Western Digital MyBook vs Lacie by Neil Poulton?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by NStocks, Aug 19, 2008.

1. NStocks macrumors 65816

I have finally made the desicion of which External Hard Drive to get. I know the Western digital is great I've read many reviews, but I also like the Lacie by Neil Poulton, but I can't find any reviews on it. Does anyone have experience with LaCie, the 1 below in paticular, or should I just go for the Western Digital.

Western Dgitial 500GB = £60 free deliverey
    LaCei by neil Poluton 750GB = £75 + £8 P+P.

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4YF9&CategorySelectedId=11157&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11157,47120000,4294955542,50131,4294963789#specifications

Or

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/136212

NStocks

2. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Id opt for the um...............

<tough choice>

ummmmm.........

<really tough choice>

...... MyBook! Only because its cheaper! The Lacie is gorgeous, but the WD doesnt lag too far behind! Both WD and Lacie are respectable companies with good support so that shouldnt be a problem! But dont mind in spending the extra premium thats almost always with the Lacies!

3. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

I know, I havn't really heard much about Lacie Hard Drives, but I'm still wondering if its worth and extra £20 ish, for 250gb more....

I will never fill that though, and although it will be nice to see what my Mac looked like a year from when I get it, I still doubt that it will fill. ( currently use 90GB )

If you have the MyBook, could you tell me how the powet supply works, is it a power brick then an extra wire to the power outlet, or just a huge plug?

NStocks

4. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

I'd plump down the extra cash for a LaCie. I've owned 4 MyBooks, a mix of old and new firewire models. All but one have died, i suspect through overheating. They don't seem to operate well when left on 24/7.

In experience, though not with the particular model you've highlighted, i've found LaCie enclosures to be much more reliable.

Cheers
    M.

5. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

Mybooks come with a small brick, not oversized plug.

Cheers
    M.

6. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

Just looking at the specs on Lacie's website, it says its eSATA and firewire 400, with both cables included. Would my iMac ( 3.06Ghz), make use of this, isn't fiewwire 400 just the same as USB2.0, and I dont belive the iMac has eSATA?

NStocks

7. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

FW400 and USB2 are two different plugs.

Firewire is the only kind of connection (barring esata on macs) I suggest for external drives.

LaCie is a top notch brand.

8. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

With a Mybook drive you are guaranteed to get a WD drive inside (those are very reliable), but with a LaCie drive…

…I don't know? :p

9. Pak^Man macrumors regular

Down with MyBooks...

I would recommend you stay away from the MyBook(though its just based on my experience).

I agree with the early post about overheating problems with those if used for a longer period.... also the USB2.0 ones seem to have issues "staying awake" when transferring larger data files (it's supposed to be a power-saving option, I think). My last one became a grave-yard for my ripped DVD's as it became impossible to retrieve anything over 2-3 GBs from it. And it happened after the 1-year warranty was up.

I know people love those because of the price. And I am a big fan for the WD Passport (owned 3 over the years).... but for WD My-Book; never again!
    :mad:

10. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Ahem.... the site link you posted offers the USB only Lacie!

11. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

I looked on the LaCie website and that says it has got eSata and fiewwire.: http://www.lacie.com/uk/products/product.htm?pid=11063

I don't know why dabs.com does'nt say it... Also the Pictures on the LaCie website also show it has eSATA and Firewire.

NStocks

12. Jesse Smith macrumors member

I just got a Lacie 1 TB hard drive for my 1 TB iMac, and no, the iMac does NOT come with eSATA support. I'm trying to figure out how to get eSATA working on an iMac myself, since the harddrive DOES support eSATA but the iMac had no place to plug the cable in to!

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TR727ZM/A?cid=AOS-US-SHOP-NexTag

advertises up to 3 Gbps, which is where I ordered mine from.