Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eddimax

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2015
Anyone have idea what’s happening with my iPhone 6s (original) lightining cable? Last few weeks that rubber around the cable is getting weird, every day is worse and worse and now i can actually see whats inside the rubber. Cable still works great without any problem. I have to say I DIDNT stretch the cable or done any physical thing to break them, also that plastic part above the cable is also every day more and more breaked. It looks like i dont know what i am doing with that cable but i am only charging my iPhone 6s two times per day, and i am doing that under my bed so i really dont know where could i break them and how could i do that to the rubber around the cable. Its interesting that every day is getting more and more worse so only problem i can see in eletricity?

IMG_2517.JPG

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Personally, I'd stop using that cable NOW and get a replacement. In that state it could pose a fire risk and keeping it under your bed while you charge it could be a very bad move indeed!

Reactions: eddimax

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
As others have said, get a new cable. Apple's cables are among the most delicate.

Look for a certified cable (as in licensed and guaranteed to work with the iPhone). And find the heaviest built most durable and solid feeling cable you can.

Personally, I've had amazing luck with a $5 cable purchased at the local university. Got a year on it so far, and like brand new. By comparison, I went through about 5 of the genuine Apple cables in about 3 months at $20 each.

So shop around. This is one area where going with a good aftermarket brand will be better.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Anyone have idea what’s happening with my iPhone 6s (original) lightining cable? Last few weeks that rubber around the cable is getting weird, every day is worse and worse and now i can actually see whats inside the rubber. Cable still works great without any problem. I have to say I DIDNT stretch the cable or done any physical thing to break them, also that plastic part above the cable is also every day more and more breaked. It looks like i dont know what i am doing with that cable but i am only charging my iPhone 6s two times per day, and i am doing that under my bed so i really dont know where could i break them and how could i do that to the rubber around the cable. Its interesting that every day is getting more and more worse so only problem i can see in eletricity?

View attachment 705766

Aside from the other advice here, if you want a strong, durable and relatively afordable cable, look on Amazon for Anker MFI (Made for iPhone) cables for your iPhone. Great company and great product.

reig3

macrumors member
May 30, 2017
I also take heat shrink tubing(available in colors) and shrink it around the connector end to avoid hard bends which appears to me to be the biggest reason for failure.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Anyone have idea what’s happening with my iPhone 6s (original) lightining cable?
It's failing. It happens. The strain relief on the Apple cable is very poor so that's a very common point of failure (see existing threads). Get an Anker Powerline II. It's much beefier and has a lifetime warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.