Western Digital Releases 750GB Scorpio Black

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hellhammer, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

2. troop231 macrumors 603

Seagate has a 750GB 7.2K rpm model for $99 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6324326&CatId=2682 :cool:

3. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I've only used up about 2/3 of my 120GB SSD but I may have to buy it given how kickass their 500GB is, and I've considered getting a large storage solution to house a variety of things spread throughout family's computers. I'm debating whether to remove that thingy that we used to put those shiny round things in and place the HDD their, or make it an external. Maybe even use 2 of these in a RAID setup?

4. skip2 macrumors member

Does anyone have any experience on this drive yet? I'm thinking of replacing my 5400 rpm 500 GB Hitachi drive in my 2010 13" MBP with this one as I'm fed up with the Hitachi's sluggishness. I'd be really interested in hearing about how much it vibrates (can you feel it under your right palm?), what kind of a sound it makes (can you hear it normally or in a completely silent room, if so what is the sound like?) and also about the performance.

5. laser71 macrumors regular

http://techreport.com/articles.x/20255/9

Supposed to be the best 750GB 2.5" drive on the marker at the moment, in terms of overall performance. It is 2db louder than the Travelstar (often seen as the quietest brand), and performs better than the 750GB Seagate. Although uses a bit more power than the Seagate too. 5 year warranty.

Although I will be keen to hear an actual MBP hands-on impression.

6. skip2 macrumors member

Yeah, I read that TechReport review too, but the reviewer seems to think very differently than I do. I am really interested in hearing about vibration and noise and also normal performance in a Mac. Those synthetic benchmarks don't necessarily tell everything I'd like to know. I did read some reviews on Amazon but some people are happy with just about anything and rave about it on Amazon etc. so I don't really know if those reviews tell me all that much either. I guess I'd like to have a proper discussion with someone who owns one of these and can compare it to some other drives and comment on the day to day usage.

I'll gladly read more reviews though, as reading a lot of them might give me a better big picture about the drive. :)

7. ender land macrumors 6502a

Hm, I'll have to keep watch on this thread.

Sometime in the future I might want to upgrade a hard drive as it's much nicer to upgrade to a 750gb vs 250gb internal rather than constantly using an external drive.

8. laser71 macrumors regular

haha so true, I have given up on most of those reviews, as everyone just seems happy that they work in most cases. I would love to hear from an actual MBP owner who can how much of a noise difference there is vs a stock drive.

9. ExiledMafia macrumors regular

Price Point

First the price is very reasonable butalso I read somewhere that these sometimes have a tendency to vibration a little too often:(. Hopefully they fixed that I may be looking into these.

10. Andeavor macrumors 6502

I've got the 500GB one and I couldn't be happier. :)

11. Shaui macrumors newbie

Hi guys! I am planning to upgrade my 15'' Macbook Pro 250 gb with processor speed of 2.4 ghz this coming weekend. Can somebody recommend which is best for my MBP, WD 750GB 5400 rpm or WD 750GB 7200 rpm?

I went to a Mac store yesterday and the staff told me that they can put a 640GB 5400 rpm instead. But I am thinking of having a bigger capacity of 750GB since 1TB is too thick to fit. They said they don't recommend 7200 rpm but it's possible.

I would just like to know if anyone upgraded to WD 750GB 7200 rpm? How's the performance so far? Let me know if it's thumbs up or down before I go and have it replaced.

Thanks! :)

12. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

They don't recommend a 7200 RPM drive because they don't carry a 750 gig 7200 RPM drive, and thus can't make any money off of you. I have no personal experience with the Western Digital 750 gig 7200 RPM drive, but I know that Scorpio Blacks in general have a good reputation.

13. SithTracy macrumors newbie

SithTracy

I installed the WD 750GB 7200 rpm drive a week or so ago in my 15" 2011 MBP. Works fine, stays cool, but the battery obviously drains faster. I don't notice any significant speed boost in boot-up or apps. I know it is there, but it is not significant.

14. applevik macrumors member

I've installed the 750GB Scorpio Black into my MBP 17 (it replaced a Travelstar 500GB 7200rpm drive) and have had no issues. In fact, seemed snappier, but that might simply be attributed to the fact I was almost out of space with the 500GB drive. I haven't noticed any difference in battery life.

15. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

I installed the 750 GB 7200 RPM Scorpio Black a few weeks ago and I am pleasantly happy. Battery life decreased slightly, or I suspect it did. It feels "snappier" but not enough to write home about.

It is louder than the stock Hitachi HD. The drive produces a constant noise and their is the infamous clicking sound every now and then. So if you expect a very quiet HD, then pass on this one. Also, the drive use to vibrate, but it does not do it anymore. Or, I am use to the vibration, as I type thousands of words three days per week or more.

So far, so good. If I experience any problems, I will post the issues for other forums members to either help me trouble shoot or we can gripe together about the concerns. Hope this helps. :)

16. ranviper macrumors 6502a

ranviper

17. mac8867 macrumors 6502

OK, so it used to be that only the BJKT model had the sudden motion sensor in it. I refuse to put any drive in my optibay without SMS. So looking here:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=130

I see the 6 scorpio black models listed, and a new BKPT model suffix. I pulled the data sheet down from there, and no mention whatsoever of SMS detection/protection. Anybody have other insight?

18. FOX160 macrumors regular

OK so is the WD hard drive better than what Apple put in the MBPro themselves.?

Also i imagine that there would be an increase in vibration due to the revs being 180 revs faster to how much dont know.

But very intrested indeed.

19. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

20. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

I just put in the 500GB Seagate with the 4GB or adaptive flash memory and really like it. It replaced a 320 Scorpio Black which was pretty RAD too. Next upgrade has gotta have some flash.

21. escozul macrumors newbie

No vibration whatsoever. Drive works perfectly. I ghosted my previous system and it worked like a charm! Now I have tons of free space. Only downfall is the reduced battery life. It compensates for the increased performance. I love it! Battery life might also be decreased due to my 402 cycles and 72% life on it. Yeah... it might need servicing! But I work it on lion and found no incompatibilities whatsoever. At last my mac works as it should!

The following video says it all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uaks2gT2NEk