What advantages does the AT&T iPad LTE have over the Verizon version?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by anthrovisual, Mar 15, 2012.

1. anthrovisual macrumors regular

From the coverage maps, it looks like both AT&T and Verizon cover my city and places I travel. From there, Verizon has a better $/GB entry plan and offers hotspot capability. Then, there is the possibility that it might work on 3G networks by swapping sims (thus making it more flexible for data here in the States). Not to mention that AT&T might be more greedy than Verizon as a corporation (not sure if Verizon is throttling unlimited users, but Consumerist.com has AT&T in the running for worst company in America every year).

What reason would anyone pick the AT&T version?

2. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

AT&T will fall back to a faster 3G in non LTE areas, than Verizon's 3G data.

3. aphxtwinin macrumors regular

theres a few things, such as falling back on hspa+ on att vs 3G on verizon when LTE is not available. also, att offers access to a lot of hotspots around the country...besides that not much.

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

5. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

Just personal preference. That's about it that I can see at this point, unless you live in an area that has AT&T LTE, and you don't plan on travelling much with it. I'm on AT&T for phone, but I went with the Verizon iPad 4G LTE due to better LTE coverage where i live (not AT&T LTE in Detroit, and no immediate plans from what I can see from AT&T), Free tethering, and I'm hoping that I can put a AT&T sim card into the Verizon model, and get AT&T HSPA+ if I ever want to go back to using AT&T for any (I'll find out tomorrow if it's possible or not).

6. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

Other thing to consider: they offer 3g for $30 vs. VZW's 2g for same price if you think you might use more than 1g. I think I might use it some months. That being said, I am seriously considering exchanging my preordered ATT model for VZW. I don't think I will even use the hotspot feature but a) it pisses me off AT&T isn't offering free tether and b)VZW has more reliable, if somewhat slower, widespread 4G coverage on east coast. I ordered VZW, then cancelled and reordered AT&T before they announced free tether and $20 plan. I hate both carriers anyway.

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

This is why I've decided to go with AT&T this time for the iPad 3 (my iPad 2 is Verizon). Since it'll fall back on the AT&T's faster 3G ("4G", faux-G) network.

My iPhone is on Verizon, however, since where I work there's poor AT&T signal coverage while VZW is solid 5 bars. So if I can't get on AT&T, I can tether my iPad to my iPhone and still get coverage. Best of both worlds.

But it was a tough decision since VZW's LTE footprint is 50x as large as AT&T's.

8. dread macrumors 6502a

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yes, I mean to say 4G. As does AT&T and apparently Apple as well. I don't mean 4G LTE. That's different. Faux G is a term people who just refuse to accept a simple concept.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/214088/itu_softens_on_the_definition_of_4g_mobile.html

"As the most advanced technologies currently defined for global wireless mobile broadband communications, IMT-Advanced is considered as '4G,'" the press release said, "although it is recognized that this term, while undefined, may also be applied to the forerunners of these technologies, LTE and WiMax, and to other evolved 3G technologies providing a substantial level of improvement in performance and capabilities with respect to the initial third generation systems now deployed."

10. pavvento macrumors 6502

I went with AT&T for the following 4 reasons:

1: Non LTE speeds on AT&T are a lot faster than non LTE speeds on Verizon

2: Verizon has had at least 3 LTE outages in the past 4 months

3: AT&T hotspot access is a great way to keep data usage down

4: I see myself using a decent amount of data and would rather have 3GB for $30 as opposed to 2GB at $30 (Verizon's plan)

11. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

I'm in the same boat.

LTE is covered in my area by both carriers.
    It came down to 2 things.

More bang for my LTE buck. The $30/3GB is a nice sweet spot.

I would have thought Verizon would match this by now, but they haven't.

And the fallback speeds, when LTE isn't there or needed is much faster in my area.

Verizon wins with free hotspot but I have that on my phone.

12. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

If you have that on your phone, why even get a 4G ipad? Why not just go with a WiFi and save yourself $129 (not being a smart a$$, just curious). ;)

13. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

Because my phone isn't LTE.

14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

1) Throttling was always in the TOS for the unlimited package. Also they are under zero obligation to allow customers to keep it once they move into a new contract, i.e., upgrade to a new phone. I agree, they handled it awkwardly and haphazardly, but ultimately, they never cut off anyone's service, just slowed it down. Those of us that pay $30 for "unlimited" (reality: 3GB 3G plus unlimited 2G) are still getting a better deal than people paying $30 for 3GBs and done.

2) I agree iPhone should be unlocked after contract is signed, or at least 6 months in to it. However, NO carrier will unlock a subsidized iPhone. This is an Apple restriction, not an ATT one.

3) Do you seriously believe the other iPhone carriers "behave" better? Verizon is more expensive for the same and Sprint offers "unlimited" but has limited places to use it in. I'm not an ATT booster, I think all CellCos are crappy. But let's be fair about it and not pretend one is an angel and the others devils.

15. aperry macrumors 6502a

Hah, that same article goes on to quote experts who believe it's a joke to call it "4G". It is kind of ridiculous that AT&T pressured Apple to change the label.

16. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Got something to back that? I've always understood it to be exactly the opposite. Apple could unlock it if AT&T gave them permission. Other people in other places have reportedly been able to get their carrier to have Apple unlock their devices after completing their contract.

I think everyone is answering this question incorrectly BTW. The OP asked about the AT&T "VERSION" of the iPad, not AT&T as a carrier.

So I'll rephrase the question in the way I'm curious about (and how I understood the OPs question). If I buy the Verizon iPad, place an AT&T SIM in it, will it work on HSPA+? If the answer is no, then I understand the replies. If the answer is yes, then once again, why buy the AT&T version (unless AT&T has LTE in your area and Verizon doesn't).

17. Hammie, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012

Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

For AT&T subscribers:

- You will from 4G LTE to 4G HPSA+ to 3G
    - Have fewer LTE deployed networks (only relevant of you travel outside your area)
    - Have more wi-fi hotspots (important if you are sensitive to your data plan usage)

For Verizon subscribers:

- You will go from 4G LTE to 3G (which happens to be slower than AT&T's 3G service).
    - Have more coverage of LTE (only relevant if you travel outside your area)
    - Tethering services included in data plan cost (no additional fees)

Depending on where you live and your usage behavior, i think you need to make the decision on which one is better for YOU.

In my case, AT&T is the smarter decision, but this is for MY usage. Your will be different. ;)

18. aperry macrumors 6502a

Verizon users also get free tethering. I believe AT&T won't have any tethering at all, at least in the beginning.

----------

There is another thread in this forum where this question is being debated. In short, no one knows yet.

19. iMule macrumors 6502

Verizon's 3G is everywhere. Fall back to AT&T 3G only if you're within a fairly populated area... I'll have to dig up some old speed test screenshots from my VZW iPad 2 and AT&T 4S. There wasn't much difference. I live in Greenville, SC. A 10 mile drive and I'm on AT&T EDGE. People in big cities haven't had to endure torture from AT&T for 4 years.

20. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

21. xyphr3 macrumors member

I chose Verizon because it has free tethering, $20/1gb, I am an iphone customer with my AT&T, so either way, I can get free hotspots no matter where I go. Truthfully in the long run, I wont use my iPad with Verizon but 2-3 months a year when I go to conferences and wifi isn't available. Thankfully both are pay are you go, so whenever I need some "3g, LTE" service, I just push a button and get it.

For me though, since I don't rely on Verizon/AT&T, it really doesn't matter.

22. aka777 macrumors 6502a

Yep, AT&T still does not have network wide 3G.

People are also under the false assumption that all of AT&T's 3G network is HSPA+, which is simply not the case.

AT&T's upload speeds in vast section of their network, including HSPA+ zones, also tend to be capped at ~ 1Mb.

You cannot just look at technical synonyms and assume a network is fast. It has to be enabled end-to-end within the network to work.

I could offer LTE-Advanced 100MB+, but if the backhaul and data network to and from the towers is not there, nobody is going to achieve these speeds.

I find it very disingenuous and cunning that AT&T plays on people's ignorance of the tech like this.

23. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Verizon = LTE in Portland, OR
    AT&T = no LTE in Portland, OR; no commitment on when LTE, no tethering.

Bought the Verizon version (past two iPads were both AT&T versions). Currently in transit for delivery tomorrow. :D

24. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

depends where you live, here in texas, att is much faster 3g wise then verizon.

25. iMule macrumors 6502

Exactly... you're either covered or you're not. Get the AT&T iPad and travel down I-95 from NC to FL. You won't have LTE, you'll have some 3G, and it will be a complete bitch when you're on EDGE for miles. It's real. AT&T sucks balls. They were the only problem with iPhones before other carriers started getting them.