What album do you throw on when you want to relax?

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
Long Island, NY
I have certain go-to albums when I just want to unwind. It's what I love most about music, it can change your mood or tailor to your mood. I have a few depending on what genre I'm feeling, but regardless, all 3 of these just make me relax..

Classics for The Heart - Various Artists
Kind of Blue - Miles Davis
Bach: The Cello Suites - Yo-Yo Ma

How 'bout you?

Ag3nt-Orang3

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2009
The Shepherd's Dog - Iron & Wine

With Blasphemy So Heartfelt - Jessica Lea Mayfield

The Essential Bob Dylan

Yojiirill

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2009
Illinois
Man, that's hard. There's a lot of "soft" music I listen to (particularly by female artists), but normally I get so immersed in the melodies that I do anything but relax :p

Anyway, here are a few for me.

Yellow House-Grizzly Bear
Ghosts I-IV-Nine Inch Nails
Dark Side of the Moon-Pink Floyd
Tarkus-Emerson, Lake and Palmer
Kingdom Hearts Soundtrack-Nobuo Uematsu

spoon man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2007
Jack Johnson-In Between Dreams
Team Sleep-Team Sleep
Alice In Chains - MTV Live and unplugged

AFABS

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2008
Boards of Canada - The Campfire Headphase
Grizzly Bear - Veckatimist
Deerhunter - Cryptograms

jinglejangle

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2009
explosions in the sky
Gifts from enola (FREE DOWNLOAD AT GIMMESOUND.COM OF THEIR NEWEST ALBUM PLEASE HELP SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT THIS WONDERFUL BAND)
Red sparrows
saxon shore
Irepress
and various female indie vocalists

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
Let's see..

Book of Secrets - Loreena McKennitt
Born, Shine, or Explosive - Bond
Snow on the Sahara - Anggun
Seal (Bring it On) - Seal
Behind That Light - Monica Ramos
Moai - Monica Ramos

Moai is great to fall asleep to. Play it at night, and you'll be guaranteed to be lulled to sleep by the end of the 4th track.

BL.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
There are quite a few of the pieces already mentioned that I would endorse warmly; to OrangeCuse44, (and appledyl) agree entirely re Miles Davis and Bach (I saw Marcus Miller play live last week - incredible and brilliant); agree with Yojiirill (and shivermetimbers) re DSOTM, a fantastic album, but most of Pink Floyd (say, the Division Bell, Animals, is well worth a long, slow, eyes-closed listening to, and is amazingly conducive to a cool chilling out.

BertyBoy is spot on with The Marriage of Figaro, simply sublime; actually, anything by Mazart is seriously soothing (yet uplifting at the same time).

For myself, anthing by Mozart but try the Piano Concerto No 21, the Serenade No 10 in B Major, and the Piano Concerto No 20, K 466 for sheer mental bliss.

I also recommend a Portland (Oregon) group called Pink Martini; fantastic, talented, effervescent and simply wonderful. To date, they have issued three albums, - all excellent - but the first of these, Sympathetique, is a masterpiece, one I listen to endlessly and both relaxing and uplifting. Their other albums, Hang On Little Tomato, and Hey Eugene are also worth a listen. I'm sure that others will occur to me and I'll add them as they do.

Cheers, and good luck

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
^^ I agree about Pink Martini; they're perfect for an afternoon at home just bouncing around.

Enya - Shepherd Moons is good.

Danny Elfman's Edward Scissorhands score is also very good for quiet times.

Little HZ

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2008
New Mexico
Cowboy Junkies--Trinity Session
Pat Metheny Group--Travels
Boby Dylan--Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid
Tony Benett
Pink Floyd--Dark Side of the Moon
Rachmaninoff
Chopin

I also have a"Relax" playlist in iPod with about 200 songs from many many sources--everyone from Chet Baker to Jimmy Buffett to Willie Nelson to Cher

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
Its not an album, it is a iTunes radio station. GotRadio - Piano Perfect (under the Ambient header).

I can't have singing of any kind or else my mind will sing along and I can't concentrate. I also have a slight ADD problem and this station helps me concentrate to get stuff done.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Boards of Canada - The Campfire Headphase
I thought I was the only human alive who listened to that. I remember when I heard Adult Swim feature a track on their cards screen I couldn't believe it.

Thanks for reminding me I have that album. :D

ash0man

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2009
I thought I was the only human alive who listened to that. I remember when I heard Adult Swim feature a track on their cards screen I couldn't believe it.

Thanks for reminding me I have that album. :D
I prefer Music Has The Right To Children, but yeah, it's great essay music.