Wexler calls to begin impeachment hearings against Cheney.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SMM, Dec 15, 2007.

1. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

He is conducting a public opinion poll gaging citizen support. Those of you who have expressed a desire to whack Cheney may want to 'stand-up and be counted'. It is a very easy process. Here is the link to his site.

2. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Signed it. Seems to be growing pretty fast. About 20 more people had signed in the 5 seconds between me reloading the page.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Thanks SMM. Good to see someone has finally grown a pair.

4. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

You are right, Lee. We need someone to get the ball going. Honestly, I think this (and other Administration crimes) will start to snowball. It is just waiting for that one last 'push' to get it going. Who knows, it could be an avalanche.

I am not interested in a partisan vigilance committee. Keep it focused on the facts and the laws that were broken. We do not need witch-hunts like what happened against President Clinton. Besides, we do not need that. As for finding evidence of the laws being broken, the military would say, "It is a target rich environment". I just wish I could get the uneasiness out of my mind, that there is not something afoot to keep Bush in power. I guess I will breathe a sigh of relief next January.

I reached a milestone today. I set a goal to establish a group of 100 friends, co-workers and family members. When I find items like this one, I send an email alert to the entire group. They are all like-minded and have committed to read the information, and then act on it if they agree. Well, today I signed-up number 75! So, I am three-quarters of the way there. I really expected that about half would actually do it. But, I made it easy for everyone, and I am pretty sure all of them are doing it. In fact, my nephew is at Oregon State University and has started his own group. This is how you can grow a movement, which was very difficult before the internet. Others might want to consider this, unless you are a neo-con.

BTW - I did send in an email on Lincoln Square. It was actually difficult for me to write (at least at first). I have never been there, know very little about it, or any underlying issues (local politics being a significant knowledge void). So, I mainly spoke about urban renewal, the need to preserve the past when possible, the importance of small neighborhoods, etc. I had a question. What is the large green-space directly east of the neighborhood? At first I thought it was a golf course. Upon closer examination, it looks like a pedestrian park. Is that correct?

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes- it's a park and there's also a school. It's really beautiful, and it's half a block from me. BTW- did you read about what happened in the Save Lincoln Square thread? You guys helped a lot. Looks like other than the Walgreens, the other businesses get to stay.

6. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

That is great news, Lee! Very nice job in 'raising the alarm and rallying the troops'! What part of Chicago is that considered, the NORTH side? In fact, I would be very interested to know where the lines are that de-mark:

1) North-side
    2) near North-side
    3) West-side
    4) South-side
    (any others)

I am a huge Chicago blues fan. Michael Bloomfield is my favorite musician of all time, and the Paul Butterfield Blues Band (with Michael Bloomfield) is my all-time favorite band. Next summer I am making a 'blues pilgrimage' to Chicago. So, I am beginning to do the geographical research.

-S

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I signed it. Is there a petition to impeach the entire administration? :D

8. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

Only the President and Vice-President can be impeached, but I understand your sentiment. I believe there will be charges brought against a large number of appointees and WH staff. However, no sane person would take any chance of Cheney inheriting the throne.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

So what is the process for removing someone appointed to the president. Surely they can't be immune to losing their job.....can they? I would hope there's a way to remove them from their position if they screw up enough

10. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

I do not know every possibility, but they can be charged by the justice department for federal crimes, by city, county, state for others. They can be prosecuted like any other citizen.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Then can be asked (or pressured) to step down, as with Gonzales, Rumsfeld, Bolten, Wolfowitz in his position (boy there are a lot of them aren't there, and more I didn't even list).

I signed. The GOP brought up charges against Clinton when he was far more popular than this administration is now. Especially Cheney, who has an approval rating below even Congresses. And considering they have such a low rating because they don't do things like this, that people are frustrated they aren't fighting back like we elected them too. So much talk, and then they just continue to cave, as if they were still the minority. I get that they can't do much with the GOP still blocking them, but they could at least try, force them to filibuster like they keep threatening, show they're putting up a fight and let Bush veto everything. But they don't, and until they do more things like this, realize that we want them to investigate these things, even while the talking heads criticize them for it. Something they supported against Clinton before they even knew he had done much wrong. I remember being mad about some of those things, but in retrospect it seems so quaint now. Bush has done so much, gotten away with so much, those "scandals" didn't even seem worth it.

I'm sure our resident neocons will disagree, while still defending Bush for the same things, often far worse.

It's good to hear I was wrong in my cynicism. Guess it goes to prove what a little effort can wind up doing. If only our Congress realized that.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This is Chicago solvs. We fight back. That's one of the reasons I love it here. When people have had enough, they get loud. I've never lived in a place where people actually do what just happened. Perhaps we all need to be less cynical and be a lot louder.

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Just added one more name. Its pretty clear these guys were spinning intelligence to get us into Iraq while the republican party who ran all 3 branches of our govt looked the other way. Still amazed these draft dodgers were torturing people in the name of our Govt. True Hypocrites. No idea what the Constitution is for.

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

They already reached far over what they originally asked for in signatures in less than 24 hours. They're going for 500,000. I think they'll get it.

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

If that were true, why was there talk of impeaching Abu Gonzales prior to his resignation?

16. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Why does Wexler need a poll to convince congressmen and women who already hate Cheney that he should be impeached?

17. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

You called me on this and you are correct. I was wrong. I apologize for posting false information:

18. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Good question but most likely to gauge how Pissed OFF Americans are at Dick for fabricating a needless war.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

He's a Democrat. He only knows to go where the polls take him.

Only slightly facetious.

20. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

It is not that simple, unfortunately. Do you understand the impeachment process? I am far from expert, but if I understand correctly, impeachment is like an indictment. It is where the House brings forth the charges, and makes the case to impeach. But, the outcome is not always removal from office. That requires a Senate trial and (I think) a 2/3 majority vote.

Whatever it is exactly, it would require a heck of a lot more votes than there are Democrats. That means a great number of republicans would have to 'cross the isle'. I am sure this would be very difficult politically for many of them. Think about it. FOX will be hammering them on a daily basis. Their electorate back home will be threatening them. The large financial contributors and lobbyists will threaten their fundraising.

Yes, a republican might have to pay a heavy price for impeaching Cheney and/or Bush. It could end their career. UNLESS, there was rock-solid case, with heinous crimes, and strong public support, across a broad-range of the voting public. In that light, the need for measurable barometers of public support makes sense, right?

21. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

would it be too cyinical to point out that almost all of the links on that page seem to take you to opportunities to send money to the re-elect Wexler campaign?

22. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

We have a winner! :cool:

23. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

So, we are getting the backlash from the side opposite.

If you have not signed-up to support for the impeachment of Cheney, please do. Thanks.

24. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

From what I understand, an impeachment is, like you stated, an indictment. It is not a popularity contest or a public opinion poll. If our representatives believe there is sufficient cause to impeach the vice president, they should do it. They should not be guaging their decision to impeach him based on what the public thinks or whether or not they think the senate republicans will cross the aisle to convict him. The fact that Wexler is taking a poll indicates to me that he doesn't care about law and is simply being a politician.

25. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Well yeah, of course he is. But as we've seen, Dems don't exactly realize most of the country is behind them. Not that an internet poll will suddenly change that, but as a petition, it does it's job. He figured he'd just get a few signatures (they were only going for a few thousand over a couple of days), and bring it up in some big speech. But the response has been overwhelming, which just helps his point more.

There's already plenty of evidence, a quick look over these threads for the past few years at even just the cover ups shows that, but yes, they do play politics in politics. Dem and GOP. Kinda why they call it that. ;) If they didn't, they would have brought charges long ago, for things like Plame alone.