What’s still missing from iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by celticpride678, Oct 29, 2009.

1. celticpride678

With iTunes 9.0.2 released today, Apple added a “dark” view for column view and other features. For me, the only feature missing from iTunes is the option for enlarging the iTunes window instead of the mini-player.

I would also like Apple to separate the Music, Movies and other media folders.

What do you want Apple to add in iTunes? Is it perfect already?

2. LurkingIowan macrumors member

LurkingIowan

While I'm glad to see the option for dark backgrounds, methinks iTunes needs a total refresh. It's too clunky, bloated and slow. It's not very Mac-like anymore.

3. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

A quicker way to convert audio files to other formats.

Having to change the import settings via Preferences, go into Advanced, convert the file, and then go back into Preferences to put everything back is annoying. If there was just a drop down menu under Advanced, it would make life so much easier.

4. str1f3 macrumors 68000

Well I'd like to see:

-when playing a movie using the external player I'd like to see the borderless view similar to Quicktime X

-ability to stream music and video library to your iPhone

-ability to sync applications to iPhone by their category

-like everyone says it could be faster

-Netflix styled subscription service for movies and subscription service for TV channels

-integration with Pandora Radio

-would like to see some sort of HUD or something to show lyrics or album art when it is in mini player or the app is minimized so there is no need for additional apps like Bowtie

5. caitlin macrumors member

caitlin

You can still do this by option clicking the green button. Also, there is a terminal command that will allow you to change the functionality to a regular click.

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.iTunes zoom-to-window -bool YES

6. caitlin macrumors member

caitlin

Also, I would like to see organization by tags instead of genres. (Could use both, too.)

7. JAT macrumors 603

And, a way to do this along with a CD burn in one process.

8. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

I just want to say, thank you. I could not figure it out for so long and it was annoying me like crazy. Worked perfectly. Thanks!

There might be issues with iTunes Video and Hulu.

9. markojug macrumors regular

Hulu is only US. If you live in the UK, Canada (like me) or anywhere else, that will be a wasted feature

10. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

There's an album I want to buy, in iTunes UK, but not in the US. When I sign into iTunes UK, it will not let me purchase it. Why not? Why not an across-the-spectrum store? What kind of "copyright protections" or similar nonsense could be holding this back?

11. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

There's an AppleScript for that. :cool:

12. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

I meant "HULU" in a general sense of what it offers and the way it does a fine job of delivering it's content. If they can create a similar experience in iTunes for the U.S. and Worldwide the that would be wonderful.

13. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Hulu is already unwatchable due to choppiness. I'd hate to see how bad it would get with iTunes users adding to the mix.

The idea of streaming audio and video is great. I think it would work better if Apple had their own streaming servers instead of utilizing another companies system.

I'm still on iTunes 8.X no reason to upgrade. Honestly there has not been much of any reason to update. It seems like all the cool stuff added to iTunes goes relatively unused with me. Still have to set up all my own playlists. smart playlists use too many resources to be worth while. Tags get broken, etc, etc. It takes a lot of maintenance to keep my iTunes running good.

14. appledyl macrumors regular

appledyl

I would love to see a more mac-like improvement as well as a more streamlined and bug-free video player embedded in as well. More audio formats would help as well.... but itunes is currently the best one there for music playing!

15. timsutcliffe macrumors 6502

I'd really like to be able to play movies and TV shows in iTunes, and have the sound played through the speakers connected my my Airport Express.

I've provided iTunes feedback a number of times on it, but it seems such a simple thing to do, that i'm wondering if there's something major stopping them from doing it.

16. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

An easy to use store, similar to previous versions

I would also like the ability to customise the store more, I have no interest in downloading tv/films and would like to totally turn this off so I never see them

Some reasonable features in it now, but overall, for me, itunes takes a step backwards in usability with every release

17. Kate. macrumors regular

+1 I use a rudimentary tagging system in the Grouping tag but I'd prefer a real tagging implementation.

And better support for classical music, preferably in a separate section like Audiobooks.

18. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

how about proper folder monitoring like every other media player has had for years now? or a way to embed artwork and not only the 'itunes' way so your mp3s will display artwork on other media players as well?

19. callumacrae macrumors newbie

US only. :(

And please Apple, LINUX! Some of us can't afford Macs and don't like Windows!

iTunes 8.2 runs fine under Wine, but doesn't recognise iPods and stuff, which slightly defeats the point.

I think the audio conversion tools should be improved. That's the only reason I have iTunes installed on my Linux box.

Apart from that, I think iTunes is perfect. But Apple is bound to introduce a new feature and we will all think we can't live without it.

~Callum

20. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

21. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

What do you mean? Like in the /Music/iTunes/iTunes Music? Because if you go to File -> Library -> Organize Library it creates folders called Audiobooks, Music, Movies, Mobile Applications, Podcasts, TV Shows, Ringtones, etc within an iTunes Media folder.

I take it you know about the new “Automatically Add to iTunes” watch folder within /iTunes/iTunes Media?

22. mac2x macrumors 65816

AMEN. I rely on joining CD tracks when I rip classical CD's with multi movement works. Can't play just one movement, but it prevents them from getting screwed up if you accidentally sort the playlist.

23. Paul Turpin macrumors newbie

add your music/independent video

They'll never do it -
    But I'd like apple to add uploading your own material for itunes - direct instead of going through a third party like www.tunecore.com
    It would probably have to be on a linked webpage system - not actually in the application itself.

24. GSX macrumors member