What are my options to activate my 8 Plus without wifi at home?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by edlex, Sep 23, 2017.

1. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

Just got my new 8+ yesterday, but ever since hurricane Irma came through South Florida 2 weeks ago, I don't have internet service. What are my options? I've always done my encrypted backups on iTunes but since before the storm, neither my MBP or my 7+ has been updated. Will Apple let me walk into a store and use their wifi to update everything and activate my 8+? Can I activate my 8+ now using cell data and backup to iTunes later when I finally get wifi back at home? Meanwhile I'm staring at a beautiful sealed black 8+ box and I don't know what to do. What are my options?

2. Cascades42 macrumors 6502

I've never had a problem using store wifi to do updates, so I'm sure they'd let you activate your phone. The only thing is if you're taking it in in the box I'd take the delivery page (either the packing slip or similar) with you, just in case ;)

3. edlex thread starter macrumors 68000

edlex

Yeah, last thing I need is to be arrested for shoplifting my own phone!
    --- Post Merged, Sep 23, 2017 ---
    Oh I forgot to ask you, do I have to make an appointment or can I just walk in with my MBP, 7+ and 8+?

4. Cascades42 macrumors 6502

I've never made an appointment, though I've tried to go when they'd be less busy. The question is what do you need your MBP for? :)

5. RhysoTDI macrumors member

RhysoTDI

I spent longer in the store yesterday migrating everything over than I did buying the phone :D

6. alejovh101 macrumors newbie

7. edlex thread starter macrumors 68000

edlex

It has my encrypted backup on iTunes for my 7+. I need to update the MBP to the new os, then update and backup the 7+ and then finally activate and backup the 8+ with all my encrypted information. I hope my Apple Store is very patient with me. I'll try to go on Monday right when they open. 2 more days of staring at my beautiful black box.

8. Cascades42 macrumors 6502

The new macOS isn't out until Monday.

9. edlex thread starter macrumors 68000

edlex

Oh good then that's one less step. This hurricane has just got me bonkers. We just got power in our home this Tuesday so I wasn't sure about the macOS release. Thanks for the info.

10. NoBoMac macrumors 68020

NoBoMac

If you have been doing backups over wifi, can always plug the device into the Mac and do the backup of the 7 that way. Then restore to 8 cabled.

Now, will need wifi to get the latest iTunes for iOS 11. And app restore on 8 will definitely be over wifi.

11. edlex thread starter macrumors 68000

edlex

That's the thing, I've never done a backup OTA. From day one it's been encrypted backup on iTunes. Comcast is taking forever to fix my internet service after all the damage caused by hurricane Irma.