What accessories should I buy with my new 13" MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MortalDays, May 31, 2010.

1. MortalDays macrumors regular

Hello everyone,

I am planning to buy a 13" MBP base model on this Saturday and would like your advices in choosing what accessories or even mac softwares I should buy with it. (I am brand new to mac; I have been a Windows user for the past 10 years.)

It would be fantastic if you could provide the brands or even links to a list of accessories that I should buy or you bought that you think its a "must buy" to go with the MBP.

So far the things that came across my mind are:

1) Carrying Case - I am going to carry my MBP across my university campus a lot; I am still debating whether to carry as an individual case or inside my backpack. Advice? What brand should I get is best?

2) Screen Cover - Any idea in what brand is best or what store should I buy it from?

3) Sleeve

... etc. (What else should I add to my list?)

Thanks.

2. Ash9414 macrumors 6502

Instead of telling you what I think you should get, I'm going to tell you what I'm getting so you can see if you too need any of these items.

1. Magic Mouse - I will be using my MBP on a desk most of the time so this will come in handy.

2. Incase Neoprene Sleeve Plus - To keep dust off my MBP over night and to protect the laptop when I transport it.

3. Western Digital My Passport for Mac 500GB (or just any external hard drive) - To back up your files and to store other important information.

4. Microsoft Office 2011? - This may come in handy since you are coming from a Windows machine, and I've heard rumours of a new, better Office coming out late this year so I would probably wait until then unless you really need it.

5. iWork 2010/2011 - There may be features on the Apple software that you don't get on the Office software.

6. A Printer - You are able to get a "free" printer with the purchase of every Mac so even if you don't need it, it may be a good idea to get one.

3. chuckflip53 macrumors regular

4. xxwaznxx macrumors newbie

I'll go with the first replier and give you a list of what i've bought for my coming MBP

1. Again the Magic Mouse
    2. Hitachi 500Gb 7200 RPM HD from OWC which also comes with a tool kit and an external enclosure to make my base 320GB HD into a back-up HD
    3. Booq Vyper M3 - seems like a solid case and many people on this forum seem to support this sleeve.

I am also into audio so i've bought
    1. Apple Logic Studio

I am going to college soon and am in need of a backpack
    the two that I'm looking at are the Timbuk2 HAL and the BBP Industries
    Both seems to get good comments on this forum

5. djwobble macrumors regular

I would also recommend the Magic Mouse. :) Makes things nice when you are using the computer for long time and don't want to stick to the trackpad.

I would also get an external HD for backups.

6. MacBOS macrumors 6502

MacBOS

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't think a screen cover is a good idea. It's not as though you touch your screen. I would get a keyboard guard which doubles as a microfiber cloth to clean said screen.

8. calsci macrumors 6502

calsci

A USB hub always comes in handy when you really need 3 ports.

9. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

Don't forget fun extras, like decals. I have my "Snow White's Revenge" decal under my red Speck case, which I really like.

10. MortalDays thread starter macrumors regular

Magic Mouse seems like a very good idea... Although it does costs $69 and I already have a wireless mouse for my desktop... so I still need to think about that... but it is a very great that you guys brought it up, it gives me something to think about.

The Incase sleeve does look very appealing and durable. I will definitely look into that as well.

As for the hard drive, I probably will not need one considering I am planning to store everything on my desktop. I probably won't need 500GB though if I do get one, 250GB maybe?

Microsoft Office for Mac '08 is definitely on my list since a lot of my classes revolves around Word and Excel. I am still anticipating to get the Microsoft Office '11 for Mac... hopefully it comes out soon since I can get for $20 w/ my University discount. At the same time, I will pass on the iWork if I get Office; since they function basically the same.

As for the printer, yup. I am taking advantage of the FREE printer offer w/ Apple. Definitely need one. I am going for the Canon MP 560.

Thanks! I will definitely keep that in mind.

My backpack is also made for a 17" laptop, it maybe too big for 13" but I will double check on that. If I decide to get a new one, I will go to the website and check it out. :) Thanks again!

Ya, I was worried about the same thing... 2 USBs seems like not enough for me. I suppose great mind thinks alike. :) I wonder why wouldn't apple make an extra one... Mmmm...

I probably going to leave the back as is. Since I want the LED Apple logo stand out... haha... Proud to have an Apple logo on the back of the MBP. :apple:

11. jeremy h macrumors 6502

The first, and I mean the very first thing, I'd buy is a back up drive as the others have mentioned. It's like buying insurance - a seemingly wasted expense when you pay for it in the shop - but my goodness - what a fantastic buy it will have been when your internal drive starts making horrible clicking noises hours before a deadline or you realise you left you laptop in a coffee shop with a years work on it!

(Trust me I've been there...)

EDit: Oh sorry, brands - I've found Western Digital pretty good these days - have had a few problems recently with LaCie

12. makinao macrumors regular

13. MortalDays thread starter macrumors regular

After careful consideration of the responses I decided to get the following for sure...

1) Speck Hardshell Clear Case from Bestbuy
    [​IMG]

2) Incase Nylon Sleeve for Macbook from Apple
    [​IMG]

since I will be carrying my MBP around a lot.

Does anybody have any experiences with the Speck Hardshell Clear Case and Incase Nylon Sleeve listed above? Good or bad? :confused:

14. macsr1 macrumors member

I have the speck clear hardshell case and I like it a lot.

15. Paul B macrumors 6502

I own the Incase Nylon Sleeve (with handles) and love it. I say don't bother with the hardcase as it makes the MBP bulky and adds an extra pound, while not providing that much more extra protection.

16. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

Totally agree, just use your laptop without the special plastic condom. They are absolutely unnecessary.

As for a case for carrying your laptop, I'd go for a Be.ez case (I have a tucano second skin, an incase sleeve, and a be.ez sleeve, and the Be.ez is definitely the best)

17. MortalDays thread starter macrumors regular

Do you have a link to the Be.ez case or where I can take a look at it? :rolleyes:

18. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

check them out here and here

They have really excellent memory foam padding that absorbs knocks very well indeed. They also do proper notebook bags.

Again, i'd advise against a speck hardshell case, they are a massive waste of money imo:)

19. MortalDays thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, the Be.ez cases look so colorful! :D