wiki page on Phelps? It's angering and sick, sure but it is also sad to see what (his guardians caused?) his hatred has caused him to do. I feel extremely sorry for the guy and his whole family. All very hateful and lonely sad people it seems.

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

So, what ever happened to suffering in silence, or at least getting counselling for emotional abuse??

He does himself no favours, by acting out his anger in situations such as this.

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Agreed.

Unfortunately, *******s are best endured or ignored.

22. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Indeed, his cult is largely financed through legal expertise. Just think how screwed society would be if most lawyers went bad like this...

The best thing society can do is contain but otherwise ignore him.

23. freeny, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2010

freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

$20 says every last one of them is a card carrying Tea Partier

24. Lord Blackadder, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2010

Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

This might be the only time I ever say bthis, but the Tea Party is moderate compared with these people.