Other What’s the minimum you need to upgrade?

Ralfi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Please state what phone you have & the minimum one to three features you’ll see as a justified reason to upgrade.

I have an iPhone X & require the following...
  • More RAM, & better RAM management - tired of Music Apps forgetting where they are, mid-playlist.
  • Haptic Touch that completely replaces 3D Touch - not just for some uses.
  • USB-C, so the iPad Pro & iPhone are on the same page.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Haven’t really thought about it since getting the Xs max in September.

I usually decide after the iPhone event.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I personally don’t need a minimum of anything to upgrade. There has never been just ‘one’ compelling feature or feature(s) that has pushed me to want to upgrade my iPhone. I simply just upgrade whenever I feel the need too for XYZ reasons. For me, what I find compelling even over hardware, is the software experience. I have reached a point where hardware really isn’t that important to me as it used to be, as it is now all about iOS. I actually look forward to more with WWDC/iOS debuting than I do the Fall keynotes with hardware.

Reactions: walkthruwalls

internetrando

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
Please state what phone you have & the minimum one to three features you’ll see as a justified reason to upgrade.

• More RAM, & better RAM management - tired of Music Apps forgetting where they are, mid-playlist.
I have NEVER had RAM management issues or complaints that you mention.

I like lightning - what does USB-C offer over lighting other than some cross-compatibility?

3D Touch is superior to Haptic Touch in every possible way in my experience. How do you figure that Haptic Touch is any better?

For me, all I care about is battery life (efficiency) and camera quality (better / larger sensors). Past that, I upgrade every year just because I want to and because I can. I like the newest tech.

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two

Take a guess at what mine are! ;)

eoblaed

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2010

I have a XS Max. My justifications for upgrade.

At least one of the following:
  • CPU spec bump
  • camera spec bump
  • screen spec bump
  • any sort of performance spec bump (GPU, neural engine, etc)
:)

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Have Xs.

Want:

1) White point color temp slider (sorry, Color Filters is not a substitute for white point adjustment)

2) Promotion Display

3) Brighter display, 700-800 nits, and max brightness reachable by me - not by auto brightness and the sun - would be nice, but this will never happen

Ralfi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I have NEVER had RAM management issues or complaints that you mention.

I like lightning - what does USB-C offer over lighting other than some cross-compatibility?

3D Touch is superior to Haptic Touch in every possible way in my experience. How do you figure that Haptic Touch is any better?

For me, all I care about is battery life (efficiency) and camera quality (better / larger sensors). Past that, I upgrade every year just because I want to and because I can. I like the newest tech.
My RAM drops Apple Music/Spotify playlists regularly, when I use other Apps in between for lengthy periods of time. When the playlist goes for hours, & you lose your spot....well, I expect better from Apple. Otherwise, RAM management is pretty good.

USB-C allows you to interchange iPad Pro charge cables. It’s a convenience. Plus, true fast charging may finally be supported.

3D Touch is brilliant, but I’m thinking realistically that on the next iPhone/s Haptic Touch is the way Apple is going. But I won’t upgrade until they’ve covered 3D Touch functionality entirely with Haptic Touch.

Reactions: internetrando

Falhófnir

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2017
Under screen Touch ID would make me interested in trying out a X style form factor. If it doesn't happen I guess the 8 plus is as far as I'm going until it's no longer viable and forces my hand.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA

I'm wondering if I should pickup another XS Max tomorrow at my local mall here in California. I was in Portland, Oregon last weekend and the store was closed for renovation all this week. Not sure when it will re-open. I was bummed because I could've saved $100 in taxes. With 6 months away for iPhone XI, I'm wondering if I should move forward with an XS Max. I really don't know what to do.

Ralfi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I personally don’t need a minimum of anything to upgrade. There has never been just ‘one’ compelling feature or feature(s) that has pushed me to want to upgrade my iPhone. I simply just upgrade whenever I feel the need too for XYZ reasons.
I’m usually similar, but the news of Apple axing 3D Touch & not replacing it fully (at first anyway) has me concerned.

Usually, after 3 years, I upgrade knowing the iPhone will have been improved in every aspect, but not have gone backwards with the removal of a key software/hardware function I use frequently.

No 3D Touch/Haptic Touch covering all current bases on the XS & earlier models sacrifices too much for me.