western digital scorpio black 750gb 7200rpm problems with 2011 mbp and fixes?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by enthawizeguy, Mar 10, 2011.

1. enthawizeguy macrumors 6502

i ordered a western digital scorpio black 750gb 7200rpm drive. are there problems with 2011 mbp, (maybe spinning, clicking noises) i remember reading there was and that there were fixes you needed to make while installing in the laptop. Am i incorrect? Please let me know i'd like to have a smooth install tomorrow so i don't have to keep reopening my laptop.

2. iPadThai macrumors 6502a

Absolutely no problems with my setup. It's installed inside my 2011 17" and in fact, it's actually even dead silent compared to my momentus XT plus it's a helluvalot faster than the XT (except for boot times) - but with my WD, it gets to desktop in about 30-35seconds tops.

It's really alot faster than the momentus XT plus the heat is very cool. Much cooler than the momentus XT - overall, it's such a worthy drive than my XT!

You'll enjoy it very much. Congrats.

3. mario.jr macrumors member

mario.jr

Hi!
    Can you post the number os cycle counts if you are not using hdapm?
    Thanks a lot!

4. davecheng macrumors newbie

I've gone through several WD HDs in my Early 2011 13" MBP.

I found the Scorpio Black 750GB to be a little too loud, so I replaced it with a Scorpio Blue 750GB. (Both drives had manufacture dates within the last two months.)

The drives were running in an Optibay as a media storage drive, complementing an SSD primary drive. Both drives had aggressive head parking behaviour, parking and spinning down in less than 10 seconds. It wasn't so much the noise that bugged me, rather, it was the slight lag when accessing the sleeping drive.

The lag wasn't crazy, but compared to a Vertex 3 system drive, it was unbearable.

I am currently run hdapm to keep the drive active until the pmset sleep timer kicks in and issues a sleep command.

Before the 750GB, I had a Scorpio Blue 1TB that seemed problem-free. The drive would not park prematurely and I did not need hdapm to keep it awake.

5. acjei macrumors newbie

is there a 1TB hd with 7200rpm that would fit a 15" MBP anywhere??? My 500gb hd is full! 750gb would not last me til the end of this year

6. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Yup the WD 750GB Black, and many other WD drives have way high cycle counts. My cycle count is WAYY HIGH averaging like 70/hr lol. But whatever, I got used to the clicking. But yeah I think all WD black owners have this problem. Just use a smart utility and check the cycle counts.

HDparm or whatever didn't work for me, keeps failing. Anyway yeah. I may try to do the wdidle application but I'll have to remove the drive and stick it in a windows machine to run cmd prompt or whatever.