What are all the hundreds of pictures that came with my Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Bret27, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Bret27 macrumors member

Hello, there are hundreds of pictures, and what looks to be sound effects (for various applications), in my "Documents". I deleted alot of them. Did that before I found this helpful site.
    And, when I receive a message in Facebook Chat it does not have that 'blip' sound effect anymore. The sound effect setting on Facebook Chat is on too. Thanks

2. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

Is it a new mac?

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

So what is your problem exactly?

What Documents folder are you talking about?

Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Documents or some other folder?

Have you bought the Mac second-hand?

What Mac do you have, what Mac OS X version is on it and what browser (version) are you using?

As far as I know, Facebook Chat is browser based, so it does not need files stored in Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Documents, only in some temporary folder inside the system.

Btw, normally there are no pictures stored in
    Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Documents when you buy a Mac new.

4. Bret27 thread starter macrumors member

Yes I bought it in late January 2010 from Apple.com

5. Bret27 thread starter macrumors member

Well I don't know if it a "problem". I just thought all those pics might be taking up space ya know.

The "All Documents" in the Document folder is where they are all at.

I bought it directly from Apple's site.

They weren't pictures of people, or pics that people took with a camera. They were just dozens of them, hotdogs, ice cream, etc...

It is a Macbook 10.6.2

Thanks

6. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

Yikes.. looks like you deleted lots of files that applications use. That All Documents folder isn't really a folder, it's technically a search result for anything on your computer that is considered a "document" which is... a lot. :(

7. Bret27 thread starter macrumors member

So you know what pics I am talking about?

8. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

A lot of the standard files will have shown up on the All Documents folder. Sounds like you have accidentally deleted a bunch of system files. Try reinstalling your operating system, and don't delete random files which you don't know anything about in future. Could save you a lot of hassle.

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As you can see from the following image, Finder has some shortcuts to searches done on your system.

[​IMG]

All Images
    All Documents
    All Movies

Have you used the All Documents shortcut? http://www.apple.com/macosx/what-is-macosx/dock-and-finder.html

If so, it shows (does a quick search using Spotlight, the indexing feature of Mac OS X) all documents (what Mac OS X classifies as a document, video and image files included) residing on your Mac's HDD and any connected storage device like an external HDD or flash memory stick.

Those results shown there are scattered all over the Mac, so no one can know for sure what it did find on yours. Have you emptied the Trash yet or a Time Machine or other kind of backup?
    If not, you might be able to restore what you deleted.

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.
    http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/ - text
    http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/ - videos
    http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/ - text
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343-keyboard - shortcuts

10. Bret27 thread starter macrumors member

Awright. Do those files take up space? Well, one dude said those arent even files earlier. So just leave em?

"Try reinstalling your operating system"? Does that mean put one of those DVD's in that came with the computer? Do I uninstall anything prior to reinstalling?

11. Bret27 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, all that doesn't really make sense to me...Yes, I always empty my trash.

12. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Every file does take up space, from a mere byte to several GBs.

And whatever "dude" you were talking to, don't ever ask him about computer advice again, as almost everything you see on a computer is a file somewhere.

If you use the Finder, everything you see in the window and having a name like example.txt or example.avi and so on is a file.

And it is not a good thing to use the search function to delete anything, just browse to where the files are and confirm that you don't need them, then delete.

Everything stored in Macintosh HD / System or Macintosh HD / Library or Users / YOU / Library should not be deleted just because it eats up HDD space.

That reminds me of me deleting .dll files in Windows 3 just because I thought I wouldn't need them. Live and learn.

And to install your Mac OS X you don't need to uninstall it first.

As you seem to have Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) the installation process will restore all the system files you have deleted, but make a backup of your files first.

May we know how much computer experience you have?

What does not make sense to you?

13. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Yeah, the Install DVDs that came with your computer. Put them in, start the installer from the disk, follow the instructions. There's no need to do anything other than that. Don't delete anything that you didn't create, and there shouldn't be any problems.

14. Bret27 thread starter macrumors member

Yes I have a OS X 10.6.2./Snow Lep

As far as experience with a Mac, this Macbook is the first I've ever had, and bought it from Apple ini 01/2010.

I can work my way around pretty good on it but still have alot of learning to get done about Mac's.

There are alot of computer terms I dont know about too. So, ya. A newbie.

I've never done a 'shortcut' you mentioned. That didn't make sense to me.

15. Bret27 thread starter macrumors member

thanks bro

16. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Look at the following image.

[​IMG]

On the left side you see the so-called SIDEBAR, a place where you can see connected devices like external HDDs or memory sticks or CD/DVDs.
    Then there are Places, something you can add shortcuts to your folders and files by simply dragging them there.
    Then there is Search For, something Mac OS X has put there to give you search results on whatever you want, like documents or images or ... .

A shortcut is an ALIAS in Mac OS X, and as the name suggests, a shorter way to get to something.

If you have bought your Mac at an Apple Store you have the opportunity to get an introduction into the system if you want.

http://www.apple.com/retail/onetoone/

17. Bret27 thread starter macrumors member

K, thanks. Yes, if I want to search for something then I just type it in the search bar to find it quicker. Got it