Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJosche

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2017
image1.jpeg

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
I had a reserved iPhone less than a minute after I was able to get into the store.

I guess it worked better for some this year.

bigcat

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008
The pre-approval IUP ended up hurting me too. The website came back online for me some four or five minutes before the mobile app; but couldn't use the website since the process had to be finished from the phone itself. The app didn't go live for me until around 3.10 eastern. Got 11/17 - 11/24 dates. Didn't know the pre-approval was going to tie me to the mobile app. Something to think about in the future.

Reactions: tekchic

JonathanK81

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2006
I was in and out within 1 minute. Yes I waited for the apple store to go live, but in and out like a criminal ;)

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I was able to get 2 via the app within a minute. Got one for shipping, one for in-store. Two separate transaction. Both launch day. App is always the fastest way.

jwflutterby

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
It was a joke for me too! I went though the full pre-auth process Wednesday with no issue. I was in the app starting at 2:59 EDT getting the “coming soon” message and also had my computer on Apple.com as a backup... Refreshed both about every 15 seconds. Apple.com came up by maybe 3:06 on my computer but it knew I’d already gone through the pre-auth stuff so it said I had to open the app on my phone to complete the process. I continued to force close and re-open the app on my phone and it didn’t open up till about 3:15... Ship date was 11/17-23, no in store pickup available, I am PISSED! If I hadn’t done the IUP pre-reservation I could have done my order from my Mac and maybe could have gotten it the 3rd!

Reactions: dontworry

rawlus

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2009
Boston
out of all the iphone releases, this is only the second time i got release day status.. so it’s not like i’m a victor, it seems fate was in my side this time. ive ben in the waiting crowd many more times than the launch day crowd. that being said, i would still use the app and the IUP pre approval. just made it. much easier. woke at 2:55am to start opening and closing the app and after getting in at 3:03, hitting the remaining two buttons, waited for my confirmation email 3:06 and went right back to bed. much less effort/stress than the browser method i’ve used in the past. maybe most of it psychological because the pre-work you do in the app for pre-approval makes you think you’re actually “reserving the one you want” way before the store opens (i know that’s not what’s happening, but i think there’s a comfort in doing it anyway)

Speechless

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2015
Non-gentrified Brooklyn.
What's the joke? My pre-order was finished in 30 seconds using said app.

I was in and out within a few minutes. Joke's on you.

Should have used the website. I got in around 3:05 and have a nov 3rd ship date.

I was in and out within 1 minute. Yes I waited for the apple store to go live, but in and out like a criminal ;)

I was able to get 2 via the app within a minute. Got one for shipping, one for in-store. Two separate transaction. Both launch day. App is always the fastest way.

I ordered in literally 30 seconds

tumblr_inline_ophoixZhWL1uto68q_540.jpg

-----

Nothing but errors on my end. Error opening app. Error on carrier page. Error error error. Ordered through the site before getting redirected. Unfortunately, the app screwed me hard this year. Oh well. Still getting an X this year regardless.

jwflutterby

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
The iPhones I’ve purchased since the 3G have *always* been launch day which is partly why I’m so pissed. I’ve done the camp at the store, I’ve done the stalk the website and with the IUP I’ve been able to reserve for launch day in store pickup. I know the drill, I did everything that should have made this easy but the damn system locked me into using the Apple Store app then blocked that for over 15 minutes...

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
App was super fast and amazing. Store went up at 3:04 for me and I got my confirmation email at 3:06.

MorganHiller

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2010
Rancho Mirage
I'm out of the loop a bit - The Apple upgrade/payment plan is only good if I am with a "major" carrier? If I'm using Cricket - I just have to buy and pay in full right?

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
I received my order confirmation email at 12:02am, after taking just about 15 seconds to order the phone. Really wasn't hard...

Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 8.42.18 PM.png

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
The iPhones I’ve purchased since the 3G have *always* been launch day which is partly why I’m so pissed. I’ve done the camp at the store, I’ve done the stalk the website and with the IUP I’ve been able to reserve for launch day in store pickup. I know the drill, I did everything that should have made this easy but the damn system locked me into using the Apple Store app then blocked that for over 15 minutes...
If you've done the camp at the store, can't you do it again? November 3rd hasn't come around yet. You can still get one launch day.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
I had an iPad, and 3 phones ready on the app. The iPad loaded first, then a 6S Plus. Then the 7 Plus.

The 6 Plus took over 15 minutes to load. It stayed on the “we have something...” page the whole time. Even after force closing and reopening.

Really weird.

Lots of errors. Had to manually enter my carrier info. Verizon servers crashed. App crashed. Reservation ticket. Switched to pickup.

Still managed to get 4 for Nov 3. But it was not smooth at all. And I had all my info preloaded. Configuration saved to favorites.

Reactions: dontworry
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.