Western Digital 1tb My Passport vs MBP HDD connector

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sheva, May 4, 2011.

1. sheva macrumors newbie

Well I may just be a fool but I thought that all WD hdds had the same connector pins. I've just taken apart my mbp only to find the (SATA?) connector inside is a different type than the WD's.
    I'm just curious is there something I was missing that should have warned me that this would happen? Is there a way I can modify the WD so that I can make it my internal HDD?

That's all I really want.

My MBP:
    15 inch Unibody (late 2008)

My WD:
    WD10TMVV
    I think this is it but mine is black.
    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=450

Thank you in advance!

On a side note this is an extremely solid external drive and I recommend it to anyone who needs a reliable terrabyte.

2. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

The 1TB and 750GB drives of that particular model are not industry "standard" SATA drives. That Micro-B connector is attached directly to the mainboard of the hard drive. Instead of having a SATA interface connected to a USB board, it just skipped the SATA interface. This saves cost for WD and means you cannot take this drive out of the enclosure and use it in your MBP.

3. sheva thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the straight forward answer google sent me in loops for hours :).
    I suppose what I'm looking for are these 1tb wd scorpio or samsung spinpoint drives, anyone have any recommendations?

4. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

How much did you pay for it?

I ask as you can get an aluminum enclosure for about $12 from Rosewill that is far better than the one used on the Passport, and a Western Digital Scorpio Blue or Black, which are farrrrrr better drives in terms of reliability and speed. For $120, you can build a drive with a 750GB Scorpio Black, which IMO is the best HDD on the market that is reasonably priced, and many people here will testify to their quality and speed. Add 15-20 bucks and the enclosure can have FW as well as USB2. As much as I love WD, I HATE the Passports and have not been happy with their overall reliability.

5. Camus Prime macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have a problem with my HDD, same model... Put it in a powered USB hub that had an incorrect power source (12V instead of 5V, pls don't ask me why, upset as hell :) ), and it stopped working... Clicked 3 times, now it gets too warm... I think it might be the USB port, but when I disassembled it, faced what you listed here, no way to connect to a standard case... Is there a way to connect the drive through those other pins (another standard perhaps?), than the micro USB port?

Thank you, really looking for some ideas on how to recover my data here...

Rgds!