What’s The Big Deal About The Hermès?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Soba1, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Soba1 macrumors regular

Soba1

Can someone please tell me what is the difference between the Hermès and the other SS watches. Besides the bands and watch faces thanks

2. joeblough macrumors 6502

it's a status symbol? bands and watchfaces are the only differences between the nike version, the plain version and the hermes version, as far as i know.

3. CreepyAF macrumors regular

CreepyAF

the apple watch is already a status symbol, and the hermes takes it up a few notches. hermes is a high end brand amongst the high end brands. they have their own farms to produce perfect leathers without blemishes. their silks are also some of the best.

4. Soba1 thread starter macrumors regular

Soba1

5. nasa25 macrumors 65816

Rich or faux rich people wanna stunt on commoners.

6. Soba1 thread starter macrumors regular

Soba1

Lol

7. StumpyBloke Suspended

StumpyBloke

No way is Apple Watch a status symbol...IMO of course. I love mine...but a status symbol it ain’t.

8. Soba1 thread starter macrumors regular

Soba1

Well some people think I am crazy for paying the price of a stainless steel

9. Luba macrumors 65816

Luba

And an extra year of warranty, 2 instead of 1.

10. Soba1 thread starter macrumors regular

Soba1

Hahahahaha I just get insurance through my carrier

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Hermes is all about a fashion statement paired with Apple, that’s really what you’re purchasing is the brand, and a quality leather band, aside from the other few details that’s included. Apple has always been a fashion in some sense, Hermes is a luxury brand and Thats what this specific watch is portraying.

12. Luba macrumors 65816

Luba

Why is this funny? You wanted to know the differences between Hermès and the regular SS. It’s not a big deal, but the Hermès version does provide an extra year of warranty.

13. ihonda macrumors 68000

If Hermès came in black id easily get Hermès over standard SBSS

14. Luba macrumors 65816

Luba

I’m guessing it’s because Hermès didn’t want to make two sets of bands, one with SS logs and the other with SBSS lugs. It looked like fashionable Linda Henry (wife of Red Sox owner and Boston Globe editor) had a Hermès strap with SBSS, so maybe the lugs not matching the color of the case is not a big deal.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think its a status symbol, why spend a premium on an already expensive watch that doesn't offer any different user experience. That is the sport apple watch functions exactly the same way as the hermes. I think this especially true given that people are upgrading theses every few years.

16. nasa25 macrumors 65816

it's funny people are paying like $500 plus for a Hermes strap.

I can get a handmade horween shell cordovan band (which I'm wearing right now) for $100.

Companies like E3, Arrow & Board, etc are putting out some amazing quality stuff.

17. winterny macrumors 6502

Maybe ... I am fortunate enough to have a decent enough income to not really care about the price difference between the SS and Aluminum versions. I can also easily afford the Hermes version, but never bought one. I have plenty of friends in the same sort of financial category.

I personally never even considered the Aluminum version, mostly because of the sapphire vs glass screen.

Recently, a friend with a higher net worth than me, that I had not seen in a while, who likely made the same consideration as you said "The sport version is exactly the same, so why would I even consider any other version" saw my watch, and was immediately impressed with it and was commenting on how much better it looked. That was just SS vs Aluminum.

I made similar comments on the Hermes version just being insanely overpriced ... But another friend commented to me that I was clearly missing the point, and suggested that I go to the store and actually inspect the leather as compared to the regular apple leather. There is a very clear and noticeable difference. The Hermes bands make the watch much closer to a high-end luxury watch (which will likely cost at least 5-10X more than the Hermes Apple Watch). The Hermes band is also transferrable to a future watch, so just because you replace the watch in 3 years does not mean that the band goes to waste.

With that said, I'm personally mostly wearing the white sport band at this point, occasionally swapping in the Milanese band. Leather in general seems impractical to me -- but I see the point of the Hermes watch.

18. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

anthonymoody

It does. It includes a sport band which cannot be purchased separately, and watch faces that cannot be had otherwise. You may not value these especially, but they exist.

There are 3rd party bands that are nice. They do not hold a candle to the quality of the Hermes bands.

Just like Hondas do the same job as BMWs, no one would confuse the two, just as no one would confuse a BMW and a Bentley.

19. CreepyAF macrumors regular

CreepyAF

if you appreciate the work of skilled artisans using only the highest quality materials with no expense spared, then you will appreciate Hermès as a brand. I love their ties and they are instantly recognizable, and I give mental props to those I see wearing them. When it comes to luxury, practicality takes a backseat to emotion, exclusivity and elegance.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I saw someone selling a hermes band here at MR and it was identical to any other apple band, except for the price (of course) and the tiny little hermes logo on it. Like I said, you're getting an identical watch, the hermes doesn't do anything different (aside from a different watch face) but you're paying a premium

21. oeagleo macrumors 6502

oeagleo

I too thought it ridiculous to pay $180+ for a tie, until I owned one. Then several. All with the little trumpet in the design. The silk in their ties is beyond compare in it's softness, smoothness, and just plain beauty. I've since quit wearing ties since retiring, but if the Hermes watch band is like the ties in quality, then it's probably worth the money. Trouble is, that I probably won't be buying one anytime soon.. :)

22. CreepyAF macrumors regular

CreepyAF

Yes, I’ve amassed quite a few of their beautiful ties. My mom used to buy dozens of Hermès scarves and ties for her work, and I always got one for free. There’s a little loop of silk in the back of the Hermès tie to display the quality of the materials. And their designs are playful and elegant at the same time.

23. hologram macrumors 6502

Nobody is paying more for the watch. They’re paying for the band and some extra faces.

That’s fine if you’re in that income group and want those particular things (which might be significant to some) but I’m not and I don’t. Still, I’m happy for those who are and do. It’s always good to have a choice.

24. oeagleo macrumors 6502

oeagleo

BINGO!