Whale activists say their catamaran was sunk by Japanese vessel

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Tomorrow, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

From http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/01/06/japan.whale.feud/index.html

I can sympathize somewhat with both sides; I don't necessarily condone commercial whaling, but I don't condone the types of harassment groups like this are sometimes known for. My thought is if you're going to harass people doing their job, something like this is bound to happen eventually, right or wrong.

I watched the video, and it's hard for me to tell whether or not it was deliberate - your opinion may vary.

So what's everyone else's take?

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

One group is hunting whales another one is hunting whale hunters with no authority. After seeing the whale wars show I would have rammed their ship a long time ago.

3. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Your link not working; i.e., "Page not found"....

Here is working link: http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/01/06/japan.whale.feud/index.html

Environmental activists have a habit of intentionally harassing Japanese whaling vessels and fleets while they are fishing; what did these nuts expect would happen? It would help if these environmental activists would respect private fishing efforts on the high seas...

4. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

that sucks. I really liked that boat too. i saw it in ny when it was docked by the intrepid.

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Fixed that for you. And I know you don't care about facts, but there's a big difference between groups like the ELF/ALF, and the Sierra Club.

There's nothing good in this situation. The Japanese ships kill whales for commercial gain under the guise of science, and Sea Shepherd is essentially a band of pirates with a good goal.

6. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

This video shows a lot IMHO.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2010/01/08/jvm.bob.barker.cnn

It is clear that the Japanese ship made a turn towards the boat. It is also clear in the video released by the Japanese, there is water being moved behind the catamaran's stern. The Japanese may have turned into the boat as a game of chicken. But, the people on the boat clearly was aiming for a collision for publicity by having it move forward. If they were smart, they would have had the boat in reverse to make it seem they tried to avoid a collision, but it was too late when the Japanese ship turned towards them. From watching an episode of whale wars, I would not be surprised if this was the Sea Shepard's intention. As in that one episode I saw, they intentionally boarded a Japanese ship so they could be taken hostage.

Both parties are despicable. Whale hunting is disgusting and these people are nothing more then activist terrorism.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They went forward into the path of the ****ing huge japanese vessel, it wasn't even trying to get out of the way. Their whole purpose being out there is to harass japanese boats, that would be like an environmentalist purposely pulling in front of SUVs to stop them from polluting so much and then bitching because their tin can got crumpled.

8. Queso macrumors G4

Whales aren't fish. They're mammals :p

You know, land based creatures that evolved for life back in the sea ;)

9. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

10. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

11. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

What's at stake depending on who is at fault, roughly $2.5 Million. Wiki

12. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Didn't watch the video eh? Its abundantly clear that the Japanese ship swerves into the the catamaran.

13. citizenzen, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011

citizenzen macrumors 65816

Here's why I think it was deliberate...

• The water cannons firing from the Japanese ship indicate that it knew of the presence of the other boat.

• The Japanese vessel is moving very quickly as the video demonstrates. Even if they couldn't turn the ship quickly enough, why didn't they cut power and attempt to slow down?

• After the collision, the Japanese ship is able to turn. Why was there no attempt to do so before the collision? In some videos it is even evident that it turns toward the catamaran.​

I'd say this was most likely due to a pissed off captain who just lost it.

14. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

15. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

That is some elegant scientific research: wipe out the whales to find out if they have been killing or starving out the "fish we were actually after".