What’s up with High Sierra on Macbook Mid-2012 non retina and iMac 5k retina?

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by honeycombz, May 1, 2018.

  1. honeycombz macrumors 6502

    honeycombz

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2013
    #1
    Hey, been thinking about upgrading from Sierra on my Mid 2012 Macbook, wondering what the word is? It has an SSD running in it, everything seems fine at the moment. Do I need to worry about all that APFS stuff or can I just upgrade and not convert the drive and all. I also have an iMac 5k, forget the year, I think it was the first or second version but it has the fusion drive, that gonna be a problem?
     
  2. goslowjoe macrumors member

    goslowjoe

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2017
    Location:
    On the lonely planet
    #2
    High Sierra works perfectly on my mid-2012 MacBook Pro with a 240GB Crucial SSD and 8GB RAM. Had no problems with the APFS conversion. APFS on a Fusion drive on the iMac is a different story. I'd keep HFS on that drive.
     
  3. honeycombz thread starter macrumors 6502

    honeycombz

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2013
    #3
    If I'm transferring files from an APFS drive to an HFS drive is that going to be an issue?
     
  4. BLUEDOG314 macrumors 6502

    BLUEDOG314

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2015
    #4
    No issues with that. Just be aware if you have APFS on any drive, boot drive or not, older OSes wont be able to read data on it. I have an early 2011 MBP 13 with an older Crucial 480GB SSD and its fine.
     
  5. honeycombz thread starter macrumors 6502

    honeycombz

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2013
    #5
    So if I am trying to access the APFS drive from an older OS over the network that won't work?
     
  6. Plutonius macrumors 604

    Plutonius

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2003
    Location:
    New Hampshire, USA
    #6
    Read all the threads on High Sierra before deciding. If it was me, I would just stay with Sierra. You may not run into the High Sierra issues that many users have but I doubt you will see any perceptible performance increase under High Sierra.
     
  7. honeycombz thread starter macrumors 6502

    honeycombz

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2013
    #7
    I'll probably do what I always do, just wait until Apple wraps up their patch releases then roll. Sometimes I just do every other OS with HS being the other but this Macbook was used and came with Sierra on it. All my other machines I'm still on El Capitan.
     
  8. honeycombz thread starter macrumors 6502

    honeycombz

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2013
    #8
    So just an update my iMac is 17,1 which I guess doesn't support HEVC acceleration? How much of an issue would that be in upgrading to HS?
     

Share This Page