what are my options if the Macbook is too slow and the new Macbook Pro too heavy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by SarahKirschbaum, Feb 28, 2017.

1. SarahKirschbaum macrumors regular

I'm still using my Macbook Air 11.6 (i5, 256gb ssd, purchased at end of 2014)

I want something with a Retina screen.. the only thing I don't like is my MBA's screen.

A couple of weeks ago, I bought the Macbook and I gave it a thorough workout, performing all the tasks that I frequently do on my MBA. Light video editing, audio encoding, photo processing, etc.... The Macbook always felt slower than my old 2014 MBA. Also, I couldn't get used to the keyboard(but that's probably because I am a very fast at typing) I ended up returning it.

While at Best Buy, I played with the new Macbook Pro(without touchpad). It was noticeably faster than my MBA. Unfortunately... since I already felt my MBA 11.6 was a tad too heavy for my taste, I couldn't bring myself to buy the new Macbook Pro.

The feet away, there were so many awesome laptops that fit my requirements, but they are all running Windwos 10, which I .... well, can't use curse words here, can I? :)

So what are my options.... :(

2. kohlson macrumors 6502a

Wait a few weeks - there rumor mill is heating up for the Spring announcements, which may include an update to the MacBook.

3. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

As far as I'm aware you've kinda already listed them. MacBook, MacBook Pro or Windows/Linux. Or perchance a hack-box, but they're usually more painful to get working as laptops.

Now - the MacBook will be slower during Multi-threaded tasks, but faster in single-threaded tasks. It's got the advantage of screen, speakers, weight, and efficiency over your Air. I'm sure you'd get used to the keyboard eventually, even as a fast typer.
    The new MacBook Pro is significantly lighter than its predecessor and a good bit faster than your Air. The screen is impeccable in all areas from pixel density to contrast and colours and is even capable of the P3 colour space. It's got loads better speakers too, and whilst closer to the MacBook Keyboard, also has greater key travel and tactile feedback, which would make it more pleasant to type on for longer sessions. I personally carry a 15" 2014 MacBook Pro with me, and don't really find it very heavy or bothersome at all, but to each their own. I do however recommend the MacBook Pro for the needs you outline.

One thing you might want to consider with the MacBook however, is that if you keep the exterior casing under very cool conditions, it'll actually be able to sustain its turbo speeds way longer under multi-threaded work loads, and get a good bit faster. Now, the CPU in it is made to clock down when heavy duty operations happen, but given sufficient cooling, the MacBook will allow it to run faster.

4. SarahKirschbaum thread starter macrumors regular

I noticed that you are from Denmark. Perhaps I should move back to Stockholm... definitely can keep the Macbook much cooler than here in the U.S. (where it's currently 83 degrees, or about 28 Celcium !!!) My car sat in the sun all day and I nearly burned my hand when I got in and grabbed the wood steering wheel this afternoon. :(

5. Johnny365 macrumors regular

Johnny365

Yeah, but the problem with keeping the outer casing cool (like a heatsink) is that then you have to change up your productivity to get around the throttling that is going on.

6. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

You can load OS X onto a dell or whatever you want. I wouldn't. But its really not that hard.

7. Pugly macrumors regular

I'm curious about what future models of the MacBook will have in performance. The jump from 2015 to 2016 models was significant. And the m7 is close and/or beats the i7 MBA... at least in benchmarks. Who knows what sustained work would do to that.

It looks like the MacBook is it for the super portable mac line... which is unfortunate because I want a computer in the 11.6 footprint to get as ridiculously powerful as they can make it.

It's probably a good idea to wait a little bit for the MacBook update and the MacBook Pro update. I think one of these is due for a price drop. Apple keeping the $999 MBA around and not just removing the line entirely means they still have some desire to keep a more middle of the road option around.

8. Michael Scrip macrumors 601

Damn... 3lbs too heavy?

I dunno man... it's either weight or power.

Pick one :D

9. SarahKirschbaum thread starter macrumors regular

heavier than my existing MBA.... :(

I think the solution is for Apple to put a more powerful processor
    in the Macbook. Nothing fancy, just something that's on par with
    my MBA(late 2014). :)

10. Michael Scrip macrumors 601

Just curious... which processor is in your 2014 MBA ?

11. SarahKirschbaum thread starter macrumors regular

I remembered wrong. The spec is actually only
    1.3 GHz Dual-Core 4th-Gen Intel Core i5 Processor
    (Turbo Boost up to 2.6 GHz ) :(

12. Michael Scrip, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017

Michael Scrip macrumors 601

According to PassMark benchmark... the current MacBook's m7 processor has a similar score as your old MBA i5

But I guess that's only true on paper since you said the MacBook feels slower.

You've seen the motherboard inside the MacBook... it's tiny! There must be lots of tradeoffs for heat and battery life.

I guess it's gonna be a while until you can get the lightness of your old MBA with the power of your old MBA.

13. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

As someone else said, I'm guessing another 1 to 2 generations.
    With a makeshift form of water cooling (not a proper water-cooled setup, but you know) The MacBook's scores improved, I believe it was around 33% in multi-threaded tasks.

14. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

The 11" Air is too heavy for your taste? Wow!