What a blow: Salt Lake City Tribune endorses Obama

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AhmedFaisal, Oct 19, 2012.

1. AhmedFaisal, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2013
  2. 184550 Guest

The short version, IMO, if you can't be bothered to read the whole thing:

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

WOW, that is pretty damning.

4. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Salt Lake Tribune is not owned by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) Deseret News is though. Salt Lake Tribune is the most left leaning publication in the Salt Lake valley so no surprise with the endorsement there.

Even with this endorsement, I believe Romney will have a comfortable 30%+ lead in Utah.

5. AhmedFaisal, Oct 19, 2012
  6. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Trust this boy from Salt Lake, The Trib is the most left leaning publication produced in the valley. The other major print is Deseret.

Further on in your wiki article... businessmen led by former LDS Church members William Godbe, Elias L.T. Harrison and Edward W. Tullidge who disagreed with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' economic and political positions. After a year its name was changed to the Salt Lake Daily Tribune and Utah Mining Gazette, but soon after that, the name was shortened to The Salt Lake Tribune.
    In 1873 three Kansas businessmen, Frederic Lockley, George F. Prescott and A.M. Hamilton, purchased the paper and turned the newspaper into an anti-Mormon organ which consistently backed the local Liberal Party. Sometimes vitriolic, the Tribune held particular antipathy for Church President Brigham Young. In the edition announcing Young's death, the Tribune wrote,
    He was illiterate and he has made frequent boast that he never saw the inside of a school house. His habit of mind was singularly illogical and his public addresses the greatest farrago of nonsense that ever was put in print. He prided himself on being a great financer, and yet all of his commercial speculations have been conspicuous failures. He was blarophant, and pretended to be in daily [communion] with the Almighty, and yet he was groveling in his ideas, and the system of religion he formulated was well nigh Satanic. — The Salt Lake Tribune, August 30, 1877

... Really never had anything to do with the Church, as far as any positive connections.

7. Kurwenal macrumors 6502a

Kurwenal

I don't know how you are drawing those conclusions from what you quote, but your conclusions are incorrect. The Trib is the "left" newspaper in SLC, the DNews is the "right."

The Trib endorsed Obama in 2008, and Clinton before that, etc.

8. AhmedFaisal, Oct 19, 2012
  9. Aldaris, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2012

Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Trust me... I live there. I'm not cherry picking by any means.

Contrary to your original post "The Trib" is anything but an official outlet of the Mormon Church, and drawing a conclusion that the spooky Mormon Church is not endorsing their own is laughable.

Full Disclosure The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormon) has had a long standing policy to not make any political affiliations or endorsements.

10. Kurwenal macrumors 6502a

Kurwenal

Let's not be completely wrong either.

Your position is laughable. Really. You should stop.

11. AhmedFaisal, Oct 19, 2012
  12. Aldaris, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2012

Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Kearns was Catholic...

Mr. Vernon R. Alden, from what I can find quickly was born in 1923... Making him 89... I doubt he is in complete control of the company at this point.

And the MediaNews Group owns and operates 50+ individual publications... And I can't find anything right now about being affiliated one way or the other politically, but I'll keep looking.

I'd love to follow your links... I can't find an obvious link between MediaNews Group and your alleged "Alden Global Capital"... Found One!

13. Kurwenal macrumors 6502a

Kurwenal

The truth.

Then we can move on to the fact that you seem to be impressed that the Trib was owned by a Republican senator -- but you fail to note that this Republican senator died, oh, nearly 100 years ago.

Then, we can move on to the fact that the Trib endorsed Obama back in 2008, and Clinton twice before that (it endorsed GWBush for a second term, I don't recall offhand who it endorsed in GWBush's first race).

Then we can keep going with the fact that you obviously have never read either the Trib or the DNews.

And we can go to the fact that there are a lot of liberals, Democrats, and Obama supporters in Utah. You see "Utah" and assume that every Utahn must be a rabid Republican. Not true. And had you spent even five minutes living in SLC you would know that, and know that the Trib is the state's left-leaning paper.

Living your life on Wikipedia can be dangerous......

14. AhmedFaisal, Oct 19, 2012
  15. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Just so you know (and I know nothing about Utah), before the Civil Rights Era of the 1960s, most Republicans weren't as conservative as Democrats. The roles were pretty much reversed, so to say the paper would be conservative because it was linked to a Republican senator who was likely more of a modern day Democrat is just silly. I'd give up on arguing just to argue about this with people who are actually from Utah and would know about this more than you would. Thanks for pointing out the article, though.

16. Kurwenal macrumors 6502a

Kurwenal

You are funny. Really.

So you equate "not anti-Mormon" with "must be a right-leaning newspaper"?

Go back to Wikipedia and look over the history of Utah's governors. You will see names like Matheson, Maw, Blood, Rampton. Psst: they were all Democrats. There have even been Democrats in the senior leadership of the mormon church.

Anyway, back to the point. It is not shocking, and not even surprising, that the Trib endorsed Obama, just like it did four years ago. You do realize, I hope, that Mittens is not from Utah?

17. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Forgive me I read "Really? Owned until 1997 by the family of a Republican Senator Thomas Kearns, a staunch Republican and Mormon"

When I should have read "Really? Owned until 1997 by the family of a Republican Senator Thomas Kearns, a staunch Republican and Mormon supporter at that."

I apologize there.

----------

To conclude and summarize:

... The Salt Lake Tribune is not the official outlet of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormon).

... The Salt Lake Tribune runs against the Deseret News publication, which is a conservative publication. From Wiki "The editorial tone of the Deseret News is usually described as moderate to conservative, and is often assumed to reflect the values of its owner, the LDS Church. For example, the newspaper does not accept advertising that violates church standards."

... And Utah has Mormons, Catholics, Baptists, Muslims, Jews, Atheists, Buddhists, and many many more. Obama supporters, Romney supporters, Ron Paul supporters, and a Gary Johnson supporter too.

18. Kurwenal macrumors 6502a

Kurwenal

I no longer live there, but Salt Lake City is a very nice place and much more progressive, politically, than you would guess. SLC has not elected a Republican mayor since the 70s, and, unlike the state as a whole, mormons are a minority. SLC recently was named the Gayest City in America by the Advocate (I think it was the Advocate, I may have that mixed up). Rocky Anderson, who was elected mayor twice during the Bush era, is very liberal and spent a lot of time campaigning for Bush's impeachment.

No doubt, the mormon church still wields tremendous influence in the city, but it is a much more open, progressive place than most people would guess. And that's why it supports a left-leaning paper like the Trib.

Oh, and it has the best snow on earth. :D

19. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

... I can only add that the Tribune and the Deseret News service the greater Salt Lake Valley, that spans much more than the city. And Yes the City is very liberal, outside in suburbia a little less so - nonetheless it's far from amish country.

20. astrorider macrumors 6502

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Haha! That was a good one. Some wacko orthodox Jewish site endorses Romney. What a surprise. :rolleyes:

Compare that to mainstream press in Salt Lake please.

BTW- get back to me when the Sun Times and the Tribune endorse Romney.

22. astrorider macrumors 6502

I don't see anything "whacko orthodox" about them, not even sure what that means, but whatever. Feel free to resume being "surprised" that the left leaning Salt Lake Tribune endorsed Obama, again.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Look at the link. This is not some mainstream Chicago paper. Jesus Christ- I'm amazed at the absolute stupidity displayed in this forum by you cons.

24. astrorider macrumors 6502

Lighten up bud, they're both silly examples. That's the point.

25. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Meanwhile, Romney has not made a convincing case to at least a couple of newspapers that endorsed Obama in 2008 and continue to do so: The Denver Post and the Tampa Bay Times.

From the former:

And from the latter:

The most consistent theme of the editorials above, one shared by Romney skeptics, is the candidate's magical math. (This, from a businessman.) To be sure, there are newspapers that supported Obama last time which are switching their support to Romney. But given the above you have to ask...why?