iPhone XS Max What’s the best way to set up FaceID?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NovemberWhiskey, Oct 19, 2018.

1. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68040

NovemberWhiskey

close up/far away?

Bright light/dim light?

Look at camera or don’t look at camera?

The first time I set up faceid it unlocked instantly. I had to swap phones because of panel yellowness, and on this new phone it feels much slower. I am waiting for it much more.

Also, on the first phone, my animojis all had normal looking eyes, but with this new phone, they all squint because I have small eyes. I thought apple had fixed the problem in the new phones, but it’s like my iPhone X.

I’ve reset faceid many times, and still can’t get that original setup no matter what (quick unlocking and normal Animoji eyes).

2. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

Suggest you do it at bellybutton height with you looking downward at the phone & at about 30cm away from your gut, to prevent you needing to hold it at head height.

3. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

Just use your face and look into the camera & follow the instructions. That's literally all you need to do!

4. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

I find the distance is what effects the process the most. If you get the the distance that you most commonly use right, the phone will even unlock when you don’t expect it to.

5. mfrank29 macrumors newbie

I try to use decent indoor lighting in front of a contrasting background. I do the first scan at face height and the second with me looking down the way I might sometimes be when unlocking it. After running the setup many times many ways, this has worked best for me. IF you only scan your face at face height, it doesn't work as well when you are looking down or with it flat on a table. My last setup I did with my XS max has been surprisingly good at unlocking from angles I wouldn't expect it to and it is noticeably faster than my X was.

6. 700-Grizz macrumors 6502

700-Grizz

I did mine naked--scanning the whole body

7. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

I have set mine up in well lit rooms and I remove any hats or glasses. I don't do anything particular with my facial hair but face ID has adapted over the past year without incident.

My failure rate is nearly zero. bright sunlight, glasses, hats, post shave. Face ID doesn't seem to have an issue with my face.

8. predation macrumors 65816