What adapter to hook up my Wii to my LCD Monitor?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by SamIchi, Jun 15, 2009.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I've been looking into this, and my lcd only has VGA, DVI, and HDMI. So should I get a Component to VGA or DVI or HDMI? The few threads I've read about it, talked about DVI adapters being super expensive, but that was a few years back. On ebay they are cheap.

I'm assuming DVI or HDMI will produce the best outcome, but I'm not sure about the upscaling and what not since Wii doesn't have HD? correct? Well either way, I don't have anything else to hook it up to. I'm not buying another monitor, or tv.

So give me the low down on which adapter to buy, thanks!

2. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Assuming your monitor has speakers, if you get a component to HDMI adapter like this one, it will put your video and audio into one cable.

DVI and HDMI should provide the best output, especially since your monitor won't need to do that wacky shift thing all LCDs need to do with a VGA(analog) single.

Make sure to set your resolution to 480p under the Wii settings.

It really depends on your LCD monitor, on how well the Wii will look when upscaled on it. If all works out the colors will hold up nicely and things will be a bit pixely, but it will still look good. I have an older LCD HD TV and my Wii looks bleh on it, as the colors get completely washed out, but on my dead CRT HD the Wii looked great, and the same is true for the plasma I replaced it with.

3. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

They do have speakers but I use my 2.1, which are tons better. That's a little pricier than I wanted, what about the cables on eBay that are component to HDMI?

http://shop.ebay.com/items/__compon...C72%3A1234&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=15&_sc=1

Are these ok?

Are DVI and HDMI about the same? but HDMI includes audio?

Are you talkin about my monitor or the Wii?

Hmm well I just bought this thing, so I'll find out soon enough.

Thanks for the reply!