Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OceanFrog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Hi all ... apologies in advance for the n00b question. I've looked for an answer but I'm still confused.

I'm about to buy the Dell ST2410 24" as an external monitor for my 2009 MacBook Pro 13".

What adapter do I need to connect the MacBook to the monitor?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter

MB572_AV1

or

Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter

MB570_AV1

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
As the monitor has all, HDMI, DVI and VGA, it's your choice. If you want to connect it to TV, then HDMI may be best choice but if not, then I'd buy DVI. The monitor comes with only VGA cable so keep that in mind if you get other than VGA adapter

So HDMI, DVI or VGA adapter, all will work.

OceanFrog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Wow!!! Fast replies ... thanks a lot guys.

So which is better ... Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter or Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter? What is the difference?

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008

So which is better ... Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter or Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter? What is the difference?

DVi should have better picture quality as it is a digital signal vs analog for the VGA.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland

DVI is better. Even though both support that resolution, DVI should look better and at least, be more future proof. Just buy a DVI cable as well if you don't have one as that monitor comes with only VGA

OceanFrog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Thanks again guys ... impressive! I'll go with DVI.

So will any DVI cable do? Are there different DVI cables (male, female, etc) or just one standard?

Also, is there just one type of Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter or a few different types?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Thanks again guys ... impressive! I'll go with DVI.

So will any DVI cable do? Are there different DVI cables (male, female, etc) or just one standard?

Also, is there just one type of Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter or a few different types?

You need a DVI male to DVI female (as always). All MDP to DVI are the same but there are some 3rd party ones for cheaper price but they do the same thing

Z06jerry

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada

OceanFrog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Thanks for all the replies guys.

I've been looking in eBay ... will this work for me? Or is it better to get the two separate adapter/cables as mentioned by posters above?

Thanks again for all the help.

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2009
oo That looks like a nice monitor. Im in the market for one but dont know much about them, this seems like a good deal though. I was hoping to get a 30" but maybe not...

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
You might want to check your monitor's DVI input. I'm pretty sure you need a DVI cable that is male on both ends (that's how it is on my Dell 2405)

One like this should work;

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=1020902&p_id=2407&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

Hmm, I think you're right, my bad :eek:

I've been looking in eBay ... will this work for me? Or is it better to get the two separate adapter/cables as mentioned by posters above?

Yup, it'll work!

Z06jerry

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada

Yes, that should work. The Monoprice version of that cable will make it difficult to plug a usb cable into the usb port located beside the MDP on your MBP, but this one looks small enough in the picture to work. I prefer the single cable option if available. This cable is kind of long though.

OceanFrog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
@ Z06jerry ... "should"???

@ Hellhammer ... thanks for all the help man. Really appreciated.

So I'm right to assume this single cable will work as good as the two separate adapter/cable suggested by posters above? If so, thats some difference in price. The eBay cable will cost me about $10 ... I priced the Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter + the DVI to DVI cable earlier at over $50 !!!

Coldmode

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2010
The only thing to be concerned with is if the Mini DisplayPort side covers the USB port that sits right next to it on the MBP. The quality of the cable doesn't matter because the signal is digital; with VGA the signal is analog so the signal and picture quality varies with the quality of the cable.

OceanFrog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
The only thing to be concerned with is if the Mini DisplayPort side covers the USB port that sits right next to it on the MBP. The quality of the cable doesn't matter because the signal is digital; with VGA the signal is analog so the signal and picture quality varies with the quality of the cable.

How would I find this out?

Which one looks best ... this one, or this one? The connector looks small in the first one. Would that cover the usb port?

Z06jerry

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
@ Z06jerry ... "should"???

OceanFrog, the reason I said "should" (and not will) is because I haven't personally tried the eBay cable that you found. I have tried the similar MDP>DVI cable that is sold by Monoprice and their cable's MDP connector is too wide making it difficult to use the usb port on the 13" MBP at the same time.

Here is a picture of the one that doesn't fit very well and as you can see the MDP connector is bigger than the 2 you linked to on eBay.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=1024604&p_id=5998&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.