HomeKit What’s the deal?

Jwpyle3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2019
Lutz, FL USA
Hello, I was wondering what is the deal with limited HoneKit support from device manufacturers compared to Alexa and Google Assistant. Just about every smart switch, plug, etc. supports Alexa and/or Google assistant but very few support HomeKit. Does Apple have some kind of crazy license requirements for device manufacturers.

I want to use HomeKit but I just gave a feeling that HomeKit is so far behind they might not catchup. Even my washer, dryer, TV, Dish, Alarm system and Nest support Alexa but not HomeKit.

Do you all think HomeKit will make it? Maybe the Home.app could support non HomeKit devices.

James

gwang73

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
San Francisco Area
I think it'll make it. With recent CES announcements for 3rd party TVs to support HomeKit, I think this will open up the ecosystem and more devices will add support for it.

MistrSynistr

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2014
Homekit is awesome, and has options for everything but the security doorbell (one was introduced at CES).

Believe me when I say, you don't want that Google/Amazon SPYware trash in your home, regardless if Alexa can sing you songs and tell a joke or not.

Reactions: vista.john

Solver

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
USA
With the latest versions of iOS, many manufacturers will be able to update their devices to support homekit with a firmware/software update.

ColdCase

macrumors 68030
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Amazon and google poor tons of money into the industry in an attempt to corner the market (their business case). So their integration may be faster to the market.

Q-Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
The Apple security and privacy requirements for homekit are much stricter than the other systems.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
It's because when HomeKit initially came out Apple like always put a certification process in place for manufactures to be able to make their stuff compatible. Many of them just didn't bother to do so. From what I've read Apple has now backed off that and you see many more companies adding support for HomeKit.