What’s on your mind?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Gutwrench, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

I’m listening to Imagine Dragons. It’s mostly drowning her out.
    --- Post Merged, May 23, 2019 ---
    My next train is cancelled due to congestion. How do you get congestion on a train track!!!

2. LizKat, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019

LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Baked, and made from scratch, i.e., making a roue for the cheese sauce and making breadcrumbs for the top... all the more reason not to embark on a project like that at that hour of the evening. I settled for a half-ounce of Havarti sliced onto a couple of crackers. It was either going to be that cheese snack or else make some pasta and have it with a little olive oil and romano, which latter was more of a project and more food than I wanted for that time of evening.

On my mind this morning: honestly I don't think I've run my furnace this late into spring for quite a few years. All the rain and grey and early morning cold of the month of May this year I won't mind seeing the back of. This must be why I went for that yellow iPhone XR. Just looking at its back is the closest I'll get to seeing sunshine today if I believe the forecast, which unfortunately has seemed all too reliable lately.

3. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Because she is playing the starring role in her own life story.

4. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

Sitting by the lake on the “Bateau de Geneve” a former steam paddle-wheeler now a bar/restaurant/club quaffing an amber artisinal beer from “La Murailes” brewery thinking I earned my pay this week and then some. If only the powers that be recognized it.

Beautiful night by the way and not yet the huge lakeside crowds we get here June-September.

5. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Sounds lovely - do enjoy.

6. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

The end of the "off season" is often the sweetest for people who live somewhere year round... even if the community tends to rely on tourism to be able to put food on table and meet the land and school tax bills. Here we do welcome the summer residents back each year, as well as tourists, and yet there's more of a community feel to the area in their absence over winter. Not to mention less hassle finding a place to park on-street or in the tiny lots of shops in the villages.

7. Scepticalscribe, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 25, 2019

Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

The European elections (voting to elect members of the European Parliament) are taking place across EU states this week-end; the UK voted yesterday (Thursday), Ireland voted today (Friday), but most countries will vote either tomorrow (Saturday) or Sunday, and the votes cannot be counted before the polls close on Sunday night.

I have long been interested in politics - and, growing up, we were a household that was passionate about books, history, politics, culture, theatre, movies, music and yes - sport. (Though not everyone was equally passionate about any or all of these things).

We discussed and debated politics at the dinner table - my parents encouraged debate and discussion, and expected us to want to inform ourselves about current affairs, economics, geography, politics, history and so on.

Citizenship and the right to exercise the franchise - and the very fact of having the franchise - was taken very seriously by my parents, my mother, above all, being quite fierce in her enjoyment of exercising her right to have a say in who governed her, mindful that for most of history, most men and nearly all women had little to no say in choosing who governed them.

As some know on these threads, I studied and then taught politics, (and history), and, more recently, I have worked abroad a lot for international organisations (such as the EU) and have also worked for the past twenty years as an international election observer across three continents.

After my dad died, 14 years ago, whenever there was an election, (or referendum), my mum and I would stroll (or drive) to the polling station together, a kind of communal and family thing, which we both enjoyed immensely, and were both very mindful of the fact that a century earlier, neither of us would have had the right to vote. That continued until her dementia kicked in, almost a decade ago.

Now, she hadn't voted in almost a decade, and adjusting to that loss - the fact that we no longer chatted about, or argued over, politics, or went to the polling staton together, was - for me - a part of the "long slow goodbye" that is brought about by dementia, a goodbye to the intellectually engaged, enthusiastically informed, and fiercely intelligent woman that my mother was.

But this year, she is still on the voters' register, although she passed away just before Christmas, and her voting card, her polling card, was delivered to the house, along with mine, not so long ago.

Funny the things that get to you; in any case, I doubt that many (or any) more polling cards will arrive for her, as the voters' register will be updated, and this is probably the last. However, I shall keep it, and I think that I shall use this card as a book-mark, perhaps have something made from leather with which to keep it. And remember her by.

8. Mefisto, May 25, 2019
    Last edited: May 25, 2019

Mefisto macrumors 6502a

Mefisto

People skills and human behavior are on my mind. Having worked in some, I guess "high stress" situations/environments (obviously not wars or anything like that, but still places where the potential for grave bodily harm, or at least severe annoyance is present if everything is not done exactly as it should), I can surely understand that sometimes when the S is hitting the F the mere sight of another person can irritate you to no end. This happens fairly frequently in my line of work.

And every time (well, 99% of the time) these things end the same way. Everything will be well when people work together. If there was a way to cut out the snark, anger, generally just signs of frustration directed towards people who 1)are not responsible for all your troubles, and 2)have no way of fixing all your issues right then and there, the world would be a much nicer place.

Then again, the sun is shining and there's a cold brew on my table. All is well.

9. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I’m reading Game of Thrones (book1) and I can’t get GoT music to stop playing in my head as I read! At least it replaced Ballroom Blitz which has been playing since yesterday afternoon. :p

10. cube macrumors P6

OK, so one must not watch GoT before reading the books.

I guess it would be like Outlander: no interest in watching after reading the books.

11. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

There is not helpful truth in your statement. :)
    I started reading the books at the end of Season 1 and managed to stay ahead of the show. This is a second read.

12. cube macrumors P6

It is helpful if you have not watched GoT.

13. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

...not helpful to me. :p

14. cube, May 26, 2019
    Last edited: May 26, 2019

cube macrumors P6

The EU elections results coverage started. People are still voting in some countries.

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Very happy about learning that a Downton Abbey movie will be released in September. The trailer is simply beautiful.

16. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

Why after the bank holiday weekend is it a beautiful sunny day? Stuck in the office all day today. Didn't even get out for my lunchtime walk.

17. cube macrumors P6

- AMD 50th anniversary
    - Airbus 50th anniversary
    - ASUS 30th anniversary

18. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Yes, I spotted that a few days ago; wonderful. And beautifully shot.

I loved Downton Abbey when it was first broadcast (I even have the first series on DVD, - which I watched again this year - a gift from my brother).

19. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68040

Ulenspiegel

Bigotry and ignorance.
    Amazing how easily people can become blind and deaf in the shadow of some ideology.

20. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Thinking about buying a Subbuteo set... nostalgia takes over.

21. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Oh, dear.

I do remember Subbeteo, my brother had a set (or two). Actually, I seem to recall that the accessories became more - complicated, excessive, expensive - with time.

Some years earlier, to my chagrin, my father (and his father) had vetoed a purchase I had made of a Subbeteo set sold by an entrepreneurially minded neighbour's child.

What teams have you in mind?

22. Zenithal macrumors 604

I always thought Subbuteo was like Monopoly. Innocent game but it brings out the fight in people. That said, I rather miss playing Monopoly.

23. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Actually, (having played both as a child, and er, teenager), I think that they are rather different.

24. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I have to see which team is available. I'd choose (if available): AC Milan, Juventus, Italy, Brazil for now.
    --- Post Merged, May 30, 2019 ---
    Nah, Monopoly is a whole other level than any other game in human history...

25. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Ah, so one pair for national level games, and the other for international games.

Agreed.

Now, that is an evil game, and leads to games that can be extraordinarily competitive.