Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
The ceramic was way too expensive for a smart watch and simply because the consumer just wants something for basic fitness tracking and notifications, even though It had its benefits, it was way overpriced, not to mention how expensive Applecare is for that specific model.

For sure. They just needed to fill that niche itch and they did so with a relatively affordable lineup of Hermès.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
the hermes sports band is made by apple, but the leather hermes band is made by hermes. good leather will stand the test of time. i had a gucci wallet last 3 years, while a montblanc wallet last 9 years and still look new'ish.
I was pointing out that I saw a hermes band that was identical and the fact remains you're paying a premium for a product that functionally speaking works exactly the same as the sport watch.

dstew201

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2016
If it means I spend 500 dollars on a watch that does everything the 1,4,00 dollar watch does, then I'll gladly not get it.
well not everything... you don't get the beautiful watch faces, or exquisite band, extended warranty.. blah blah! :p

Hey, as long as you're happy with your purchase... I'm happy with mine...:D

What confuses me are people that purchase the Hermes bands, for a "non" Hermes SS AW, since they lose out on the other goodies (e.g. face, warranty, etc..)

Last edited:

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
If it means I spend 500 dollars on a watch that does everything the 1,4,00 dollar watch does, then I'll gladly not get it.

I guess that means you drive the cheapest Kia? Shop only at Costco in massive bulk? In the generic aisle at the supermarket?

After all, those things do the same job as the more expensive things.

Reactions: Ron21 and dstew201

Soba1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I guess that means you drive the cheapest Kia? Shop only at Costco in massive bulk? In the generic aisle at the supermarket?

Lol that’s soooooo wrong

CreepyAF

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2018
Behind you
hermes is for the ultra-wealthy. for them to partner with apple benefits both sides - apple gains luxury status and hermes gains brand awareness. an economically challenged person could not afford even the cheapest hermes product - keychains run about $1k, and belts start at $500.

apple buyers come from a much wider swath of consumers. and for a lot of apple customers, they won't get the hermes brand/heritage/lifestyle. and that's okay. only the wealthy would think of dropping $92k on a crocodile t-shirt from hermes. so an extra $500 for an hermes watch is actually a pittance to the ultra-wealthy, but for the avg apple consumer, it's a taste of how the 0.001% live.

Hermes-Crocodile-Leather-T-Shirt-91500-dollars-Featured1.jpg

Reactions: dstew201

dstew201

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2016

hermes is for the ultra-wealthy. for them to partner with apple benefits both sides - apple gains luxury status and hermes gains brand awareness. an economically challenged person could not afford even the cheapest hermes product - keychains run about $1k, and belts start at $500.

apple buyers come from a much wider swath of consumers. and for a lot of apple customers, they won't get the hermes brand/heritage/lifestyle. and that's okay. only the wealthy would think of dropping $92k on a crocodile t-shirt from hermes. so an extra $500 for an hermes watch is actually a pittance to the ultra-wealthy, but for the avg apple consumer, it's a taste of how the 0.001% live.

Hermes-Crocodile-Leather-T-Shirt-91500-dollars-Featured1.jpg

YOU BOTH WON!

Last edited:

Partridge

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2007
I was pointing out that I saw a hermes band that was identical and the fact remains you're paying a premium for a product that functionally speaking works exactly the same as the sport watch.

That band you’re pointing out is the apple sport band that’s included in the package for casual/sport wear when you don’t want to wear the leather band. It’s not sold separately from the watch, unlike the other bands, so it’s hard to put a value on it.

Considering rarer discontinued Apple Watch bands like the pink Nike sport band regularly sell for $150+ used on eBay it’s not surprising that the Hermes orange one with the logo on it will fetch about $200 or so.

Reactions: dstew201

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago

There is nothing wrong with prioritizing function (which is the same except for the watch faces) or price. Both of those are legitimate reasons for a purchase decision and no one is saying someone is wrong not to buy a Hermes. This thread is about what makes the Hermes band worth the money for those who choose it.
[doublepost=1541363593][/doublepost]
I have to disagree
Just look at this for sale

This hermes band looks like any other apple sports band except for the logo
View attachment 800642

I wasn't talking about the quality of the included sport band, which I assume you understood. That said, even that band is worth something to people because of the unique color (which if you know Hermes is their traditional flagship color).

jettie1767

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2003
New Jersey, USA
well not everything... you don't get the beautiful watch faces, or exquisite band, extended warranty.. blah blah! :p

Hey, as long as you're happy with your purchase... I'm happy with mine...:D

What confuses me are people that purchase the Hermes bands, for a "non" Hermes SS AW, since they lose out on the other goodies (e.g. face, warranty, etc..)

I spend money on the Hermes leather watch bands but own a non-H SS AW. I buy them because I like the colors. I don't need the watch faces enough to pay H prices for the watch. I also buy quite a bit of H shoes, belts, etc.

Reactions: perezr10

dstew201

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2016
I spend money on the Hermes leather watch bands but own a non-H SS AW. I buy them because I like the colors. I don't need the watch faces enough to pay H prices for the watch. I also buy quite a bit of H shoes, belts, etc.

Soooo let me get this straight, you have an issue with H prices regarding the watch? But will pay the price for H shoes, belts, etc...?

:confused:

If you’re going to spend the coin on a SS Watch, approximately 800, plus the Hermès band 399-539? Why not just pay the 1400 or so and have the watch faces available, just in case? The feu Watch face would go great with the indigo/craie/orange single tour.

Last edited:

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I can’t believe that people on eBay are selling the Hermès sport band for over $200. It’s a sport band, not finely crafted leather.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I can’t believe that people on eBay are selling the Hermès sport band for over $200. It’s a sport band, not finely crafted leather.

I wouldn’t pay that either, especially being there are third party bands that look exactly like it. But for those who are willing to pay that price, are simply buying it because of the branding, it doesn’t offer any other benefit over the regular Apple sport bands aside from the insignia.

dstew201

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2016

Well, you just can’t walk into an apple store and purchase one. Supply and demand...:cool:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
In many cases yes, you are correct.I do shop at costco and buy in bulk where it makes sense. Nothing wrong with the generic aisle at the supermarket. You make it sound like those products are beneath you. I'm not beneath saving money, and while I'm not cheap, as a husband and father, I do look at stretching my dollar and getting value for my purchases. This is why I feel the sport watch is a better buy. Just my opinion

dstew201

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2016
In many cases yes, you are correct.I do shop at costco and buy in bulk where it makes sense. Nothing wrong with the generic aisle at the supermarket. You make it sound like those products are beneath you. I'm not beneath saving money, and while I'm not cheap, as a husband and father, I do look at stretching my dollar and getting value for my purchases. This is why I feel the sport watch is a better buy. Just my opinion

Life is too short, get what YOU enjoy (as long as it's not negatively impacting your life or the ones you love), don't look back and just be happy!! ;)

It's all subjective, whatever value we place in material items...

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002

I was not judging, just trying to see if you were consistent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.