Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xfs

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
Since we have lost some functionality with the Airs and Retinas (optical drives etc), I would like to know what each of you ordered with your rMBP or MBP Airs. Things like:

What cases?
Cables?
Audio Speakers?
Airport Express/Extreme/Time Machine
What Adaptors?
Mouse/Keyboard/External Display?

Whatever else you can think of.

Thank You.

paulinbognor

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2006
West Sussex, UK
My RMBP is replacing my 1,1 MP so keyboard, mouse and 30" acd will be used with it. I have however picked up the following to work with my incoming 2.6/512/16 RMBP and my 11/i7/128/8 MBA:

M Rain stand - stunning!
LaCie thunderbolt to esata hub
New booq bag to carry both
Thunderbolt to dual dvi cable
Thunderbolt cable

Still on my list are:

Usb3 enclosure for a 256GB SSD
Belkin thunderbolt hub
Joli sleeves for both

xfs

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
My RMBP is replacing my 1,1 MP so keyboard, mouse and 30" acd will be used with it. I have however picked up the following to work with my incoming 2.6/512/16 RMBP and my 11/i7/128/8 MBA:

M Rain stand - stunning!
LaCie thunderbolt to esata hub
New booq bag to carry both
Thunderbolt to dual dvi cable
Thunderbolt cable

Looks like a great setup. Thank you for sharing.

Meever

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
1tb usb3.0 hdd
Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter
Display port to HDMI cable
Best skin ever.... Skin

Fortimir

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
mStand
Picaso Lab leather slip case
SFBags City Slicker bag
Seagate Thunderbolt GoFlex adaptor
Crucial M4 256GB external SSD
Intuos5 small tablet + wireless kit

Already have CF card reader, Sypder3Elite colorimeter, and er... entire desktop setup with keyboard, external display cables, etc. This is a secondary station for me.

Am interested in the JumpBass subwoofer.

Sam2lucky13

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Just got my thunderbolt display today, wireless keyboard and track pad on the way with an mstand. And just added a sleeve/case for rMBP from waterfield designs.

Thats enough money spent by me for awhile.

Last edited:
W

WarrenFields

Only bought a Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter and an Incase Terra Sleeve. Waiting on a hard shell case to finally be released and then I'll snatch one up! I am looking at getting some sort of Thunderbolt drive too. :)

ColoArtist

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2012
Denver, CO
Already have the Time Capsule and external drives (FW 800 though). I like the built in keyboard and trackpad, so no need for any more. The display should be fine by itself for my needs. Already got cables and cases for 15" MBPs.

But for my new rMBP I did get...

Ethernet adapter - for when I visit some of my "hardwired" clients. Also, since the FW 800 adapter isn't available, I figure I'll use ethernet for the Migration Assistant connection.

MagSafe --> MagSafe 2 converters - I got a couple 'cause I got lots of old MBP power adapters around.

Wrapsol - thought I'd try a wrap on this one to see if it makes it easier to hang onto.

:apple:

StuLax18

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
Nothing, but I'm going to call Apple and see if I'll get something for free. Might end up with a small USB 3 external HDD though.

voronoi

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2012
I got an eSATA to USB 3.0 adapter so my old(ish) d2 Quadras don't go to waste on USB 2.0. It was cheaper and more portable than the Thunderbolt to eSATA hub. I'd still like a Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter for daisy chaining. Still on the fence for an ethernet adapter though. I'll wait to see how often I really need it to justify replacing my USB 2.0 to non-gigabit ethernet adapter.

As far as cases go, I got the Kuzy rubberized hard shell from Amazon since their other shells seem to get good enough reviews and they're the only ones with pictures of the actual rMBP shell (as of my last search).

Nutzer

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2012
Because of this post, I got me an mStand and the logitech solar Mac keyboard along with WD 2TB usb3 drive.

Thanks for spending my money. Now I gotta stay in for until my next paycheck.

voronoi

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2012
Which USB to esata adapter did you get? Trying to find one in the uk that supports port multiplication

The one I got was from NewerTech, which does not support port multiplication. If you have an external port multiplier, I think you can use any adapter (not sure on this, just speculating).

section215

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2011
NYC
I ordered a Joli Originals sleeve (shipping tomorrow hopefully) and like many others on here the Thunderbolt/Ethernet adapter.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
MagSafe to MagSafe 2 adapter- if I ever need a second charger, I figure a used MagSafe charger will be much cheaper than a new or used MS2 charger.

Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter for obvious reasons

USB SuperDrive- bought this with my MacBook Air a year ago and it works just fine with the rMBP

Trackpad protector film- bought this with a 15" Pro several years ago and never got around to applying it. Stuck it onto the rMBP's trackpad- it doesn't feel that different and doesn't affect sensitivity so I'll be keeping it on

Case- had a Dell carry bag which I got with my old Alienware, just using that for now, I like it as it's fairly low key

I'm looking for an external USB3.0 hard drive for time machine backups and general storage now.

paulinbognor

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2006
West Sussex, UK
The one I got was from NewerTech, which does not support port multiplication. If you have an external port multiplier, I think you can use any adapter (not sure on this, just speculating).

Yea the port multiplication bit is confusing, many specifically say they don't support it some don't mention it. I know that the MP card AND the enclosures both support it, I'll be able to find out the answer on Tuesday when my MBA arrives. I'm also not sure if using the enclosures RAIDed gets round it rather than JBOD.

The mrain stand is ridiculously good, it sounds silly to be so impressed with a stand but it is just the only stand to get for a MBP.

I gave in and ordered my Joliet MBA sleeve black/green and will probably get the black/blue one for the MBPR

EatMyApple

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
mStand
Picaso Lab leather slip case
SFBags City Slicker bag
Seagate Thunderbolt GoFlex adaptor
Crucial M4 256GB external SSD
Intuos5 small tablet + wireless kit

Already have CF card reader, Sypder3Elite colorimeter, and er... entire desktop setup with keyboard, external display cables, etc. This is a secondary station for me.

Am interested in the JumpBass subwoofer.

Do you have your Picasco Lab case yet? If so, can you please post some pics!

zerotiu

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
I bought
* HandmadeBerlin case from etsy
* BodyGuardz skin
* ShaggyMac protector

fore the future : thunderbolt to ethernet adapter

xfs

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
I bought
* HandmadeBerlin case from etsy
* BodyGuardz skin
* ShaggyMac protector

fore the future : thunderbolt to ethernet adapter

Can you post pictures for HandmadeBerlin? Hows the lining on the cover? How's the fit?

Thanks.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
Ethernet adapter
MagSafe 2 converter
iCarbon skin for scratches.

Already have a Superdrive from a MacBook Air

xsdeus

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
San Diego, CA
1tb usb3.0 hdd
Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter
Display port to HDMI cable
Best skin ever.... Skin

You realize the Retina MacBook Pro is equipped with an HDMI port, right?

----------

I got an Incase terra sleeve and a thunderbolt-to-gigabit ethernet adapter.

zerotiu

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Can you post pictures for HandmadeBerlin? Hows the lining on the cover? How's the fit?

Thanks.

I use my MBP 08 since I haven't got the retina :(. I only need the sleeve for airport check though. It fit snugly but not as snugly as other sleeve. And the material..very very soft and smooth. I personally love it.

MTIW4754.png

MTIW4759.png

MTIW4760.png

MTIW4761.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.