What accessories did you buy with your rMBP or MBP Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xfs, Jul 15, 2012.

1. xfs macrumors member

Since we have lost some functionality with the Airs and Retinas (optical drives etc), I would like to know what each of you ordered with your rMBP or MBP Airs. Things like:

What cases?
    Cables?
    Audio Speakers?
    Airport Express/Extreme/Time Machine
    What Adaptors?
    Mouse/Keyboard/External Display?

Whatever else you can think of.

Thank You.

2. paulinbognor macrumors member

My RMBP is replacing my 1,1 MP so keyboard, mouse and 30" acd will be used with it. I have however picked up the following to work with my incoming 2.6/512/16 RMBP and my 11/i7/128/8 MBA:

M Rain stand - stunning!
    LaCie thunderbolt to esata hub
    New booq bag to carry both
    Thunderbolt to dual dvi cable
    Thunderbolt cable

Still on my list are:

Usb3 enclosure for a 256GB SSD
    Belkin thunderbolt hub
    Joli sleeves for both

3. xfs thread starter macrumors member

Looks like a great setup. Thank you for sharing.

4. Meever macrumors 6502a

1tb usb3.0 hdd
    Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter
    Display port to HDMI cable
    Best skin ever.... Skin

5. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

mStand
    Picaso Lab leather slip case
    SFBags City Slicker bag
    Seagate Thunderbolt GoFlex adaptor
    Crucial M4 256GB external SSD
    Intuos5 small tablet + wireless kit

Already have CF card reader, Sypder3Elite colorimeter, and er... entire desktop setup with keyboard, external display cables, etc. This is a secondary station for me.

Am interested in the JumpBass subwoofer.

6. Sam2lucky13, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012

Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

Just got my thunderbolt display today, wireless keyboard and track pad on the way with an mstand. And just added a sleeve/case for rMBP from waterfield designs.

Thats enough money spent by me for awhile.

7. WarrenFields Guest

Only bought a Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter and an Incase Terra Sleeve. Waiting on a hard shell case to finally be released and then I'll snatch one up! I am looking at getting some sort of Thunderbolt drive too. :)

8. ColoArtist macrumors regular

Already have the Time Capsule and external drives (FW 800 though). I like the built in keyboard and trackpad, so no need for any more. The display should be fine by itself for my needs. Already got cables and cases for 15" MBPs.

But for my new rMBP I did get...

Ethernet adapter - for when I visit some of my "hardwired" clients. Also, since the FW 800 adapter isn't available, I figure I'll use ethernet for the Migration Assistant connection.

MagSafe --> MagSafe 2 converters - I got a couple 'cause I got lots of old MBP power adapters around.

Wrapsol - thought I'd try a wrap on this one to see if it makes it easier to hang onto.

:apple:

9. StuLax18 macrumors 6502

Nothing, but I'm going to call Apple and see if I'll get something for free. Might end up with a small USB 3 external HDD though.

10. voronoi macrumors member

I got an eSATA to USB 3.0 adapter so my old(ish) d2 Quadras don't go to waste on USB 2.0. It was cheaper and more portable than the Thunderbolt to eSATA hub. I'd still like a Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter for daisy chaining. Still on the fence for an ethernet adapter though. I'll wait to see how often I really need it to justify replacing my USB 2.0 to non-gigabit ethernet adapter.

As far as cases go, I got the Kuzy rubberized hard shell from Amazon since their other shells seem to get good enough reviews and they're the only ones with pictures of the actual rMBP shell (as of my last search).

11. paulinbognor macrumors member

Which USB to esata adapter did you get? Trying to find one in the uk that supports port multiplication

12. Nutzer macrumors newbie

Because of this post, I got me an mStand and the logitech solar Mac keyboard along with WD 2TB usb3 drive.

Thanks for spending my money. Now I gotta stay in for until my next paycheck.

13. voronoi macrumors member

The one I got was from NewerTech, which does not support port multiplication. If you have an external port multiplier, I think you can use any adapter (not sure on this, just speculating).

14. section215 macrumors member

section215

I ordered a Joli Originals sleeve (shipping tomorrow hopefully) and like many others on here the Thunderbolt/Ethernet adapter.

15. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

MagSafe to MagSafe 2 adapter- if I ever need a second charger, I figure a used MagSafe charger will be much cheaper than a new or used MS2 charger.

Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter for obvious reasons

USB SuperDrive- bought this with my MacBook Air a year ago and it works just fine with the rMBP

Trackpad protector film- bought this with a 15" Pro several years ago and never got around to applying it. Stuck it onto the rMBP's trackpad- it doesn't feel that different and doesn't affect sensitivity so I'll be keeping it on

Case- had a Dell carry bag which I got with my old Alienware, just using that for now, I like it as it's fairly low key

I'm looking for an external USB3.0 hard drive for time machine backups and general storage now.

16. paulinbognor macrumors member

Yea the port multiplication bit is confusing, many specifically say they don't support it some don't mention it. I know that the MP card AND the enclosures both support it, I'll be able to find out the answer on Tuesday when my MBA arrives. I'm also not sure if using the enclosures RAIDed gets round it rather than JBOD.

The mrain stand is ridiculously good, it sounds silly to be so impressed with a stand but it is just the only stand to get for a MBP.

I gave in and ordered my Joliet MBA sleeve black/green and will probably get the black/blue one for the MBPR

17. EatMyApple macrumors 6502

Do you have your Picasco Lab case yet? If so, can you please post some pics!

18. zerotiu macrumors regular

I bought
    * HandmadeBerlin case from etsy
    * BodyGuardz skin
    * ShaggyMac protector

fore the future : thunderbolt to ethernet adapter

19. xfs thread starter macrumors member

Can you post pictures for HandmadeBerlin? Hows the lining on the cover? How's the fit?

Thanks.

20. noteple macrumors 65816

Ethernet adapter
    MagSafe 2 converter
    iCarbon skin for scratches.

Already have a Superdrive from a MacBook Air

21. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Would you recommend the iCarbon?

22. xsdeus macrumors regular

You realize the Retina MacBook Pro is equipped with an HDMI port, right?

----------

I got an Incase terra sleeve and a thunderbolt-to-gigabit ethernet adapter.

23. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

haha

24. StuMcBill macrumors 6502

25. zerotiu macrumors regular

I use my MBP 08 since I haven't got the retina :(. I only need the sleeve for airport check though. It fit snugly but not as snugly as other sleeve. And the material..very very soft and smooth. I personally love it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]