What are my options to connect iPhone 4/4S/iPad 2 to TV ?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by rak007, Sep 2, 2012.

1. rak007 macrumors 6502a

My wife has an iPhone 4 and I am planning to buy an iPhone 4S soon. Additionally we have an iPad 2 as well. I want to know what options I have to connect these devices to my 46" LCD TV ?
    I know that official apple cables are available but since all the devices are jailbroken I would go for cheaper aftermarket ones.
    The only information I have is there is a RCA cable but is there an HDMI option as well ?
    If yes then does both of these aftermarket variants work well with iPhone 4/4S/iPad 2 (after using appropriate jailbreak tweaks)

2. Mickey8297 macrumors member

Mickey8297

Apple Cable

If this one is too expensive, you could look for a generic version such as this or this.

3. rak007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

In the listings you mentioned, they do not mention iPhone 4S anywhere. Is it some thing different for iPhone 4S ?

4. rak007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry to sound dumb but I have no idea about AirPlay. Do I need to buy something additionally to mirror 4S screen to tv ?

Edit: I did some reading and found that I will need apple tv for AirPlay. I don't wish to buy an apple tv.

5. Mickey8297 macrumors member

Mickey8297

The Apple cable works for the 4S. I think the Amazon ones would work too but they were made before the 4S came out and didn't update their listing.

6. rak007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Worth is always subjective. Without having tried the ebay option linked above I can't comment on my sense of worth regarding it. Even if I could, again, worth is subjective. Do you need USB, card slots and analog video and audio as well as HDMI?

FWIW, I have the Apple digital adapter and it is reliable.

Keep in mind you can't output everything (e.g. video from HBO Go).

And don't overlook former threads on the topic.

8. rak007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

^^Rightly said. And yes i know some restricted content and some apps wont be supported. But i won't be using any iTunes downloaded videos or anything to mirror to TV.
    I would mirror the iOS apps, may be the photos using standard photo viewer and videos if any through the VLC player in iPod/iPhone/iPad.

If anyone has used those 5in1, 6 in 1 kits, please give your opinions here as these as per me look to be better VFM as it has TV out options through HDMI and RCA as well as has the camera connection kit functionality.