What 2013 will bring for iPhone and iOS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brounmoney, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Brounmoney macrumors 6502

So first of all what we do know is there will be NO cheap iPhone is 2013 or ever. I never believed there would be, but it seemed these forums were full of people that did. Apple came out yesterday to debunk the WSJ rumors that there would be a cheap iPhone. Ok so we got that out of the way. The next big thing I see on these forums is that we will have an new 4.3 or 4.5 inch iPhone 6 in as early as June of 2013. Not a chance! Have we learned anything from Apple since the first iPhone came out. WE WILL NOT GET A NEW IPHONE WITHIN A YEAR! It just will not happen. We will have an iPhone 5s with some feature that the iPhone 5 does not have yet and will never get. I mean I am not just speculating on this apple has shown us year after year this is the way they work. Ok so my very favorite rumor on these forums is iOS 7 will be a total redesign. Wow again want happen! Once again let's look at iOS on the first iPhone and the iPhone 5. Look at how many iPhone we have had and we have had 6 major iOS updates none of which were redesigns. Here is what we will get:

- new features that we should have had from the beginning.
    - a couple of core apps change the design a bit.
    - the iPhone 5s will have some feature that no other iPhone before it will. ( something like Siri)
    - an update to maps

Look I know a lot of people want some change, but until we start speaking with our wallets and not just our mouths then we will never see very much change. We keep buying everything apple releases no matter what it is, and why should apple change. I see post of people saying that if apple wants to keep selling iPhones they are going to have to change iOS. Why cause no one has stopped buying them. Look at the MacBook and earlier than that. We have not see a true redesign in it. As long as apple is getting our money why would they feel a need to change?

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

????
    Original: June 29, 2007
    iPhone 3G: July 11, 2008
    iPhone 3GS: June 19, 2009
    iPhone 4: June 24, 2010
    iPhone 4S: October 14, 2011
    iPhone 5: September 21, 2012

This also doesn't include the update to the 2G with capacity increase and price drop.

3. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

What makes you think nothing is going to change? There was a MAJOR shakeup of top-level execs at Apple. Most of the time, successful companies don't do this kind of thing unless they're going to make a change... (unsuccessful organizations will do this more frequently to try to become successful). Not to mention they've now REPLACED the sr. vp of iOS software... Does that not lend itself to them *possibly* wanting to update an aging interface?

I'm not saying iOS is going to drastically change in any way... but I wouldn't be surprised if it begins a bit more rapid evolution than we've seen in the past -- and soon.

I'm with you though -- I didn't really see Apple moving down-market with it's hottest device (iPhone). It just doesn't make sense from an image/branding perspective. The whole reason they're able to charge $800 for a device containing ~$140 worth of parts is because of the perceived value in owning an iPhone. This is made possible by the iPhone's branding and image. If they moved down-market with a cheaper product, it would really tarnish the image of the iPhone and they wouldn't be able to command such a high price anymore.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see similar advancements on the hardware side with upcoming iPhones but larger advancements/evolutions in the software realm.

4. Brounmoney thread starter macrumors 6502

I am not sure what you are trying to show me with is? You just showed me the iphone that have come out since 2007. I pointed out the fact that iOS has not changed since then. Sure the phones design has changed a little, which is great. I just don't think we will see a huge screen and new iOS.

----------

Apple has changed upper management before and done nothing huge. I mean just look apple had tons of time to change things since the first iphone and the 5. I mean they could have changed the look a little each time they updated the look of the iPhone. I am not a google fanboy, but with each new nexus phone they get a huge change to the OS. The nexus 4 has sold like crazy because of that. I have used google phone a lot and just bought the iPhone in nov. what I liked about the nexus phones was I was getting something different each time. I just don't see that in apple. Give me something solid as to why you think it will change. History sure does not give us evidence of that.

5. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

And I'd bet big that you're in the minority.

6. Brounmoney thread starter macrumors 6502

Because I like something new when I get a NEW phone?

7. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

No, because you like something different (more so than we've previously seen from Apple) when you get something new.

And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. I just think it's a minority position.

8. Brounmoney thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't really think that because I have seen tons of tech blogs like gizmodo and Engadget saying that they want a refresh, and all the comments on the blog are am saying they want something different as well. Also look at some topics people have started here. There are plenty if people looking for something new and refreshing.

9. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

I agree that there are plenty of such people. The thing is that, at least in my world, the vast majority of iPhone owners have never checked out a tech blog or even heard of Gizmodo or Engadget. Or created topics on a forum.

Wanting change is all well and good but I just don't personally believe that it's what most people want.

10. Brounmoney thread starter macrumors 6502

I not sure if there is a want to or not. Mostly I think it is a more of not caring. A lot of people that have iPhones just want it to work. It seem more more that people with iPhones are not tech minded people like me, but people in there 40s and 50s that could careless and just want to email and call people. Maybe they surf the web every now and then.

11. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I hope it brings a new lockscreen. The fact that the lockscreen still looks the same as it did in the first iPhone in 2007 is starting to annoy me. Other than that I love jailbroken iOS so I hope Apple also brings a few holes for the dev team in 2013 :D