What’s on your mind?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Gutwrench, Sep 8, 2018.

1. chown33 macrumors 604

For a minute there, I thought you were referring to the subject of your avatar.

2. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

Oh no! :( 7 years is young for a cat, I guess the memes will act as a memorial...

3. Matz, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019

Matz Contributor

Matz

I am very sad to say that Molly, whose picture is my avatar, passed yesterday. Fortunately, whatever it was that caused her death (brain tumor?) acted fairly swiftly, and she died in her sleep.

Interesting relationship we humans have with dogs. It amazes me how intertwined our lives become, and how utterly natural it is for that to happen. Coevolution is one explanation, but in some ways does not do the bond that forms justice.

Even though I haven’t seen her in a few years (my Ex got custody), it hit me pretty hard. Just writing this brings tears to my eyes. She was such a good dog.

4. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68040

Ulenspiegel

I am very sorry to hear this bad news.

5. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

Sorry to hear that. I’ve never owned a dog, but I can imagine the loss.

6. Mefisto macrumors 6502a

Mefisto

Such sad news, my sincere condolences. She had a great smile.

I still get misty from time to time thinking about our family dog(s) that had to be put down about (and over) twenty years ago (two different dogs at two different times). You never really forget about them, but that's just a testament to the profound joy they brought to our lives.

7. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

My condolences on your loss.

Dogs (and cats) can be wonderful companions and friends.

8. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

Sorry Matz, still miss my dog...

9. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Aw, this is sad news for you and the rest of your family......cherish the memories you have with Molly. She added something to your life which you otherwise would probably otherwise never have experienced..... RIP, Molly!

10. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Oh no. I am pretty sure that HAK will read my eulogy.
    --- Post Merged, May 17, 2019 ---
    I am sorry to read this :(

11. Zenithal macrumors G3

I wish police hadn't kindly asked a McDonald's to not sell milkshakes and ice creams before and during a rally today in the UK, specifically Edinburgh. I've never seen crap covered in dairy. On the other hand, Burger King were selling them.

That said... Burger King is still around?

12. cube macrumors P6

13. cube macrumors P6

Norway won the televote.

I think the juries were brought in to reign in political voting and now now they seem to be countereffective.

14. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I remember reading a story about how it was McDonalds who stopped using ice cream in their milkshakes (to speed up production, 1950s?) so I erroneously assumed they stopped using dairy.

The wife and and I recently had a discussion about where should we get a milkshake. I looked it up and saw they were made with milk at McDonald’s (along with other things) but at 900 calories for a medium, I decided to get a small, then we decided forget it, lol. The thing is have you ever looked at the remains of a Mcdonald’s shake left over in the glass the next day? It looks pretty industrial and not dairy like at all. :p

The best shakes I can remember were when I was little, before dedicated fast food restaurants, we’d stop at a drugstore, who had food counters, and I’d get a vanilla malt milkshake. It would come in a large beveled glass accompanied by a large metal cup, that it was mixed in, with left overs that would refill the glass by half. That experience was relived at Fuddruckers Restaurants (1980-90s) who served shakes the same way, accompanied by that tall metal cup, a sign that real ice cream was used. But we went to one locally here in Houston, and it appears they got away from using ice cream and no metal cup. :(

Speaking of McDonald’s versus Burger King, where we lived in Rosemount, Minnesota, there was a Burger King one block away from the McDonald’s and the former was always empty and the latter always full, while I always thought the Whopper (BK) was better than the Quarter Pounder (McD), while admitting the Big Mac is unique and tasty on occasion. I was around when Big Macs first came out and back then we ate them until we were basically sick of them. :) Burger Kings are still around though, we have one just down the street, along with McDonalds and the King of fast food burgers, Whataburger. :D

D2821706-1312-48F3-8C83-FF6341C4588F.jpeg

15. Gutwrench thread starter Contributor

Gutwrench

I literally (literally used correctly) don’t remember the last visit to McDonald’s or Burger King. I’m guessing it was in or prior to 2008.

16. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

I’m more of a big belly burger sort of guy!

But I rarely eat either to be honest. But would take a whopper with cheese over McDonald’s.

As for milkshakes at the drugstore? That sounds weird.

17. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

In recent times, I have noticed a proliferation of gourmet burger type places, places where you can get a beer, as well. Must pay one or two of them a visit.

Although I have rarely eaten there, I will concede that McDonalds strikes me as a lot better than Burger King.

Moreover, their hygiene seems pretty okay, too.

On my mind is a Hungarian Gulyas fish soup I intend to prepare this evening; with the exception of the fish, all of the ingredients have been laid out.

18. Huntn, May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Before fast food restaurants (1960s), food counters in drug stores and soda shopes were the relatively “fast food” of the day, at least in the US. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soda_shop

When I met my future wife in Kingsville, Texas, 1980ish, she invited me to Harrel’s Drug Store to have a burger and a shake. :)

FC27D521-4AFB-4F73-9787-C7158B389110.jpeg

3C590F5A-C753-4A64-8819-8ABEAF93F2ED.jpeg
    1948​

19. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

How times have changed. Mow you probably meet future wife on an app or in a chatroom! I met mine in Atlanta for the Olympics. Our first proper date (when we got back to the UK), was a house party (of sorts at her place).
    --- Post Merged, May 19, 2019 ---
    We have no friends in Europe anymore. Its a problem of our own making!

20. cube, May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019

cube macrumors P6

Televote:

UK: 3 points (from Ireland)
    Germany: 0 points

The song was old generic stuff, as usual. The Netherlands at least did not sound old.

21. Gutwrench thread starter Contributor

Gutwrench

Ahhh. The XXVI Games in Atlanta. Great memories and celebration!

22. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

I'm sure I have better memories ;)