what adapter i should order for my iPhone 5 so it can sit on my iPhone 4 dock ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by animatedude, Sep 12, 2012.

1. troop231 macrumors 603

2. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I don't think this will be strong enough to support your iPhone 5 in the dock. That Adapter is more for third party devices with hard wired 30 pin cables, like some older car stereos.

I don't think we have seen a solution for any type of Dock or Dock adapter.

Same type of thing for speaker docks. The adapters don't seem to support analog audio out (iPod out), so even if the adapter would hold your phone in place, it won't pass audio unless your dock uses the "mass storage" interface and takes over control of your iPhone...

Maybe some of the more expensive speaker docks do that, but the cheaper ones (like clock radios) do not, and I don't think any of the adapters we have seen will work for those.

I think the solution is an adapter which contains a 3.5mm headphone plus in the adapter in order to pickup the audio. The only think I have seen like that is a mock up in this italian blog:

http://www.melablog.it/post/21489/nuovo-iphone-5-con-micro-connettore-dock-a-19-contatti

..and that's not even a real product (kick starter anyone?)

3. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

iPod out is not audio out. iPod out is the control of the iPod song from the steering wheel control found in some later model cars.

4. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I hope that is true! That would make much more sense than dropping Analog Audio out...

I'm still not sure about the physical support of the iPod in a dock with an adapter...

5. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Agreed about the analog audio, but as for the dock controls too, well yeah they are probably the same setup - iPod Out, so maybe that wont work eithor. I guess I'll try next friday and see :)

6. jeblis macrumors regular

Actually I think it's full display export and control to a car (supported by some BMWs). Basic iPod controls should work.