What’s wrong with my Time Machine backup?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dferigmu, Jan 3, 2010.

1. dferigmu macrumors 6502

I just bought an external hard drive and am using it to back-up my MacBook Pro with Time Machine.

Both my MBP hard drive and external hard drive are 500 GB, but I noticed that my MBP HD has 85 GB of files on it while my back-up HD only has about 70 GB.

Can anyone tell me why this is the case? I just want to make sure all of my files are backed up properly. Thanks!

2. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

well, u can split the hd in half, have 1 partition a time machine backup, and the other a complete copy of ur hd that u can boot into on any other mac. so go into disk utility, click on the external hard drive, not the partitions, under the partition tab, by volume scheme select 2 partitions. format it as mac os extended (journaled), then go down to option and click the top one, GUID. now click apply or partition or whatever it says. click ok, wait like 10 seconds, now immediately backup time machine onto your first partition! then when ur done, go back to disk utility, click any hd, or partition, go under the restore tab, drag macintosh hd, into SOURCE, and drag the second partition of ur external hard drive onto DESTINATION.
    DO NOT MESS THIS UP, IF YOU MIX UP SOURCE AND DESTINATION YOU WILL WIPE YOUR HARD DRIVE! BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!