WH and RNC Go After Comey and Book Tour

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Apr 12, 2018.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

2. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

It's extremely inappropriate. That's a hard concept to hold onto in the age of Trump, I guess.

3. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

I remember when the GOP was the party of law and order. Now they are reduced to smearing the former head of the FBI to protect a slimeball president. Sad!

4. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Again - what are they so afraid of? Well we probably know - but the more they protest, the guiltier Trump looks.

5. raqball macrumors 68000

Agree the WH should not care about his silly book. Me? I'll wait for the forthcoming IG report and / or a 2nd Special Counsel to investigate the FISA abuse and the FBI Clinton investigation scandal(s)....

I only mention FISA and Clinton because I believe his book will cover those topics.

6. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

They're beyond caring about Trump. Trump is what made Ryan go away and that sort of deflated their momentum for the midterms, if they had any. Now they just want their voters to turn out in November. They're concerned about the level of apathy, it's sort of at "Trump, yeah, Congress meh" because the stuff about the tax break/hike/heist is at least worrisome and everyone knows it's not half paid for from social spending cuts and now there's a defense $$ hike and ... this burgeoning deficit.... and wha' hoppen...?!

Ugh. It's enough to make anyone stay home really, how this legislative session has screeched and whined and bucked all rhyme or reason. But the Dems are hopped up over at least the possibility of winning back the Speaker's gavel in the House. If the RNC can fire up their foot draggers over something, anything, they figure they'll stem the blue tide. They could be correct or they could be sealing the doom of this version of "Republican Party".

Sometimes people get tired of all the BS and wander into the polling station meaning to turn the bum out... and if they can remember his name then they'll vote for anything or anyone else.

That's what the RNC is afraid might happen this fall.

Not too funny if Comey's book on balance suggests both parties are corrupt and morally bankrupt. That takes us back to where we were as the primary season got underway in 2016. But it would also leave the RNC looking stupid for bashing the thing as left-partisan and pro-Clinton.

7. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Indeed. I am sure they got an advance copy. But if not - the irony would be the RNC and WH calling him a liar if the book takes hard hits at the Dems, right?

But we know how that plays out. The parts Trump likes will be fair, and praiseworthy. The rest will be fake news.

8. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

Comey is no longer hero to them? #SAD!

Smear campaigning is a right thing to do. that's correct. just ask teachers. I mean, why do teachers deserve a decent pay?

Koch, Walton and Devos care so much about education in the country, it brings tears.

9. raqball macrumors 68000

To be fair both parties flip-flopped on the dude. He was a GOP or Dem hero at times and a villain at other times. Neither can claim otherwise.

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

So, to be clear, Trump and his GOP buddies won't write books when they are no longer part of the government?

11. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

The Left’s love-hate position with Comey is like watching the crowd’s head turn at Wimbledon. Shameless opportunists.

12. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Funny, I thought the right's / republican ( one of their which is even more startling ) love - hate with Comey was a literal neck snapping head turn. Repubs were almost ready to name unborn children after Comey when he pulled the Clinton email thing late in the campaign, only have it be a 'nothing burger' ( kind of fun using that there :) ) after all.

What's more frightening though is the right's selective love - hate with the FBI and DoJ.

13. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

All I know is that I believe both Mueller and Comey did the right thing when Bush43's counsel Alberto Gonzales and his chief of staff Andrew Card were trying to bamboozle the illness-sidelined AG John Ashcroft (then in an intensive care hospital bed) into approving extension of a version of Bush's domestic surveillance program that the DoJ had just decided was illegal unless some changes were made to it.

Meanwhile Comey had been appointed acting AG while Ashcroft was ill, but Gonzales and Card thought to go around him, although they later said they were just at the hospital to wish Ashcroft well. Comey rushed to beat the other two to the hospital to protect the interests of DoJ and Mueller spoke to Ashcroft's security detail to tell them not to let anyone try to throw Comey out of Ashcroft's room. Card and Gonzales did try to persuade Ashcroft to sign the document but Ashcroft himself pulled himself togther enough to rebuff them and pointed at Comey and said "there's your AG". Comey had refused to sign the document the night before that.

The incident in summary seemed more or less like something out of The Godfather; the aftermath went on for awhile and included the threat of mass resignations from DoJ unless the document in question was revised, which it eventually was (but meanwhile the legality-challenged surveillance had continued).

I figure Comey's a straight arrow and his flaws run to being obstinate about heading off at the pass stuff that shouldn't happen in the USA, stuff that would tarnish the reputation of the DoJ in the eyes of neutral observers. And that he doesn't really care who's offended or feels what happened was partisan, or in the case of the announcements about Clinton during her campaign, doesn't really care what might be the political consequences for anyone either, including himself. Which of course makes him a marked man from both parties' points of view. He knows his jobs have not been popularity contests.

I appreciate that Comey has tried to get witnesses rounded up in advance of meeting with people he thinks might try to compromise him. Aside from his reluctance to meet alone with Trump, that was paralleled in the Ashcroft case where he roped in then Solicitor Genera Ted Olson to avoid meeting alone with Card and Gonzales on the night after that incident in the hospital room with Ashcroft.

tbh I still expect to see that whole thing in a movie about Bush43-era politics someday,,,, except Trump's government keeps offering even more exciting opportunities to see our tax(free) dollars at work. Typical of The Don to jump a queue, eh?

14. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

SMH :confused:

15. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Another case of false equivalence. Dems bashed Comey for making a bad decision releasing information on irrelevant emails right before the election. For the most part, they never questioned his professionalism as an investigator.

But the Republicans went from pushing for his nomination to hating him to praising him to creating a deep state conspiracy while trying to discredit his whole career.

These things are not the same.

16. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

To be fair the techies sure god pushed back on Comey's competence to opine regarding encryption issues and backdoors he wanted built into smartphones. There's not much room to argue for his view there, but the manner in which objections were raised pretty much gave new and sewer-level depth to what "discredit" means.

17. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Well the AP has purchased a copy of the book and Bloomberg ran what they wrote about it a little while ago

The headline isn't all that surprising.... I leave you to discover the rest, I haven't read it yet...

18. SusanK macrumors 68000

I like Comey. No flip flop here.

19. Night Spring, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018

Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

According to Comey's congressional testimony regarding that incident, he was in a car on his way home when he got a call from Ashcroft's wife saying White House is sending people over. I forget whether he turned on the sirens or not, but he told his driver to rush to the hospital, then ran up the stairs to get to Ashcroft's room. It's a scene ready-made for a movie, all the way to Ashcroft pointing at Comey and saying "There's your AG." I don't think Comey embellished the situation, but he does have a way of telling an engrossing story in an understated style. I'm very much looking forward to reading his book.

Found testimony transcript: http://gulcfac.typepad.com/georgetown_university_law/files/comey.transcript.pdf

20. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Makes sense. Trump calls Comey a liar - which we know is projection.

21. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Hee Hee :p

Comey talks about hands, and an obsession with a certain golden tape.
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/comey-trump-asked-me-to-investigate-pee-tape-allegations

22. GermanSuplex, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018

GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Trump is toast. I’m convinced he could be innocent and his ego will simply be his downfall. He’s not like Ali or Mayweather.. the ego on this guy is out of this world bizarre. I mean, I don’t actually think he’s innocent of everything, but I certainly believe even if he was, he’d act the same way.

Do people think he’s smart? Ask him a question... look at the people around him staring into space. Mike Pence is a real piece of trash, but he’s an intelligent guy. He just stands or sits there with a blank stare, I suppose he’s thinking “a few more of these interviews until I’m president”.

When Trump talks, he thinks hyperbole=intelligence. It isn’t. Anyone can say anything with adjectives. “What is the square root of 63 million?”

“Well, 63 million is a very big number. Huge number. So the square root will be a very, very big, beautiful number. It’s funny you ask that, a lot of people have been saying that they are worried about math. Being that nobody knows more about math than me, they say “Mr. Trump, what should we do?” Well, we need to make sure teachers have guns.

No, I didn’t know about the payment to her. Thank you.”

23. Krayzkat macrumors 6502a

Krayzkat

I wonder what will happen after Trump is no longer president, either after a full 1/2 terms, impeachment, or fake retiring due to medical reasons like the last pope.

Will they decide to reduce the powers of any future president and have more control through the Senate?
    Maybe be like the UK where the Queen holds power but basically gets told what laws she has to pass by the government?
    Maybe get rid of electoral college vote and just go for whatever party has most senators has control of the country?

Will be interesting looking back in years to come.

24. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Trump cemented his legacy as “worst president” before he took office. It’s bizarre seeing his goofy speeches.

25. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

What happened to the slam dunk collusion?