What are my chances of picking up an iPhone 5 in stores Friday?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by T8TRG8TR, Sep 19, 2012.

1. T8TRG8TR macrumors newbie

I was slow on deciding whether I wanted the iPhone 5 so I didn't get around to preordering it, and I don't want to wait until October to get it. I have classes until 3ish Friday so is there any way I could find one? I live in the Raleigh (NC) area so there are lots of Radioshacks/Best Buys/Walmarts.

2. MastahRiz macrumors 6502

Depends on what everyone else is like. Do people camp out at stores there? If so I'd say you're prob screwed, unless they have a massive supply. I know for the iPad 3 they had so much stock in the NYC store that you could just walk in and buy it for days and days after launch. The phones are a different story but you might as well try for it.

3. T8TRG8TR thread starter macrumors newbie

What if I check my local verizon store at 8 or 9?

4. wellok macrumors 6502

It'll probably still be dealing with the people who waited before opening and make you late if they have any.

5. Cnthinkoname macrumors newbie

Well considering no one likes NC State Engineering students I'd say you're busted like a squeaking fat rat!

6. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Last year the Apple store here got shipments in the afternoon as well as the initial batch in the morning and had plenty in the evening. I have no idea if it will be like that this year, but in recent years Apple has had massive supply in the first weekend.

7. dnelms macrumors regular

dnelms

I contacted a Verizon store in a town outside of Raleigh and was told I'd be about a 50/50 chance as they did not know how many they were getting vs. how many people may show up Friday morning. Given that, plus having to work on Friday I went with their suggestion to pre-order. Even ordering thru Verizon at 7pm on Friday (14th) I still got pushed out to a delivery of Sep. 28. Hoping for an earlier, but not optimistic. I would tell you to try the Verizon stores in Raleigh, instead of the Apple store at Crabtree. On the 4s launch, local TV showed lines outside the mall that were very long. Good luck.

8. aohus macrumors 68000

too late. no chance.

you're not in line right now. :p

9. T8TRG8TR thread starter macrumors newbie

There's a tiny Verizon store in Cary (my hometown, like 20 minutes out of Raleigh) that I'm going to get my mom to check out that morning. My preorder date was October 5 which sucks :(

10. MR1324 macrumors 6502

i think your best shot is lining up early at an apple store. they will have the most # of units but also the longest lines. if i remember correctly, just about everyone that lined up early for the iphone 4s were able to get a unit.

11. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

12. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Apple stores seem to have the longest lines.

Still, hard to base anything on last year. Way more people did preorder this year than last, and of course will not be standing in line this time.

13. rsnc macrumors regular

ill probably go to crabtree around 2-3am and get in line..

i have a preorder at radioshack for a 16...(all they could get in white)..but i am waiting in line to get a white 32 or 64
    i imagine that they will have PLENTY of stock..and even though the lines will be long..i think most people will go home with a phone

(i could easily be wrong)

14. saud0488 macrumors 6502

at 3 PM it may be tough but who knows. iPad 3 was supposed to be sold out everywhere as well, remember?

15. bidwalj macrumors 65816

If stock is as tight as everyone has been saying (look at the ship times now) I would go to an apple store and go earlier than you would like to.

16. rsnc macrumors regular

i just feel like every year apple has been increasing their production by huge amounts...they have enough that they are willing to release the 5 in more countries on the first week than ever before...then a week later a bunch more countries..

i have a feeling that stock will be plentiful..apple wants to make as many as they can sell..and they know this is going to be a great seller

17. MR1324 macrumors 6502

tim cook did say this would be the fastest roll-out ever.

18. PurplePanda56 macrumors newbie

There probably isn't going to be the best chance, but theres no harm in calling around and seeing whats up. Some stores might have had less people show up or more stock shipped to them, you never know.

19. sol123 macrumors member

i dont know the ins and outs of north carolina but i do know in brooklyn ny thwe best bet is going to a authorized reseller not an apple or at and t or verizon store but a reseller ask them if they are taking names and making a list

good luck