What’s the reason for encoding DVD’s with handbrake when…

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AppleWorking, Mar 28, 2009.

1. AppleWorking macrumors regular

I have a sorta foolish question… What’s the real reason for encoding DVD’s with something like handbrake? I mean, is it only to save space or is the quality actually better than the DVD itself? I have more than enough hard drive space for the movies I want if I just rip them straight to the hard drive without encoding at all. So I was wondering if the end quality will be better if I use handbrake or if I just rip them as vobs without encoding at all?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

the quality is only as good ad the source

handbrake encodes to a file so you can play it on say your computer/ipod/etc

3. sngx1275 macrumors regular

sngx1275

dukebound85 is right that the quality is only as good as the source (often worse...) when using handbrake.

Since handbrake doesn't undo the encryption it has to be used after something like MacTheRipper. So if you don't care about space, just get the DVD to the HD with MTR and then ignore the handbrake step. If its an ISO file DVD Player app will play it as a dvd, and so will VLC. If its in file formats (vobs and such) VLC will also play it, and I think DVD Player will too.

So basically, no need for handbrake at all if you just want to watch on your computer and don't care about space. Use handbrake if you want to watch it on your iPod.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

That's wrong. Handbrake does encryption only if you have VLC installed.

5. sngx1275 macrumors regular

sngx1275

How is it "wrong", it doesn't break the encryption on its own, which is what I said.

6. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

The newest version (0.9.3) does. The old version (0.9.2) doesn't require VLC, but honestly you should have VLC installed no matter what.

7. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Small correction: only VLC can play vobs, DVD player can't.

8. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Indeed. Take an old VHS video, run it through handbrake 20 times and it will be HD quality maybe? :D

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

DVD Player can not play a single VOB file, but can read the folder (VIDEO_TS) with all the VOBs in it like it is a DVD.
    VLC does the same, it reads the contents of the folder (VIDEO_TS) like a DVD, but can also play a single VOB.

Single VOBs are only parts of the movie/show/episode that is contained on the DVD.

10. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

.mp4 files are much more convenient than raw DVD files.

11. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

No quality improving

As it has been said before, HB won't improve the quality. The only 2 reasons you may want to handbrake a DVD is for getting a smaller file size and/or to play it on gadgets other than your computer (iPod, appleTV, any mp4 player, sansa, etc.).