What 2nd monitor to buy??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by edhayes, Jan 24, 2009.

1. edhayes macrumors newbie

I own a 24" iMac and currently have a 19 inch old Dell monitor attached as a 2nd monitor.
    I want to get a 24" 1920x1200 monitor.
    I don't want to spend over 4-5 hundred.

Any suggestions????

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

What do you do? Games? Photography work? Graphic design?

These are important to know so that we might recommend you the right monitor.

3. edhayes thread starter macrumors newbie

I do a lot of photography but remember this is the second monitor and the iMac is where color correction ect can occur.
    I just want something good to very good that will match my present iMac's dimensions and resolution and it also has to work and play well with the iMac.
    I do some gaming but not that much.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

5. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

This monitor is also twice the budget indicated in the OP.

To OP:

I use a 24" Samsung 2493HM. I purchased this one to balance price, features and size. I picked it up on sale for $379 at Futureshop. I just checked and they no longer seem to sell them. The Samsung T240 seems to have similar specs (VGA, DVI and HDMI) for $399. The one drawback with the T240 is that it cannot be mounted on an articulated arm.

6. edhayes thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Mactagonist macrumors 6502a

8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Sorry thought he was talking in Pounds ££ :p Samsungs are really good value and relatively high quality, but if i had an imac id want something to match my original screen for aesthetic purposes.

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

But it won't work with his computer. :rolleyes:

10. Sigur macrumors regular

Sigur

I have the same issue as the thread starter. Only difference is that I'm using a MacBook Pro 4,1.

11. nutman macrumors regular

I know Dell is now using a whole lot of junk TN panels, but I just ordered a 22 inch ultrasharp from their refurb section for 179. I was hoping for something with a higher resolution, but get to the next level, at 24 inches, the prices almost triple. Actually, I forgot about the Acers that i was looking at too. You can get the resolution you want at around 350. I just don't like the look of the Acers.

12. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Very true. Some people don't read the posts descriptions... they just blindly recite things they have heard without knowing the facts. Happens quite frequently... LOL

13. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

The HP LP2475W is about $100 above your high end, but I think it's a good monitor. I've been using one for a couple of weeks now, as the 2nd screen for a 17" MBP. I like it.

14. edhayes thread starter macrumors newbie

Is the height adjustable??
    I find lots of monitors do not have hight adjustments and I would like the screens to be lined up.

15. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Sorry to be late in responding.

Yes, it does have height adjustment.

With the monitor vertical (not tilted) it can be moved between 2.75" and and 7" above the desk, relative to the bottom of the monitor itself.

The active area is .75" above that -- in other words, the bezel is .75"

Hope this helps.

16. edhayes thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much.......

17. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Hmm I'm in the same situation.

I'm looking for a monitor for work (typing up stuff, photoshop, video editing), and have about $350 (£270). Not enough for a 24'' but enough for a good 20- 22''.

What would you recommend? It isn't for games! As it's for working, height adjust would be good too.

x RedTomato

18. HBOC macrumors 68020

dell had a 24" 1080P HD monitor for $250, $150 off. it was posted at gizmodo.com a week ago.

19. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I recommend the Dell SP2309W. Do a search for that on these forums. There have been lots of threads about it, and I posted pics of my setup in a couple of them.

20. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

I second the HP LP2475w, although it is quite a bit above your asking price., around $550 to $600. The HP has been regarded as the best 24" monitor in the $600 range, rated higher than the Dell 2408. Just search on most of the photography forums on the net, LP2475w is the monitor that is brought up most often for amateur/semi serious photographers.

I just ordered the LP2475w, cannot wait for it to come! I am also planning on getting a Huey Pro monitor calibrator as well.