Western Digital My Book World Edition plugged into AirPort Extreme-Wont work...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pilotkid, Oct 28, 2009.

1. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

I cant get anything to work on my Western Digital My Book World Edition ii. I have it plugged in via ethernet to the back of my Airport Extreme. I'm trying to put all of my iTunes library on it so that my media can be played on my PS3 and other computers on my network. Any ideas?
    Thanks for your help!

2. pilotkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Have you tried connecting it to your Mac directly to rule out a possible HDD issue?

4. pilotkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't think I can connect it directly. On the back there is the Ethernet port and a USB port. However according to the manual the USB port can only be used for connecting additional external hard drives, not for connecting it to a computer.

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

He meant plugging the HD directly to your Mac to make sure it actually works.

6. thoures macrumors newbie

WD My Book World Edition 1T-PS#

I just got the version mentioned in the title. I was not able to get music or pics through PS3 at first (wireless). I had a static IP address on my PS3 because it would not work with a dynamic one when I 1st got the PS3. Last night I went through the automatic network setup on the PS3, when it was done with the setup (dynamic IP address) the media server from the WD disk automatically showed up. Played music and pic slide shows. It worked fine.

What I can’t get it to work is for iTunes on my Mac book Pro to stream from it. iTunes automatically creates a play list, but it does not populate it. I can see the disk content in Finder but I can't iTunes to play with out importing.

Hope this helps.