Westboro to Picket McMillen Graduation

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Apr 26, 2010.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/04/26/Westboro_to_Picket_McMillen_Graduation/

It's too bad that any of this ever happened. It could have been so easily avoided.

2. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

Poor girl. She just wanted to be treated like everyone else and now she is at the center of attention of a bunch of bigoted morons.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

That's just sad all the way around. But the jackal Phelps knows his con law, and is just using this as another attempt to bait someone into taking action against him so that he can sue.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Phelps and his group are pathetic.

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

And we're not talking about just Westboro. Think about how much fun this is going to be for her when her classmates blame her for it.

Yes, he does. And I maintain that he has a right to protest. But we also have the right to call him and his family morons.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Those people are disgusting.

Technically she is lying with womankind, so what's the problem? ;)

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Or jackals. ;)

And I will continue to exercise that right when it comes to these disgusting lowlives.

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I laughed about that too. :)

9. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It's awful this girl has to go through this. However, every time Phelps conducts one of his outrageous protests, it merely serves to further discredit the religious right. This high school now has to deal with a group that also conducts protests at the funerals of U.S. soldiers. I hope the administrators at the school who were responsible for keeping her from the prom are sufficiently embarrassed.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I don't think this has anything to do with the religious right, I don't know a single church going person that agrees with this group due to them protesting soldiers funerals.

11. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I do too. But I wouldn't bet on it.

I wonder about that. This isn't a soldier's funeral, it's a lesbian's graduation. I bet you could find a few that would side with Westboro on this.

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They may silently agree, but you will be hard pressed to find someone who would stand behind westboro because of their past actions. Theres not really a quicker way to piss the right off than saying soldiers deserve to die.

13. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Sadly, I think you're completely right. If Westboro had taken this tack all along --you know, actually protesting at events that somehow actually relate to homosexuality rather than at military funerals, which are virtually sacred in the U.S. they'd probably have a lot of supporters.

14. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

True on all points.

Oh for sure. If they had not gone the soldier route, I have no doubt that they would be the darlings of many on the right.

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

But only American soldiers, right?

16. Queso macrumors G4

You can tell a lot about people by the company they keep.

17. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm sorry, I'm confused by that. :confused:

18. Queso macrumors G4

The good townspeople and the WBC seem to have opinions in common. They've brought this circus down on their town. I hope they enjoy it.

19. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Karma IS a bitch. It just doesn't usually happen this quickly. :)

20. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

These sorts of stories make me sick. I do not understand people that actually believe the stuff that Fred Phelps spits out.

It would almost be worth the jail time to cold cock this guy one.

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It wouldn't just be jail time. These guys are professional litigators. They'd not only press assault charges, but also sue you for civil damages. Their track record of winning lawsuits is quite impressive. Specially for such degenerate scum.

Damn I love exercising my free speech rights when it comes to the Phelps'...

22. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh- they know exactly what they're doing when it comes to the law.

23. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

More interestingly, if I recall correctly one is hard pressed to find any opposition at all in the Bible to lesbianism.

More recent (and more liberal) "plain English" translations often elide the nuance, turning something like "do not lie with mankind as with womankind; it is abomination" into something more simplistic along the lines of "being gay makes God mad," which captures the biases of the translators more than the denotative value of the text. The more layers of translation one unwinds, the more specifically male-focused the sentiment becomes.

I guess you could chalk it up to a society that really only considered men to be people and therefore considered men to be the focus of the law, whereas regulating the behavior of women was also the responsibility of men. Still, it's interesting that we are specifically told to prevent women from teaching, but not from engaging in a little girl-on-girl.

The best way to combat disgusting ideas is to allow people to express them unhindered. Freedom of speech does not always imply polite tolerance for differences of opinion. It just as importantly offers everyone enough rope to publicly hang himself.

The presence of Phelps' clown circus has the potential to be, if you'll pardon the cliché, a "teachable moment" for many in that Mississippi backwater. Nobody will be happy to have a bunch of noisy jerks disrupting what should be the most significant milestone to date in these kids' lives. A number of them will not think twice about blaming McMillen herself for ruining their graduation, and trust me when I tell you that those will be the loudmouths who will seem to define the collective sentiment, but not everyone in such communities is an idiot.

They may not speak up and pick a fight in their own communities (resignation to the futility of standing up to self-righteous ignorance is a rarely-acknowledged Southern tradition) and it may take some time to process the experience, but many of those kids will progress into college, and a larger world outside that little town, with a dawning understanding that their community's overreaction to McMillen caused more pain than could possibly have come from simply letting a couple of girls show up together at Prom. Even if they aren't ready to jump in with both feet in support of gay marriage, they may still recognize that people they had long viewed as pillars of the community had behaved in surprisingly cruel and shameful ways. They will find themselves disappointed in people they had previously respected, and perhaps in themselves. It's not a media-friendly, high-profile victory, but it's a start.

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Of course not. God likes to watch that **** just as much as your average bloke does. :D

25. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I always think that "do not lie with mankind as with womankind; it is abomination" is an interpretation issue. To me it is clearly subjective technical advice from god. God tried missionary with another guy but just ended up sword fighting which he thought was terrible. God prefers spooning with guys.