What am I missing: Trying to watch iTunes movie on wifi-only iPad w/o wifi connection

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tribefan, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Tribefan macrumors member

Ok, this is my first iPad. I downloaded a movie on iTunes from my iPad. The movie shows up under the "videos" app and plays fine at home. Took my ipad to work yesterday to watch it during lunch and it wouldn't play (no wifi). To test, I just turned on airplane mode and tried watching the video. Same issue. Why is it that even though I downloaded the movie using my iPad and it shows up on my video list, I can't play it if I have no wifi connection? My music seems to play fine. I'm cornfused.

2. ahdickter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Did you happen to have turned iTunes Match on?

3. rlogan814 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

I could be wrong, but I think it has to do with you purchasing the movie on you iPad. I think it needs to connect to iTunes to confirm the purchase, since it was made remotely. You should just be able to sign in to iTunes on your computer and download it there. Maybe that would help confirm the purchase? Not sure.

4. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Maybe the iTunes DRM requires authentication with a server the first time you play it on each device, and so needs an Internet connection? That would be bad, but not unprecedented. Perhaps if you start the movie on the iPad when you do have an Internet connection it will work without one after that. I'm only speculating though, I haven't tried it yet.

5. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

6. Tribefan thread starter macrumors member

I do indeed have iTunes match turned on. I did start playing it for a couple minutes yesterday before bringing it to work to try to watch it. I can't remember if I tried rebooting it yesterday while I was at work. I know I did last night at home and if it still doesn't work today at lunch time, I'll try rebooting it while here at work. I'll check out that apple forum after work if it still doesn't work today at lunch time. Thanks for the suggestions.