Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freakomac

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
Launch day iPhone X
Both phone and coconut battery say 93-94% capacity.
But off late I am getting only 4-5 hours usage whereas I used to get 6-7 hours or little more couple of weeks back. Usage pattern hasnt changed at all. I need low power mode throughout to get even 6 hours. This is very bad.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I've only had mine for ~2.5 months & still on 100%. Used a combination of wired chargers: Apple 5W, iPad 12W, Windows Laptop USB (5W), CarPlay USB (I presume 5W) & my work vehicle's proprietary charge cable, which I use a micro-USB to Lightning adapter with, so unsure of the wattage...

Launch day iPhone X
But off late I am getting only 4-5 hours usage whereas I used to get 6-7 hours or little more couple of weeks back. Usage pattern hasnt changed at all. I need low power mode throughout to get even 6 hours. This is very bad.
What do you use to charge it? Standard 5W wall charger? iPad wall charger? Wireless (high or low wattage) charger?

Last edited:

freakomac

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
What do you use to charge it? Standard 5W wall charger? iPad wall charger? Wireless (high or low wattage) charger?

I alternate between the standard 5W charger at home and a standard wireless charger at my workplace. 50/50 roughly

Launch day iPhone X
What's your settings look like?

freakomac

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
What's your settings look like?

I am on 11.3.1, will update to 11.4 soon and reverify.
Otherwise, BG refresh is on only for 3-4 apps.
Location services are limited to certain apps and disabled for other services.
Brightness is set to auto, true tone is on.
Notifications for most apps show only in history, so they dont light up the display unecessarily.

These have been the same settings since my previous iPhone.
I recently read wireless charging accelarates battery cycle count, I am not sure if that is causing faster wear rate and lower battery usage times.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
I am on 11.3.1, will update to 11.4 soon and reverify.
Otherwise, BG refresh is on only for 3-4 apps.
Location services are limited to certain apps and disabled for other services.
Brightness is set to auto, true tone is on.
Notifications for most apps show only in history, so they dont light up the display unecessarily.

These have been the same settings since my previous iPhone.
I recently read wireless charging accelarates battery cycle count, I am not sure if that is causing faster wear rate and lower battery usage times.

On 11.3.1 I use mostly wireless charging except in the car a few hours a week, and my launch day X is still showing 100% capacity. I tend to get 6-8 hours of usage from 10AM through the day to about 2AM (16 hour day).

I have similar settings, but my notifications do wake the screen - mail is set for automatic fetch, only 4-5 apps are on background app refresh, and location is limited to about 20 apps, true tone on, auto brightness on with baseline at about 20% of max.

I just went to 11.4 and will see how battery life goes after that.

freakomac

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
On 11.3.1 I use mostly wireless charging except in the car a few hours a week, and my launch day X is still showing 100% capacity. I tend to get 6-8 hours of usage from 10AM through the day to about 2AM (16 hour day).

I have similar settings, but my notifications do wake the screen - mail is set for automatic fetch, only 4-5 apps are on background app refresh, and location is limited to about 20 apps, true tone on, auto brightness on with baseline at about 20% of max.

I just went to 11.4 and will see how battery life goes after that.

Mail is also set to manual in mine.
Yesterday I got 4.5 hours usage over 16 hour standby, drained to 1% after a long time. Theres doesnt seem to be any 'rogue' app draining the battery.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Mail is also set to manual in mine.
Yesterday I got 4.5 hours usage over 16 hour standby, drained to 1% after a long time. Theres doesnt seem to be any 'rogue' app draining the battery.

So, you checked to see how much battery each app is using, and no rogue apps. What about

Try "reset network settings" as I've seen that help in the past.

A last resort is to "reset all settings" but not the option that loses data. But then you have to go back through settings and get everything back the way you like it again, except you can't set privacy and location settings back to your usual for most apps until you've actually run the apps.

You could also try backing up and choosing "restore" iOS in iTunes, and then after everything is back on it might work better once iOS Spotlight is done indexing all the files. I've had cases where an OTA update corrupted something and doing this to reinstall iOS has fixed it (one case where I could watch the battery drain 1% every 2-4 minutes).

freakomac

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
So, you checked to see how much battery each app is using, and no rogue apps. What about

Try "reset network settings" as I've seen that help in the past.

A last resort is to "reset all settings" but not the option that loses data. But then you have to go back through settings and get everything back the way you like it again, except you can't set privacy and location settings back to your usual for most apps until you've actually run the apps.

You could also try backing up and choosing "restore" iOS in iTunes, and then after everything is back on it might work better once iOS Spotlight is done indexing all the files. I've had cases where an OTA update corrupted something and doing this to reinstall iOS has fixed it (one case where I could watch the battery drain 1% every 2-4 minutes).

Yes, I have checked settings, not able to find anything unusual.
I have done the network settings reset and reset all settings earlier during 11.1 days, I will try now.
All my updates have been OTA, so maybe its worth trying once via iTunes to see if it makes any difference.

gahig ulo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2017
riverside california
After 7 months of use this is my batt health ofcourse i dont use fast/wireless charging

Attachments

• EFDD6346-AEBE-4109-B67A-EC239168CFFD.png
    EFDD6346-AEBE-4109-B67A-EC239168CFFD.png
    381.8 KB · Views: 210

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I dropped my tp link battery ( I use this https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5524_TL-PB15600.html) and battery status is freezed in 91% for 1 month.... For me... Fast charging is the reason battery health dropped so fast :/
Interesting. What exactly do you use to fast charge?
[doublepost=1529731553][/doublepost]
I got my iPhone X on launch day, it still shows 100%. It goes on the wireless charger 9 out of 10 nights.
Is it standard or fast wireless charge?

MacintoshDan

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
Interesting. What exactly do you use to fast charge?
[doublepost=1529731553][/doublepost]
Is it standard or fast wireless charge?

I was using a Belkin BoostUP, then I switched to the Mophie Wireless Charging Base. Both are 7.5w.

Reactions: Ralfi

Libertas

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2018
What I love is once a week or so my USAGE and STANDBY will be the same which it is NOT supposed to be. Close all apps, keeps doing it. We have talked till blue in the face to each other here and Apple and it is either that many many different apps do this since we dont all use the same ones OR our iphone X's have an issue. Annoying.

My 6 month old X is at 97% by the way. Just dropped from 99 to 97 in a week.
[doublepost=1529963449][/doublepost]
100%

I’ve had it since mid December.
What are your charging practices? How often, what percentage do you usually let it go down to before charging? You're doing something right obviously.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I charge both my 8 and X wirelessly and they both show 100% after 8 and 5 months old respectively. I believe I'm a light user of each. I mainly listen to music, browse and read books. I have no games on either and I only watch short YouTube clips, no films.

Libertas

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2018
I charge both my 8 and X wirelessly and they both show 100% after 8 and 5 months old respectively. I believe I'm a light user of each. I mainly listen to music, browse and read books. I have no games on either and I only watch short YouTube clips, no films.
Which wireless product?

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
What I love is once a week or so my USAGE and STANDBY will be the same which it is NOT supposed to be. Close all apps, keeps doing it. We have talked till blue in the face to each other here and Apple and it is either that many many different apps do this since we dont all use the same ones OR our iphone X's have an issue. Annoying.

My 6 month old X is at 97% by the way. Just dropped from 99 to 97 in a week.
[doublepost=1529963449][/doublepost]
What are your charging practices? How often, what percentage do you usually let it go down to before charging? You're doing something right obviously.
Just checked mine again and it’s gone down to 95%. I do fast changing so that’s probably contributed to its decline.

kepler20b

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2014
my december X is at 99%

last 2 months ive completely stopped charging to 100%. fully embraced the "30-70%" lifestyle.

afaik it doesnt matter how fast u charge or what type of charge. its all about cycles & temperature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.