What adapter do I need to hook up a dual monitor to 2011 iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Calbretto, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Calbretto macrumors member

Calbretto

I just ordered my 27" iMac and I want to get things ready for when it arrives. I have a 22" Samsung monitor (VGA and DVI-I ports) that I want to hook up as a secondary monitor but I am not sure what kind of adapter I need to get everything connected.

I've seen the minidisplay port adapters at the store, but I'm not sure if that's what I need. Can those be plugged into the Thunderbolt ports?

If anyone can help me out, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks so much!

2. KylePowers, Jun 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2011

KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Mini DisplayPort to DVI

Mini DisplayPort to VGA

Mini DisplayPort to HDMI

All thunderbolt compatible :)

I ordered the HDMI one in preparation for my 27in arrival... but just now noticed it only supports 1920x1080... and the monitor I'm connecting it to does 1920x1200. Poop.

EDIT: There are also straight-up cords that go from Mini DisplayPort to DVI/VGA/HDMI available, rather than just adapters. Sort of wish I sprung for that... but I guess not tying myself down to a fixed cord (I'm punny!) length has its advantages.

3. Calbretto thread starter macrumors member

Calbretto

Thanks! Those are great prices, and that video was helpful.

Is the new iMac compatible with all monitors or is there a chance that my current one won't work as a secondary display? You mention that it only supports 1900x1080 resolution?

EDIT:
    Just read your addition about the straight connection cords. I found one that I think might work.
    http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=98_106&item_id=027904

4. odolphie macrumors newbie

I can only speak from experience, my 2011 iMac doesn't seem to want to drive my LG external monitor on the VGA adaptor, however it can run my TV at 1080p no problems. Plug the same cable and adaptor into my old 24" and it works fine.