What’s on your mind?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Gutwrench, Sep 8, 2018.

1. cube macrumors P6

2. cube macrumors P6

I don't even remember how the Dutch song goes.

I do remember the German song, but not the British one.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

Monday morning work is on my mind. I have a trip to London Thursday.

Probably didn’t help by logging on and doing an hour as I do most Sundays at the very least.

Remember when you used to clock out and work was finished?

4. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

Pretty blah weekend weather wise. I should NO LONGER have to wear a sweater at any time in May, even morning or evening. Still not a complete loss it was pretty good actually if I admit it. Found a pretty nice pub not far, nice atmosphere though not a huge beer list but a very nice wine list, saw Endgame for the second time (first film since Rogue One I've seen twice in theatre, albeit was thinking of seeing Infinity War twice as well) then saw a really neat visiting exhibit in the Geneva Art and History Museum.

http://institutions.ville-geneve.ch/fr/mah/expositions-evenements/expositions/cesar-et-le-rhone/

"Caesar and the Rhone" had an audio tour through an app, lots of artifacts recovered on the bottom of the Rhone river near Arles, in Roman times an important town and harbour for trade in Northern parts of the empire. In other words how did two Greek statues from the island of Poros end up in Martigny Switzerland, in the Alps near the head of the Rhone. Plus the history (which I personally was well aware of) of how Julius Caesar founded both Geneva and Arles. Nice was to spend a greyish spring Sunday. Had a coffee and carrot cake in the cafe of the museum afterwards. Oh entrance is free on Sundays for individuals.
    --- Post Merged, May 19, 2019 ---
    I try to avoid it, especially during the semester as I recall my first one I would be answering student emails and text messages even now on Sunday evenings. I can afford to set boundaries except for emergencies or if an assignment deadline, as sometimes happens, falls on Sunday evening.

5. cube, May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019

cube macrumors P6

6. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Grief and loss are strange things; they ebb and flow.

Today, however, I missed my mother. Badly.

7. cube macrumors P6

Police in Tel Aviv downed 80 drones just in case.

8. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Divorcing my wife and moving 2600 away.
    Planning the move has been very challenging.

9. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

That's how it goes - even when it seems to sink back it can always come back up.

Good luck and I hope it all goes well for your new start...

10. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

The best of luck; that is a lot to have to deal with at the one time, physically, emotionally, and probably professionally challenging as well.

11. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Thank you.
    It has been. But one day and thing at a time

12. cube macrumors P6

I think it would actually be because they are not a full EBU member, as they are outside the EBA.

13. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

"I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind."
    -Edgar Allan Poe

14. cube, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019

cube macrumors P6

15. Zenithal macrumors 604

Lasagna is on the mind...

Going round the twist, Yaxo?

16. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Macaroni and cheese is on my mind, I guess because it has dropped off cold this evening... I am trying to exert matter over mind by eating an apple instead, already having had a big salad with some nice toasted sourdough bread. Not sure the apple is erasing the mac'n'cheese obsession but damned if I'm going to cook pasta at this hour. Maybe an ounce of Havarti cheese will work. :D

@yaxomoxay On being too much in one's head, I always feel that way once the true spring weather emerges from the rainy season here: all I want to do is be out in the sun and fresh air and to end up tired in that really good-feeling way at day's end after tackling gardening chores. It's so much nicer than just being tired of being awake, which is how I can get towards end of each of a series of rainy days... when I try to amuse myself with another book or movie but really crave being outdoors and more active.

17. Zenithal macrumors 604

Haven't really ever made mac and cheese often, to be honest. Maybe a few dozen times in my life. The last few times I did I used non-GMO sodium citrate from Williams and Sonoma when they offered it. Tiny pinch and the cheese stays liquid without having to make a roux. I think I used a bit of white wine and a splash of beer for liquid. Science is wonderful. There's ways to make your own sodium citrate but it's a long effort for something that can be bought at professional cooking stores or online at gourmet ingredients websites.

I usually prefer an uneven blend of cheeses. I really like cellar cheddar for its earthy flavor which can be accentuated with roasted and chopped mushrooms. A little of strong blue increases the acidic bite to the dish. I like to use panko bread crumb if baking it, and I usually mix it with some organic garlic powder (the pure stuff, not the one with salt), and a little bit of melted butter and olive oil for the last 10 minutes so it doesn't burn but does set. I've experimented using flavors from other cultures or regions within a culture. Goan spices and cooking style work really well with a seafood based mac and cheese. For fish, you'll want to cook them separately in small pieces and then gently place them in layers for your baked dish.

If it's just me and I want mac and cheese, which is very rare of me, I'll make it and won't bake it. My ultimate easy comfort food when I've got the house for the day is aglio e olio. Sometimes with the addition of a meat on the side. I can eat pounds of the stuff.

18. cube macrumors P6

It would seem that the juries are more biased than the people.

19. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

Work trip to London. I’ll be on trains most of the day. Two and a half hours there. A bit longer in the way back as I’ll be making a change.

Then a couple of tube journeys.
    Then a vendor and customer meeting.

20. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Macaroni and cheese (as in baked?) or, a simple pasta dish with grated melted cheese and cream?

In any case, some form of pasta and cheese has long been a favourite of mine.

21. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

How one women can possibly think we all want to listen to her conversation in the train carriage?

22. cube macrumors P6

It seems it is worse when you only listen to half of the conversation.

23. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

I’ve got Bose QC 35’s noise cancelling headphones and it’s still audible. She’s about three seats behind me.

24. Gutwrench thread starter Contributor

Gutwrench

Hook the phone to the Bose and blast Break Stuff by Limp Bizkit.