Westboro Church Member Gets Beat Up

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by obeygiant, Apr 27, 2011.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The church was unable to protest at the funeral of USMC Staff Sgt. Jason Rogers, who was killed in action in Afghanistan April 7.

link

Well praise the ****ing lord!

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

3. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

That's a series of very fortunate coincidences.

4. wpotere Guest

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

He slipped on the soap... but seriously, let's not give these nutters anymore attention.

6. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

7. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

this should happen more often to those clowns. sometimes thats whats needed.

8. ender land macrumors 6502a

As much as it is sad that someone gets beaten up, I have a really hard time feeling bad when it happens to these folks.

These guys have my respect for what they do -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot_Guard_Riders

9. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Surely you arent advocating violence?

I disagree with everything Westboro does, and I'm glad they werent able to make it to this funeral, but one would be just as detestable as the church if one condones and promotes violence.

10. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

11. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Nothing too crazy, but a black eye wouldn't hurt some of those crazies.

12. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

13. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Almost seems to good to be true! Great stuff if it did. Had to chuckle at the whole situation from the beating up and now witnesses to the cars being blocked in. Doesn't get any better then this.

14. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

I'll be the first to break rank.

Until someone physically threatens or assaults you, there is no justification in violence.

I may disagree with some of your political positions JUST as feverishly as we all disagree with these WBC people, but it still does not give me the right to dole out vigilante justice in the form of an ass-whooping just because we disagree on things.

Right?

15. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

Damn, that's the nicest thing ive seen all day. About time someone stood up to those nut-jobs and their crazy psycho pastor.

16. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

You weren't the first. :D

My heart doesn't want to admit it, but my head agrees with you. Why stoop to the level of these scum bags? It will only further their cause and give them more undeserved media attention.

The best we can do with these nuts is ignore them and just hope they will go away.

17. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

The best way to give these people their comeuppance is to ignore them. Networks need to stop covering them. Bystanders need to just walk on by and litterally NOT even acknowledge them.

Think about it in terms of a pet of a child. Which is more damaging to their psyche? A little spanking, or being simply ignored?

18. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

Ah yes, stifling free speech in true Nazi fashion.

I don't agree with the Westboro Baptist Church's message but that doesn't mean they don't have the right to say it.

I especially don't agree with violent intimidation.

19. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

I'm truly sorry you feel that way.

20. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Not quite full of win, but a start.

While I disagree with the Westboro Churches message and tactics, physical violence and a lack of co-operation in the investigation are detestable acts in their own right.

However, the whole parking lot thing was brilliant; kind of a non-violent protest of protesters that did no harm other than to inconvenience. The whole detention of protesters is kind of fascist in a way... unless they were questioned about witnessing the beating, then it was a legit request by the police.

21. codymac macrumors 6502

Not that I've seen which is why I refrained from posting it here over the weekend.

Closest I've been able to find is a blog writeup on the Tennessean's (newspaper) site but it fails to confirm any involvement from the Sherriff's office, etc.

That would be understandable though, since I could see local law enforcement not wanting to officially confirm such actions.

22. bassfingers macrumors 6502

bassfingers

What on earth has made us all so soft? What are we in elementary school? When you say awful awful things like these people do, they deserve a good punch in the face. They have all the freedom in the world to say it, but they just need to understand the consequences

23. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I was just going to post something like this. The people pushing back against the dorks in the WBC is nothing "nazi" or "advocating violence". We live in such a cushy society that a punch in the face to someone who has caused much suffering is considered "violent"? Bullcrap. Maybe we really are becoming a Nation of Wimps.

24. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

I would typically agree, but if we are going to have a standard, everybody better follow it.

What I find terrifying about this thread is the "cheerleading" of an assault.
    Like it or not, the courts have determined that these loons have a right to spout their idiocy. This does not give me or anyone else who disagrees with said idiocy the right to physically harm them.

Obeygiant- Step back and look at it. They are cheering because someone assaulted someone they do not agree with.
    Many of the people cheering are ones that you and I would probably furiously disagree with on a multitude of issues, I imagine we would disagree to an extent approaching how much we disagree with WBCs tactics.

Now what if one of them had beaten up you or me because they were so opposed to our views?

25. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

hmmmmm, it does seem that obeygiant has just given anybody and everybody license to punch him if they find what he says to be disgusting......