What are my chances of buying a new 3Gs frm Rogers that wont be on 3.1.3FM?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Bdubb, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Bdubb macrumors regular

Bdubb

So I did it, I sold my used 3Gs 3.1.2 that I bought about 3 weeks ago for $440, for 500 bucks yesterday, it was a great phone, but the body had quite too much of wear and tear for my taste .

So Now I am eligible for a brand new 3Gs from rogers for $230. My plan is to hassle the Rogers retailer and ask him/her to go through every single 3Gs they have in store and look at the bottom of the boxes for the serial number until she locates one with "XX939XXXX" or lower

What do you guys think? a good plan? prob not eh, I am patient, I can wait till the new JB comes out for the 3.1.3 or 4.0 or whatever.

It's funny but I think I seriously have grown up and out of the JB phase. Don't get me wrong I think all iPhone owners should JB their phone if they can... but at this point in my life, having a proper, easy to use and fun functional 3G phone with a good data plan is pretty much all I need. :apple:

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Honestly, it's a FAIL ! :rolleyes:

I can't imagine any retail store with a 6 month old iPhone sitting around.

But, you already know this, you acknowledge so in your post.

Maybe you might get an old bootrom if you buy a refurb...

As to growing up or out of JB phase... perhaps you were really never in it. Your time here has been a constant barage of daily posts seeking answers for this problem or that. In all honesty, there are just some folks who should not jailbreak. Perhaps you are one of them.

Good luck !

3. ROCKERDAN macrumors regular

i just bought a 939 doing the exact same thing you are.....i went from store to store and got lucky....i broke it no prob too....then it crashed and wouldnt reboot....spent 3 days working on it and reading....ended up having to restore back to 3.1.3 which really sucks.

so im taking it back to see if they have another older one there...lol

32gb dont sell as fast,and white seem to have more around.....so try that!

ill let you know tomorrow how i makeout...small towns also work better then big city like toronto

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Down the road even the late iboot 3GS models will most likelly have an untethered JB.
    Gotta sit back and wait for the next JB for the 3GS. Sooner or later will be here.

5. Bdubb thread starter macrumors regular

Bdubb

Sorry maybe I didn't really get into details of my life with Iphone(s) or maybe with all the "barrage of annoying questions" you missed the one or two of my posts mentioning about my "Old beloved iPhone 2G"

It will be silly for anyone with only three weeks of experience with Jailbreaking give their thoughts on jailbreaking let alone say "they grew out of it" it's even sillier for someone to "buy" that idea and make a comment on it! sheesh!.:rolleyes:

I live in Canada and always have, Canada never saw the first gen iPhone 2G, first time the 3G iPhones came to Canada was in July of 2008? I believe?? I didn't pay much attention, becasue I already owned an iPhone 2G back in September of 2007 which I finally managed to unlocked with SIM card manipulation (Turbo SIM etc.) "piggybacking" etc. I had my first Unlocked iPhone back in firmware 1.1.1 -1.1.2 days, and yes, I was very familiar with "Installer" I almost knew every single source that was on it...When Cydia finally showed up I was like "WTF is this?!!..I don't trust this new jailbreaking apps/ methods..I want my Installer back"

Anyway the point I am trying to make here dude is... You shouldn't be too harsh on people that you don't care to know or not seem to know much about. It just makes you look plain stupid, negative and rude. Sorry if I am making such an aggressive pass at you by those comments, but the only reason I am saying that about you is because your attitude does not particularly reflect the majority of the other great, kind, and generous experts who frequent these forums. I am sure we both know who those people are those guys who are so good at communicating and answering people's sincere but maybe(to you) "stupid" questions with great patience and kindness.

They are basically sharing their knowledge and expertise with "noobs" without passing judgment on them.

Now I am no hacker, programmer or coder by any means; My profession is in a different field, but I've been casually following the hacking scene and jailbreaking and unlocking my 2G iphone to Rogers with every single Apple firmware update since October of 2007.
    Honestly I've never had major problems with my 2G iphone from late 2007 until mid March of this year when I accidentally dropped my phone and broke it. (from 1.1.1 to 3.1.3)

I had to finally upgrade to a 3Gs and I am sure you will agree with me the 3gs iPhone is totally a different beast from a (somewhat neglected by Apple) 2G. 3Gs definitely has more higher level of security features, etc. etc. So hence my constant presence and "The barrage of annoying posts/questions" on these forums in the past 3 weeks. The only reason I bought and sold a second hand 3GS within 3 weeks is because it didn't make sense to me economically to hold on to it. It was either pay extra 220 bucks to have a second hand jailbroken iPhone that has about 5 months of warranty left and has been abused and used by someone else. or put that 220 bucks back in my pocket and go buy a shiny new 3Gs for half the price that can't be J'B (just yet)...it was a time sensitive issue, I had to make a decision quick,

I appreciate your opinion and advice, but I think I already came to a conclusion earlier that you don't care to know much about my situation to give me any advice or have an opinion.

Anyway, I am very happy that I owned and managed to safely update and jailbreak that 3Gs in the last three weeks, I learned a great deal about the technicalities of jailbreaking the 3Gs in such a short time ! Mostly thanks to TheLatinist and other great experts on these forums such as yourself.

I am patient and I know I made a good choice, with the extra 60 bucks I made on reselling my JB 3.1.2 3Gs I am going to take ROCKERDAN's advice and look for a white 32GB 3Gs in my small town Southern Ontario Rogers Stores and see if I can find a pre XX940XXX.... week model.

Thanks for your Good Luck wishes, I'll let you know how I do, either way I am happy :)

Peace:apple:

6. mreddys10 macrumors regular

You mean Windsor?

7. Bdubb thread starter macrumors regular

Bdubb

Neh Windsor is too big of a town to call it a "Small Town Southern Ontario" You have three more guesses left :p

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I don't think my post was harsh at all. Not a mean, evil or angry word in it.

Everyone here tried over and over to help you, just didn't work out for you.

Again, good luck whatever your decision.

9. mreddys10 macrumors regular

Well, if you can drive down to windsor, the T Booth store at the mall has some old stock I think. I picked up my 3GS with the old bootrom there in Feb. It was by luck too, I dint ask them to check the serial number either. It's worth a shot I guess.

10. Bdubb thread starter macrumors regular

Bdubb

Well it did work out for me but it also didn't I guess, depends on your perspective: What really screwed me is Rogers and their Evil 3 year term plans and how they suck you in, If I chose to keep my privately purchased second hand 3.1.2 3Gs and stuck to a reasonable month to month plan, I would have been happy, but the most reasonable plan I found with Rogers was costing me around 54 bucks a month and it was pretty bare bones...(it had no Long distance plan and no data!) and for extra 15 bucks a month I am getting 1000 long distance minutes and 2GB of data. I don't know about you but that's pretty huge deal for me, (especially when I do internet tethering with my laptop) but the only catch with that plan is if I signed my soul away to them for 3 years... I took it!
    They also offered me a new 3Gs 16GB for 200 plus tax. I will take that too I guess, hence why there's no need for me to hold on to the 3Gs I just bought for 440 bucks.

Things should turn out well I hope... And no...

you're not evil or maybe not even mean, but you seem to hackle me a lot around here which in result makes you sound harsh!! if I was a serious douche with no direction and asking million questions per second I would understand that, but I think most of my questions have been reasonable with a purpose: And above all I've gotten answers and results for everything I've asked for. and come to think of it, you are not "wrong" for what you are doing, I guess you do need some sort of an iron fist to run these forums and keep things in control, I'm sure if you and most regulars here were too soft, things can get chaotic.

Do what you're doing just stop being a pain in my A$$.. haha I keed I keed.:D:p

11. Bdubb thread starter macrumors regular

Bdubb

Hmm I'm actually about 3 hours North of Windsor, Is T-Booth associated with Rogers? Because I can only get the discount on my phone through Rogers b/c of me signing up for 3 years.

I live in the Tri-City area I have access to about 7-8 Rogers Mobile Stores within 30 Square kilometer vicinity in 3 different towns: I doubt I want to go and visit all those stores :p But I will start somewhere.

You getting an old bootrom just out of chance as recent as this Feb. sure sounds pretty encouraging. So I'll see how I do, if I find a cache of old bootrom 3Gs hidden deep in a certain Rogers store in my area I will let you guys know ;)

12. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

If you honestly think I was mean to you must be really thin skinned (yes, the meanest thing I have typed by far).

In 1 post I inquired why it was necessary to start a half a dozen overlapping threads on the same day about essentially the same issue, jailbreaking you new phone

Then the previous comment.

Add to that all the replies I posted trying to assist you. Yep, I'm very nasty.

Done here!

13. Bdubb thread starter macrumors regular

Bdubb

Ok I got some semi-good news, I went to my local (nearest) Rogers Store, the guy there was very helpful... and he helped me look for 3Gs'

Sure enough, I found one dating XX938XXX....!!
    Bad news it's white and it's 32 GB (least sold model)

and he tallied up the total and it came around 470 bucks!!! and that's after getting my "discount" from Rogers! didn't know there was a 35 dollar activation fee there somewhere. Yeah that price didn't sit well with me, nor do I ever find the need for a 32Gb iphone (I managed to do just fine with a 8Gb for almost three years)

I told him to hold off on that for now. Since it's Easter weekend and I need to be with my family.

I am gonna hold off on the hunt until Mon-Tuesday.

Happy Easter Everyone!
    () ()
    .:p

14. oren1 macrumors member

Just a suggestion, what about using Fring (or even better skype on 3g if you can really get a jailbreakable phone) to make your outgoing calls?

I use Fido (yeah... Rogers), pay $55 a month including a 6GB data plan and get unlimited calls ($3/month for Skype) to Canada and US

Anyway, good luck.

15. Bdubb thread starter macrumors regular

Bdubb

Yeah regardless it's too late for me, I am stuck with the three year plan.

Just curios, how did you get a phone +6GB data plan for just $55? this must have been a while back when they had that temporary $30 for 6Gb data right? It's costing me around 35 bucks just for 2Gb and they keep telling me I am getting a special "returning customer" deal.

please don't tell me you got the 55 dollar deal for 6Gb of data and phone from Fido just recently?

16. oren1 macrumors member

Ohh, sorry for the confusion.
    I got the 6GB data plan for $30 a month. It was a promotion when the iPhone 3G was launched.
    You cannot get this plan anymore (screw Rogers/Fido!)

I pay $55 voice and data.

Try to threat them that you will transfer your line to wind, maybe you will have some luck...

Just for your information, I never exceed 1.5GB in a month even with Skype+3G Unrestrictor.

17. Bdubb thread starter macrumors regular

Bdubb

Ok so it looks like the only, (after calling literally 12 stores: Rogers and other electronic stores) I could only find the 32Gb White iPhone 3Gs with the older bootrom, xx93xxx...serial number...

It gonna cost me actually around 377.50 after Canadian taxes and activation fees to buy that White 32Gb 3Gs.

either I can do that and bring it home and jailbreak it right away and enjoy it or... for $264.42 (taxes and activation included) I can buy a new bootrom 16Gb iPhone 3GS (black color of my choice) and cross my fingers and wait for the jailbreak sometime "soon"!?? ( Unlock is not needed).

First: THE CONS of Purchasing this White 32 GB:

16 Gigs of storage is more than enough for me on an iPhone , considering it is going to be plugged to my computer on daily basis.

Not sure about the color White, also it's clear that this particular combination of size and color (white, 32 GB) is by far the least selling iPhone in retail stores. I guess majority prefers the black color and just like me , majority does not find the need for 32 GB of storage and probably cannot justify paying extra 100 dollars for it.

Also, It will probably take iTunes longer to back up my 20-30Gb iPhone files every time it syncs .

I will probably have hard time selling this phone for a decent price down the road, since its Sale value is low, it's resale value might be even lower. and the lose-lose situation is: I am paying extra 100 dollars now , only to not really benefit from it during my use of the phone and later if I chose to sell it.

It is 100 dollars more.

OK now lets look at the PROS:

White cannot be that bad, it might be cooler to have the "other" color and stand out that way. Plus I have a black silicon protector case, which can disguise the White color. and really wouldn't matter what color the phone is if the body is always going to be covered.

it's got extra 16 GB. the obvious benefits of having more storage space.

And of course the Best reason by far, I can jailbreak it right our of the box and enjoy the freedom and the comfort of a jailbroken phone without looking at the clock and impatiently sitting and waiting for the uncertain 3.1.3 jailbreak date to arrive.

What is your thoughts guys? I am running out of time and patience, shall I just spend the extra 100 bucks and buy this White 32 Gb and be happy I can jailbreak it. or buy the the one I want (black, 16Gb) for $100 less and just use it as is, hold my horses and wait for the...(inevitable) jailbreak to arrive someday...soon...

Wish I could use the word "inevitable" confidently in that sentence.

Please give me your two cents on this... My (not so strong) preference is the black, 16 Gb, just so you know.
    If you also have a third alternative to this two options please let me know.

18. dacapo macrumors 6502

That's exactly what I did! (Even scanned the serial # on the back of the box before buying to make sure.)

19. Bdubb thread starter macrumors regular

Bdubb

I literally went to 10 Electronic/Mobile/Rogers stores and called about 12 more stores, all of them flipped over there boxes of 3Gs to look under for the xx93xxxx Serial number.

I found 3 White 32GB 3Gs with the xx93xxx, and one Black 3Gs that's 32GB...I just said f'it and went with the Black 32GB 3Gs, yes it's true: (costing at least $100 more) There are lot more dustier, unsold 32Gb 3Gs' out there with the old bootrom, and no 16GB with xx93xxx...Serial.

I swear I turned over about 80 iphones in Three different towns, and couldn't find a (White or Black) 16Gb 3Gs that has the old xx93xxx... serial.

20. Bdubb thread starter macrumors regular

Bdubb

Thanks man...hehe it was quite the "hunt"... saw a lotta interesting facial expressions from the store clerks, when I told them "I want an iPhone 3Gs 16 Gig with the third number on the serial being a 9 and fourth being a 3! see what you can dig out for me! No don't ask any questions, just go and find me the damn phone!!" :p

All jokes aside they were actually finding it hilarious and fun, they seemed to be entertained by my strange and specific request, (at least the cute ladies were :cool:) it was almost like a scavenger hunt for them.:

21. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I wonder if I can pull off something similar for a replacement iphone, I'd love to have an old bootrom phone again. My current replacement is conveniently acting up too

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    I cant imagine the looks you got.
    I wonder if they knew the reason behind it or they just went for it.
    Did you pull that at Apple stores also or just at Rogers?
    Noone told you to take a hike?

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

In the near future we probably wont have to worry about tethered JB's for the 3GS so even though its good to have now it might not even matter down the road :)

24. Bdubb thread starter macrumors regular

Bdubb

Hmm I don't know how to answer any of your questions without risking the chance of sounding racist, sexist or stereotyping people. :(

I'll take a shot at it...

There are no Apple stores anywhere near where I live, even if there was I wouldn't dare...

I visited about 11 stores all together...

2 Future Shops (Subsidiary of Best Buy, equivalent of Fry's in the U.S. I guess!?)
    1 Best Buy
    4 Rogers Plus Stores (Equivalent of AT&T Stores in the U.S.)
    2 T-booth Stores and...
    2 Wireless Wave Stores (both are third-party mobile phone stores that support all major Carriers in Canada)

The ladies were the nicest and gave me the least of trouble without even asking any questions.

Most of the guys (98%) of them were nice too, but they did want to know "Why?" and did get an answer from me without even being too interrogatory.

Out of the 11 stores only one store refused to go check the serials for me and lets just say the guy was a young, trendy, "hip" super spikey, geld hair, maybe even a little cocky dude.
    he definitely looked like the type that would know how to unlock and jailbreak an iPhone... and didn't like the idea of a guy like me requesting something without giving him too much info. even after I came clean and ask him exactly why I need it for; he just convinced me that they wont have a phone with those serials..so to his defense: he could have just been telling the truth.

So I finally found my Black 32Gb 3Gs at the second T-booth store I went to: The first T-booth store I visited was the one I explained in the above paragraph (the Snobby guy)

The second T-Booth store's retailer looked like the twin brother of the guy from the first store, his spiked hair even had a higher vertical than him, very same style...ironically he was the nicest and most helpful guy, the guy went to the back of the store and pulled out a step ladder, dusted off and lifted a few heavy boxes off the shelf and looked through 3Gs' until he found me the Black 32Gb.

Moral of the lesson: Don't stereotype people because of their fashion and style!