What are my chances of finding my lost iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ohy3000, Apr 8, 2011.

1. ohy3000 macrumors newbie

Lost my iphone 3gs....:mad: i foolishly removed the lock screen for a friend to use and i didnt install findmyiphone.. :(

1)will i be able to locate it if it gets erased of all content/restored to factory settings?

2)is there any other way to locate it?

2. iMattcotv macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I know I'm digging myself a hole by answering this..

If they pull the Sim and restore it, it's gone forever.

3. ohy3000 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. ohy3000, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011

ohy3000 thread starter macrumors newbie

not even by wifi?

"I'm sorry for the double post I cant find out how to delete it. i'm kinda on edge"

5. iMattcotv macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The sim is what gives you a remote chance of tracking the person, if it's pulled, that's gone.

WiFi would work, as long as the person didn't restore. If the person did, no location data or services would be set up, you would have absolutely no way of tracking him.

I know man, it really sucks. My little bro had his jacked right out of his hands and I tried everything in my power. I made a police report and tried to use find my iPhone and everything. If the thief restores it and takes out the sim, it's basically an entirely new iPhone.

The only thing you can do is if you lost it in a store or school, have them dig into the video logs and try to find out who it was.

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

100% gone. Since you did not put the pass code on it, the thief doesn't even need to restore it with Itune.

7. ohy3000 thread starter macrumors newbie

last question, since i'm still searching for some odd reason. the imei, does it have any effect at all? if its not changed as i see can happen what can i do about that?

8. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

You can report to your official carrier where you buy the Iphone from, they might black list this IMEI so if the thief try to use it on that carrier, he/she can't. If the thief somehow unlock it and use on other carrier, you are SOL.

9. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Nothing OP can do right now. The phone did not have Mobileme or find my Iphone on it. How can wifi connection track it down? :)

10. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

WiFi would have worked for FMI had that been installed/activated even with the SIM pulled. Little to no chance of OP ever seeing his phone again i think.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nothing you can do to track it. No wifi, imei or anything since you didn't install find my iPhone. Only way is if they try to return it or answer when you call it and agree to give it back.

12. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

And why was Find My iPhone not installed? I keep hearing this same story over and over again.
    A friend of mine just lost his iPhone in the library. He had installed FMI as soon as it became a free service. He tracked the phone down and had it back in hand within hours.

13. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I thought US carriers don't do anything like that. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The carriers can put the number on a list (for say, when law enforcement asks for it), but they can't do anything proactive like shut off its connection from the network.

14. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Find my phone is not free for the 3GS. :(

15. iFiend macrumors 65816

You are correct, but where did the OP say he was American?

16. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

17. zanzi macrumors newbie

18. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yep, sorry OP but you are basically SOL.

Don't forget to change passwords of anything you regularly access from your iPhone.

20. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

Am I missing something here?

Find My iPhone is a free app but it requires MobileMe right? MobileMe costs $99 a year after the 2 month trial?

So technically its not free?

21. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

No.
    You'll figure it out when you sign up. Your MobileMe account is basically your iTunes account. When you set it up under your iPhone, it detects the features of that account being just FindmyiPhone. If you actually pay, I assume other features like mail and calendar will show up too

22. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

So I signed up for MobileMe and got a @me.com account. The Find My iPhone thing works fine. If I cancel MobileMe now what happens?

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its not a @me.com account.
    You just create a free mobile me account using your itunes Apple ID and password and that only works for the find my iphone app. You dont get any other mobileme acess and you never have to cancel or get charged anything.
    Follow this:
    http://www.apple.com/iphone/find-my-iphone-setup/