Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seakat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
When I started my data plan with ATT a month ago, I did not buy a phone, opting instead to borrow my friend's old iPhone 3g until the 5s came out. I know I'm paying the phone subsidy by the nature of the contract, and I'm fine with that, but I'm wondering if I have to pay some weird upgrade charge or pay for an unlocked phone right out. Rather, I'm hoping to pay the regular (subsidized) price of the phone as a new user, as I've not yet gotten a new phone.

Has anyone experienced this issue, or know what I'm up against when I purchase the 5s?

mloffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2009
Im not sure if I understand your situation entirely but first, make sure you're eligible for an upgrade. Either contact AT&T or dial *639# and you'll get a text. If it says you're eligible for a full upgrade, you can get the iPhone at standard subsidized pricing (16GB - $199, etc) plus a $36 upgrade fee. Depending on where you buy the phone, that fee normally comes on your bill but I've heard of people paying it at the time of purchase.

swish2351

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
Michigan
When I started my data plan with ATT a month ago, I did not buy a phone, opting instead to borrow my friend's old iPhone 3g until the 5s came out. I know I'm paying the phone subsidy by the nature of the contract, and I'm fine with that, but I'm wondering if I have to pay some weird upgrade charge or pay for an unlocked phone right out. Rather, I'm hoping to pay the regular (subsidized) price of the phone as a new user, as I've not yet gotten a new phone.

Has anyone experienced this issue, or know what I'm up against when I purchase the 5s?

Call AT&T right now and check if you have an upgrade

seakat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Awesome! The *639# solved it. Eligible. Thanks for the advice!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.